How many brackets have fallen off during your treatment?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

slippery

How many brackets have fallen off during your treatment?

#1 Post by slippery »

I've had my first bracket fall off. It's been 1 month into my treatment. I'm wondering how common it is for other people's brackets to fall off? I didn't eat anything hard/sticky. I had noodles, rinsed my mouth and next thing I know the bracket is just sliding along the wire.

Tobilei

Re: How many brackets have fallen off during your treatment?

#2 Post by Tobilei »

I've had 1. It came unstuck while I was in the chair having an adjustment. He said it was because the enamel on that tooth is different and it didn't stick as well. A bit of extra cement stuff and it's been fine since.

I don't think it's uncommon. Make an emergency appointment and your ortho will pop it back on :)

Ciara

#3 Post by Ciara »

One so far (3 months in). It popped off while eating banana crepes so nothing hard or chewy.

Slack

#4 Post by Slack »

Well, as my ortho said, i'm an exception... at 3 weeks, 7 brackets fell off already :) - one by one, not several at a time. That's highly uncommon, though, as he pointed. Maybe my teeth's enamel is somewhat different, maybe the glue on that first day wasn't so consistent, I don't know. But it looks to be stable now.

I should mention that I was able to eat almost anything since day 3, which I did, so... that might have helped speed things up :)

Sita

#5 Post by Sita »

None yet and I'm almost 12 months in. I have lost/broken/eaten B4 elastics but not had loose brackets.

Ceramic uppers, metal lowers put on March 6 2012 to fix spacing issues and traumatic malocclusion. Estimated treatment time is 24 months.

isthistaken

#6 Post by isthistaken »

One came loose almost immediately after it was applied (at the ortho) so don't know if that counts. I've been told to expect it with 25 per cent of my teeth being crowns, but one week in, so far so good. I'm hoping sticking to smooth food might help since that's all I want to eat right now anyway, although I have been craving chicken in the worst way and I don't even like chicken. :roll:

busy bee

#7 Post by busy bee »

One of mine came off the day I was braced and I swallowed it. My orthodontist didn't replace it as it was the last one at the back and he said it probably wasn't needed anyway. Since then, none have come off again.

szelda64

#8 Post by szelda64 »

One so far, but I was told it was because of the excess bonding on the tooth that the bracket came off of.

Angel269

#9 Post by Angel269 »

1, day after at the back (pre molar).

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

My braces story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42457

Impressions-08/06/12
Big Day-22/06/12
Started using Bite Plate-14/07/12
Estimated treatment-8 months (upper ceramics)
Debond date-04/03/13

OldBikerBag

#10 Post by OldBikerBag »

One. It was glued to a filling. I chewed a piece of chicken and it popped off. I thought it was a bit of chicken bone, so I spit it out the window without looking to see what it was. Then I realized my right lower first molar was naked.

It was early in my treatment. When I went in for a replacement, the tech looked at me like a bug on a pin, thinking very loudly: "Problem child." Her attitude turned around when she realized there is a filling right where that bracket goes. She put extra glue on it and I haven't had a problem since.
385 Days in Damon Braces

TMJJill

#11 Post by TMJJill »

3 for me I think. First in-office when I got the brackets on. Fixed immediately. The other 2 were both off the same tooth which is a crown. In both cases, I swallowed the bracket without noticing it.

Braces as Phase II treatment for TMJD.
Lower mandibular repositioning splint 26 months.
Lower braces on 10.75 months into Phase II treatment.
Duration in braces: 2 years, 2 weeks, 5 days
Removal of Braces: September 18, 2013

TMJD treatment now complete!

slippery

#12 Post by slippery »

I got my bracket glued back on today. The assistant said she sees it happen quite commonly, especially with younger kids lol.

peppy

#13 Post by peppy »

Had my first fall off this morning. I'm 3 weeks in. Accidentally chewed an almond in an overly vigourous manner. It was on the wire but slipped off just now. I have it stored someone safe as I'm going in tomorrow to have it glued back on! It's my back right bracket on bottom.
Debraced on Friday 20th September 2013!

Loving my new smile :-D

MrsCharisma

#14 Post by MrsCharisma »

about 6 weeks in...no lost brackets.

http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=45175

Female, 34
Braced: 1/24/13 (upper) and 5/3/13 (lower)
Sentence: 18-24 months
Ceramic uppers, metal lowers

[/url]

missblu3

#15 Post by missblu3 »

So...I have an underbite (dental, not skeletal), and I just woke up because, even with bite blocks in place, I guess my teeth have been shifting and now the bottom teeth touch the top brackets, and just popped one loose.

Problem is...I figured out how to open the bracket, but because of the location, I can't quite get it out/off. I'm afraid to pull the wire too far forward to get it out because I don't want to bring any more brackets with it. Help?

In-Ovation C Upper Arch, In-Ovation R Lower Arch