Few questions. Is it normal?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

d0minic

Few questions. Is it normal?

#1 Post by d0minic »

I had braces to treat my crossbite and had extractions on all my first premolars to fix what I believe to be bimaxillary protrusion as I constantly have to make an effort to make my lips meet. I have to say I'm glad to have not develop any ulcers yet. So here are my questions.
1. My extraction sites tend to have a sharp pain around the gums when I brush. I read about broken bone or tooth may make their way out but it seems I have the pain issue on all 4 extraction areas. Is it supposed to be like this?
2. I constantly have this feeling of food stuck at the gums where my molar brackets is. I checked and checked to make sure no food is stuck at the hook. Any idea where the feeling comes from?
Help please?

Tobilei

Re: Few questions. Is it normal?

#2 Post by Tobilei »

I'm not a lot of help with the extraction sites. I had a baby tooth out (pre molar) 4 1/2 months ago and I can honestly say that the area is still tender and a little sore when I brush. If no one here can help perhaps ask your dentist if there is a problem just to make sure.

I too often feel food in my molar bracket that isn't there. I think it's a combination of the teeth moving and the wire running across. For some reason it's much more noticable on the molar brackets than any of my other teeth (except the extraction gap, that one is very noticable). It hasn't really changed in the 4 months I've had my braces on so I figure it's just one of those things.

isthistaken

#3 Post by isthistaken »

No extractions here, but I have that same sensation of something stuck on the molars!

Ciara

#4 Post by Ciara »

Yep! I constantly feel as if there is food stuck in my molar brackets. I've spent ages with a mirror, torch, and waterpik trying to get it out only to find nothing there. I think it is a combination of the "feeling" of the molar band between your teeth, pressure and movement that makes it feel like this.

I don't know why you are having pain like that. I had my wisdom teeth removed in the summer and never felt anything like that.

Corrinne

#5 Post by Corrinne »

Hi, I've have loads of teeth extracted. I had supernumerary teeth (more adult teeth than is normal). The last teeth I had removed were all four wisdoms.

I vaguely remember a similar type pain to what you describe. And I have that food around the molar thing too!

Note for anyone else on extractions: The extraction site will build a (this is going to sound gross) a little ball or clump of greeny yellow yuck for a few days to a week. Don't pick this out. Removing food is fine though.
The greeny yellow gunk is what your body produces to help healing, if you clean out the extraction whole too vigorously you could cause dry socket which I've heard is very painful.

Good luck with your braces :)
Four wisdom extracted 03/2011, Braces & quadhelix 09/2011, bimax & genio summer 2013
Blog: http://jawsurgery-journey.blogspot.co.uk
Vlog: https://www.youtube.com/user/doublejawsurgery/videos