Is Decalcification a Reason not to get Braces?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

amyhenna

Is Decalcification a Reason not to get Braces?

#1 Post by amyhenna »

I am going to be getting braces in a few weeks, and just learned about the risk of decalcifactions.

I plan to take VERY good care of my teeth, and will do everything in my power to not get these. My question is, will this be enough? Are decalcifications completely under our control to avoid, or is some of it left up to the gods to decide?

margarets

Re: Is Decalcification a Reason not to get Braces?

#2 Post by margarets »

No. Zillions of people get braces and generally have no problems with decalcification.

katsface

#3 Post by katsface »

I was told decalcification is largely due to poor hygiene while in braces. That's why you so often see kids with white spots on their teeth during/after braces. But adults are likely to take their increased hygiene demands more seriously than kids. My ortho goes so far as to prescribe Rx fluoride wash and paste for all of his patients to prevent decalcification.

I was a little worried about this at first too, but from what I understand it's largely preventable.
Treatment-
  • Braces: In-Ovation L (lingual) on top, and In-Ovation R (metal) on bottom
  • SARPE
  • BSSO advancement
  • estimated 18-22 months
SARPE
  • Expander installed Jan 14th 2013
  • Surgery Feb 18th 2013
  • Turn 26 days to 13mm. Gap between teeth maxed out at 12-13mm.
  • Gap down to 7mm Apr 18
  • Gap Closed Aug 6
  • Expander out Sep 19
BSSO
  • Insurance approved, surgery scheduled for Dec 18!

Ciara

#4 Post by Ciara »

This is my 2nd time around and got no decalcification the 1st time. As long as you take really good care of your teeth, use a toothpaste with fluoride, and a good mouth wash you should be fine. Your dentist or ortho can also advise you on this. Some will prescribe fluoride trays etc if they think you need it.

anarchy45

#5 Post by anarchy45 »

It seems to me that your concern about decalcification is more of an excuse than a reason :-)

prairiehouse

#6 Post by prairiehouse »

It's shouldn't be a significant concern if you brush with proper technique and for the recommended duration.

sweetcynic

#7 Post by sweetcynic »

It's a big issue with kids(~45% of them, mostly boys, get it) but not with those with good hygiene. Brush and floss daily, and have regular cleanings and you should be fine. Brush once a day and have some soda before bed (like a lot of teens/preteens do), and you probably will get decalcified teeth.