Anyone else have a worse bite now during treatment?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

MilkTeaholic

Anyone else have a worse bite now during treatment?

#1 Post by MilkTeaholic »

Hello,

Newly braced and it has been a month in. Has anyone else have issues with eating due to the fact that their bite is off? I can bite down but not grind because only a few of my molars/premolars touch. Like 1-2 on each side. I am fine but I was just wondering if this will be an issue for the next 24 months.

Thank you :)

starfish88

Re: Anyone else have a worse bite now during treatment?

#2 Post by starfish88 »

Mine has been off and on for all of treatment (and before, I just didn't realise that wasn't how a good bite should feel!) Right now I have rectangular wires top and bottom and very few of my teeth line up. it makes me a messy eater and I get indigestion more often as I don't chew so well. I guess I just keep reminding myself that in a year or so none of it will be a problem and I'll chew properly for the first time in years!

16 months 1 week and 2 days in braces
12mm overjet and narrow jaws all fixed with braces and elastics.
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42441

MilkTeaholic

#3 Post by MilkTeaholic »

That seems to be my conclusion that my bite was that bad that as it is being fixed that I notice it more. I had the sore teeth the first few days but now it is the grinding and not touching part that is a downer. I miss leafy greens and I do get desperate by swallowing food that probably is too big for me. I can relate with the indigestion part. Hopefully, my stomach/digestion can handle this for another 23 months. :) Thanks for the reply and glad that I am not the only one who have trouble eating b/c of the bite and not due to sore/painful teeth.

isthistaken

#4 Post by isthistaken »

Dittoes...had upper/lower full metal braces for one week and noticed almost immediately my bite seemed even more off than before, haven't eaten any solid food yet.

Tobilei

#5 Post by Tobilei »

It's normal. Nothing was wrong with my bite before braces but now I have times where my molars don't touch and I can't chew properly. It passes :)

LadyJennifer

#6 Post by LadyJennifer »

I won't have my braces for two more weeks, but the spacers and these expanders have messed up my bite big time. I just can't wait for it to be better. I'm feeling pretty down about it today:-(

isthistaken

#7 Post by isthistaken »

Somewhat related question: I just noticed kind of a ridged area on my formerly smooth sides of my mouth. I assume these are callouses. I also noticed the braces were a bit more comfortable today. But will the callouses ever go away? #freakingoutabouteverything

Bikerchick85

#8 Post by Bikerchick85 »

My bite changes every day! It is extremely strange right now :( I can't wait to have a normal bite! It seems like it will feel amazing! :)
LadyJennifer wrote:I won't have my braces for two more weeks, but the spacers and these expanders have messed up my bite big time. I just can't wait for it to be better. I'm feeling pretty down about it today:-(
Yes they will go away when you have no more metal mouth :) be thankful for them now! They make braces alot more tolerable! It takes a while to feel more comfortable with them. I still have irritation sometimes after almost 3 months :(

MY STORY.. http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=43860

*4 Premolar Extractions-Nov. 29th, 2012*
*Upper Ceramic Braces-Dec. 11, 2012*
*Lower Metal Braces-Feb. 11th, 2013*
*Est. Sentence-24 months*

isthistaken

#9 Post by isthistaken »

Whew, thank you, biker chick! :)

prairiehouse

#10 Post by prairiehouse »

My bite's gotten worse since braces. Only one pair of molars touch, and my orthodontist told me that I can expect my bite to get worse until surgery.

KatrinkaNoir

#11 Post by KatrinkaNoir »

Yes, my bite seems to change daily, and I've only got the tops on. I will say that I'm not sure if my cheeks are calloused, but I'm a bit concerned...I have indents on my lower lip from the suction of the braces and my overbite. I sure hope that won't be permanent :( .

isthistaken

#12 Post by isthistaken »

Mine's changing daily if not hourly. I think I'm too old for this. :FeelSick:

Ciara

#13 Post by Ciara »

I think I have at least 3 different bites. When they were taking molds for my lower brackets about a month ago, they had to keep retaking them because my bite kept changing. I have problems chewing thin things like shredded cabbage or grated carrot in a salad.