I finally got them!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

gappedmouth

I finally got them!

#1 Post by gappedmouth »

Well, today I got braces. I haven't felt THAT much pain on their own but they are sore when I accidentally knock them or eat. I didn't realize that more food would get into my braces than my stomach. Then it is painful to brush my teeth! I can so see weight loss because brushing with these things stink.

The ortho originally estimated me at 18 months as a moderate case, but after seeing my X-rays, she said that my case was moderate to difficult. So who knows how long I will be braced? I am hoping for a miraculous case of 12 months. :D

I don't know what kind of braces I have. She did mention they were self-ligating when I asked her what she was clicking in my mouth. I didn't get any fancy swag ortho tools from her. I am pretty sure what I got cost her $1 max each in bulk and that's including the nearly 10% sales tax. I also got a retainer with fake teeth to fill in gaps in the front temporarily. You can see the two teeth on either side without brackets? Is that the name? My teeth shifted after I got extractions without replacing the extracted teeth. My braces will cost $6500, records, $400; and retainer, $450.

ETA: Insurance is covering $1500. I will get implants to replace my extracted teeth when they is all over.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ellabelle

Re: I finally got them!

#2 Post by Ellabelle »

Congrats on starting the journey! Your braces look great!

beckyboo0205

#3 Post by beckyboo0205 »

Hey! They look good! Glad you aren't feelin that much pain. Makes me hopeful. I get mine tomorrow and I'm getting kinda nervous!

Ciara

#4 Post by Ciara »

Congratulations! Your braces look great. 18 months is nothing - I've been told 3 years!

Yes, weight loss happens but you get used to them pretty quickly, although brushing is a pain.

Anna5

#5 Post by Anna5 »

I agree that your braces look great! I think your teeth already look beautiful, so they will be really great when you are done. I wish you very good luck on your journey!

gappedmouth

#6 Post by gappedmouth »

Pain! I can't close down my teeth without pain. I feel pain on the right side of my mouth that makes me feel like I have a tooth ache/cavity. I hope I don't! I had scaling there a couple months ago because of gingivitis. I had to get antibiotics shot into my gums at that time. Sigh. I am hungry and need to figure out what to eat.

joeyyeo

#7 Post by joeyyeo »

gappedmouth wrote:Pain! I can't close down my teeth without pain. I feel pain on the right side of my mouth that makes me feel like I have a tooth ache/cavity. I hope I don't! I had scaling there a couple months ago because of gingivitis. I had to get antibiotics shot into my gums at that time. Sigh. I am hungry and need to figure out what to eat.
Mashed potatoes are nice! Scrambled eggs works as well too! I'm suffering as well, sigh...
Upper braces off after 636 days!

Kipepeo

#8 Post by Kipepeo »

I didn't even notice the fake teeth until you mentioned them.

KatrinkaNoir

#9 Post by KatrinkaNoir »

Congratulations! It gets better :D .

isthistaken

#10 Post by isthistaken »

When my mouth was sore the only thing I wanted was Fruit Chillers. The cold helps with the pain. Drinks like apple juice and chocolate milk are good. Cream of wheat with milk and the aforementioned mashed potatoes for a starch fix. (Oh, how I miss cereal. And chips. And bagels. And and and.) Applesauce is wonderful. I didn't care for it before I got braces, but now I realize its considerable mushy merits.

Ashybear

#11 Post by Ashybear »

I think it's awesome that some orthos give false teeth to cover gaps. I have an impacted canine being brought down and I've had a gap there for 9 months :(

But your teeth look amazing!

Smiles10

#12 Post by Smiles10 »

Congrats on your new journey!

safetysquirrel

#13 Post by safetysquirrel »

Congrats! Keep updated it goes! I get mine on tomorrow morning and I'm super nervous/anxious and excited!

Tobilei

#14 Post by Tobilei »

Pain is bad at first :( I'm the opposite of isthistaken, when my teeth hurt I like warm food. Cold food made my wires feel like they were shrinking and tightening even more or something :?

They look great! Hang in there! The pain will pass and then you start noticing changes and it gets a bit more exciting :)

ETA: I had that weird sensitive cavity pain in the first week too. I went to the dentist 3 or 4 days in to get him to check but he said it was just from my tooth moving and common with braces. If it doesn't pass in a few days or a week maybe book yourself in just to check but it's probably just a bit of movement.

Slack

#15 Post by Slack »

Nice :) mine will take at least 5-6months to look as good as yours look now heheh

I'm no expert, but judging by your brackets, looks like Damon to me - at least they're similar to mine.