Extracted molar

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Alisonpv

Extracted molar

#1 Post by Alisonpv »

I'm beginning to learn the terminology and such... and I started reading about "molar bands"... I had my bottom (right side) back molar (#31) extracted a few months ago.. Would they attach the molar band to the other molar next to it? But then it would be lopsided compared to the left side?

Questions I'll ask at my consultations (in a month) but, in the meanwhile, I thought I'd pick your collective brains :)

thanks!

I got my braces on June 21, 2013

katsface

Re: Extracted molar

#2 Post by katsface »

I don't have molar bands (I have brackets all the way back) so I could be wrong about this. But, I thought some orthos used molar bands instead of brackets because it's hard to get brackets to stay on molars. It does the same thing as a bracket, it just stays on better, right? Anyway, whether they put a bracket or a molar band on a tooth, it shouldn't make anything lopsided.

On a related note though depending on how they shift your teeth around to fill in the space where your last molar was, your teeth may become off center. This is an extreme example, and may not apply to you, but Tom Cruise is apparently missing a canine (cuspid) on one side, and that makes his midline WAY off. (You can see a demonstration of that here: http://www.baydentalorthodontics.com.au ... ses-smile/ ) His incisor is basically centered in the middle of his smile because of it. I don't know if that kind of midline shift is possible when they remove a molar, and if that's the result they're going for they definitely should have told you before hand, but that's something you should talk to your ortho about.
Treatment-
  • Braces: In-Ovation L (lingual) on top, and In-Ovation R (metal) on bottom
  • SARPE
  • BSSO advancement
  • estimated 18-22 months
SARPE
  • Expander installed Jan 14th 2013
  • Surgery Feb 18th 2013
  • Turn 26 days to 13mm. Gap between teeth maxed out at 12-13mm.
  • Gap down to 7mm Apr 18
  • Gap Closed Aug 6
  • Expander out Sep 19
BSSO
  • Insurance approved, surgery scheduled for Dec 18!

Alisonpv

#3 Post by Alisonpv »

omg... I never noticed that..

Ok so the bracket vs molar band question... Why do brackets not like to stay on back molars?

Alisonpv

#4 Post by Alisonpv »

about the midline shift - the dentist didn't mention that... he DID mention the opposing molar "over-erupting" and becoming "longer" since there wasn't a force against it anymore... but he also mentioned it takes years.

My goal (hope) is to get an implant once the orthodontics are over...

isthistaken

#5 Post by isthistaken »

I have full metal braces upper and lower and no bands around any teeth at this juncture. Maybe that will happen later. Or maybe it depends on the case. Or maybe since I'm getting a TAD it's moot? They don't tell me everything!!! :o I should add I am signed up for SureSmile so I don't know if that makes a difference either.
Last edited by isthistaken on Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

katsface

#6 Post by katsface »

I really don't know why brackets don't like to stick to molars. I always assumed that it's because molars have more contour than the rest of your teeth which are basically flat on the front. But that's just a guess. I've got brackets on all of my teeth, like I said, even on a first molar crown. Crowns are apparently notoriously hard to get a bracket to stick. But my ortho said he would rather try to bond a bracket 5 times than put molar bands on. (He doesn't like molar bands for a bunch of reasons.) I'm 7 weeks into treatment and haven't had anything pop off yet. Keep your fingers crossed for me! And I'll keep my fingers crossed that you don't have to get bands. :)

Sorry, I don't mean to worry you about a midline shift. I obviously don't know what your teeth look like or what your treatment plan is. If he's on board with you getting an implant to fill in the extraction gap, there's probably no reason for your midline to shift. I just wanted to bring that possibility to your attention so you could ask your ortho about it.
Treatment-
  • SARPE
  • BSSO advancement
  • estimated 18-22 months
SARPE
  • Surgery Feb 18th 2013
  • Gap down to 7mm Apr 18
  • Gap Closed Aug 6
  • Expander out Sep 19
BSSO

isthistaken

#7 Post by isthistaken »

My daughter had bands she said they caused terrible gum infections.

katsface

#8 Post by katsface »

Suresmile probably won't make a difference. Basically, suresmile takes the guess work out of the refinement phase of treatment. Your ortho comes up with a computerized prescription for how your teeth should move, and a robot bends an archwire to get your teeth to move where the ortho wants them. Traditionally, the ortho would bend the wire himself which could involve some guesswork and trial/error. Suresmile is supposed to make the end of your treatment a more refined streamlined process.

But it shouldn't effect whether the ortho wants to shift your teeth to fill in the extraction gap or not. Either he does, or he doesn't. If he want's to shift your teeth to fill in the gap, you should let him know that you want room for an implant. Otherwise he might shift your teeth into the gap, which is what would effect your midline.

I hope that made sense!

PS I think that's one of the reasons my ortho doesn't like molar bands. He said food gets stuck in them, and the spacers you need to have the bands installed hurt a lot.
Treatment-
  • SARPE
  • BSSO advancement
  • estimated 18-22 months
SARPE
  • Surgery Feb 18th 2013
  • Gap down to 7mm Apr 18
  • Gap Closed Aug 6
  • Expander out Sep 19
BSSO

isthistaken

#9 Post by isthistaken »

Indeed, she said the spacers hurt terribly. Her ortho has since retired. Her teeth turned out beautifully but bands might be a bit old school.

Alisonpv

#10 Post by Alisonpv »

Interesting thoughts... I also have 2 crowns also on the bottom but the other side...

I never considered the dentist could MOVE the teeth to fill the cap at the back in.... On the bottom I don't care as much about a midline.. my bottom teeth don't show when I smile naturally.. (top teeth I care ;) )

What is a TAD? is it surgical?

oldfart

#11 Post by oldfart »

A TAD is basically a screw that goes directly into the side of your jaw. It is supposed to be pretty painless (just a little local anesthetic), but I have not had one. Go Youtube it, and you can find orthos doing it to themselves.
Braces on: 2/25/2013. Braces Off: 12/23/2015
Current Retainers: Hawley Top, Essix Bottom, and Permanent Lingual Bottom

Alisonpv

#12 Post by Alisonpv »

:shock: visualizing Frankenstein's monster LOL

isthistaken

#13 Post by isthistaken »

I'm one who won't go to the doctor because I can't even bear a blood test. I wonder what my face looked like when they broke the news about the TAD. A screw? In my jaw? Say it ain't so... :shock:

Ciara

#14 Post by Ciara »

I'm getting molar bands on my lower 2nd molars (no wisdom teeth) because on one side both molars have expensive porcelain fillings that look very nice but my ortho and dentist said they are not as strong as traditional metal fillings. My ortho is worried that the force of a bracket my damage the filling so is putting bands instead.
I may also need a band on my upper right 1st molar because the bracket is having a hard time staying attached. She tried a different kind of bonding agent yesterday but said if it comes off again, she will have to put a band (spacer first!). This tooth is also heavily restored (metal filling - will be replaced with ceramic or porcelain when finished).