Problem with expander ?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

cavacast

Problem with expander ?

#1 Post by cavacast »

Hi

I've had a expander in the roof of my mouth for about 16 weeks now. I had a sore bit on my tongue at first but it healed up & i was totally fine
However i now have a new ulcer on my tongue where the expander touches. It has been there over a week and doesnt seem to be healing. the pain extends into my ear and jaw and is very unpleasent.

Should I be worried or do I just have to wait for my tongue to toughen up again like it did before

katsface

Re: Problem with expander ?

#2 Post by katsface »

When I first had my expander installed, I used a lot of wax on it to buffer my tongue. Can you try putting some wax on the area that's rubbing?
Treatment-
  • Braces: In-Ovation L (lingual) on top, and In-Ovation R (metal) on bottom
  • SARPE
  • BSSO advancement
  • estimated 18-22 months
SARPE
  • Expander installed Jan 14th 2013
  • Surgery Feb 18th 2013
  • Turn 26 days to 13mm. Gap between teeth maxed out at 12-13mm.
  • Gap down to 7mm Apr 18
  • Gap Closed Aug 6
  • Expander out Sep 19
BSSO
  • Insurance approved, surgery scheduled for Dec 18!

cavacast

#3 Post by cavacast »

I have some was , but because of the shape and the position its hard to get it in place and it comes off.

I think part of the problem is I must clench my teeth in my sleep and push my tongue onto it

katsface

#4 Post by katsface »

I think I read someone here used a cushion type band aid wrapped around her expander... maybe that would help if you can't get the wax to stick?
Treatment-
  • Braces: In-Ovation L (lingual) on top, and In-Ovation R (metal) on bottom
  • SARPE
  • BSSO advancement
  • estimated 18-22 months
SARPE
  • Expander installed Jan 14th 2013
  • Surgery Feb 18th 2013
  • Turn 26 days to 13mm. Gap between teeth maxed out at 12-13mm.
  • Gap down to 7mm Apr 18
  • Gap Closed Aug 6
  • Expander out Sep 19
BSSO
  • Insurance approved, surgery scheduled for Dec 18!

cavacast

#5 Post by cavacast »

Thanks , i'll try that. its sort of a W shaped thing ( pointy, oww) not like the others i've seen online

JillianElizabeth

#6 Post by JillianElizabeth »

If your pain is going into your jaw and into your ear that's a sign of infection I would call your doctor about that! Ulcers are one thing but you shouldn't have the secondary pain!