Bite Blocks / Turbos

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

NeilH

Bite Blocks / Turbos

#1 Post by NeilH »

Hi, during my first consultation, my orthodontist spoke briefly about putting a small attachment behind my front two upper teeth to prevent my upper teeth from coming into contact with the braces on my lower teeth. Does anyone have any experience of this? It seems like a sensible idea but no doubt would have an effect on eating as I will be unable to fully close my teeth together? Thanks.

beckyboo0205

Re: Bite Blocks / Turbos

#2 Post by beckyboo0205 »

Hey yeah I have those things. They are kinda annoying but I guess the alternative is to chip some teeth so I guess you need them. I am only a week into my braces and my teeth are mostly pain free. Most of my pain was in my front 6 top teeth (which is basically what needs to move as you can see) so having these bite things on those teeth didn't help any with that! A few days in, I was feeling pretty good and decided to try to bite into a banana and I think with the bite things, it made it hard to bite and hurt a little more because of the force pushing against the banana.

Anyhow, once I could start chewing stuff, they were in the way. My mouth doesn't quite close all the way so there is a space between my back teeth. I had to chew really slow so i didn't hit my bite things and my bottom teeth or it would hurt. And still, I hit sometimes and couldn't quite chew all the way. Now I figured out a way to chew where I can chew a bit better with them so they aren't so bad. Just take a little getting used to.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

NeilH

#3 Post by NeilH »

Hi, thank you for your comments. Could I ask, did it effect speaking at all? I can see chewing being difficult but wondered about lisping as well.

beckyboo0205

#4 Post by beckyboo0205 »

I have a bit of a lisp with "s" words like "six" but I don't know if it's the braces or the bite things or the wire running across my gap... no idea.

carlarae

#5 Post by carlarae »

Because of needing fillings and them not being able to get me in until April 10 and April 16, all I'm doing now is waiting, and wondering, and worrying about what my treatment will be (I'll find out on April 16 and get spacers). I actually want the bite turbos on the back of the teeth... it seems like it would be the most logical way to open up an overbite. Is the only other option putting top braces on for awhile first? All I can do now is wonder what exactly they're going to do for my overbite!

EbonyQ

#6 Post by EbonyQ »

I had overbite (deep bite) and was supposed to get bite turbos behind my front teeth. Could not stand the thought of it, it was either no bite turbos or no lower braces.
We gave the upper braces 2-3 extra months to work their magic before put lower braces one. By waiting a little longer with the lower ones I did not need either bite turbos or molar build ups.

But I got this dental phoba and therefor think things are worse than they really are. Many people on this forum has them and I think they are OK with them. They really work wonders with your teeth and bite :thumbsup:

[/url]

NeilH

#7 Post by NeilH »

Thank you. I have another appointment in April and will be asking more about them then. Think I would prefer the Turbo's behind my front teeth to Molar buildups but guess won't know for sure until I start.

NeilH

#8 Post by NeilH »

Following my appointment earlier this week we discussed getting Turbo's to prevent my top teeth knocking off the lower brackets and I will now be getting them when the braces are fitted in a few weeks time. I was shown what they look like and my first impression was 'they are so tiny, how can they cause all the bother some people talk about?' Guess time will tell!

beckyboo0205

#9 Post by beckyboo0205 »

Yeah they probably just feel bigger than they are. They don't really bother me now. But at first, when my front teeth were sore, they created a bigger profile for my tooth to bit things so I think it caused more pain than if I didn't have them. But they are fine now... maybe not tomorrow though when I have my first adjustment!

Leebie3

#10 Post by Leebie3 »

I have molar build ups and they are a pain in the rear! (Pun intended :lol: )

38yr old Mum to 3 (2 teens and a preppie) living in paradise with her man. BSSO surgery approx late April 2014!

NeilH

#11 Post by NeilH »

beckyboo0205 wrote:Yeah they probably just feel bigger than they are. They don't really bother me now. But at first, when my front teeth were sore, they created a bigger profile for my tooth to bit things so I think it caused more pain than if I didn't have them. But they are fine now... maybe not tomorrow though when I have my first adjustment!
Beckyboo, how long did it take you to get used to them?