Does anyone actually have traditional metal braces anymore

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

isthistaken

Re: Does anyone actually have traditional metal braces anymo

#46 Post by isthistaken »

Tobilei, my ortho also said there would be no difference in treatment time between metal and clear. They were really pushing clear but I was too embarassed to tell them I had dreamed of braces for 40 years and all that time the braces in my mind were shiny bright silver things! I just kind of blushed and said they're cheaper, so let's go with metal. :oops:

jandshiltz

#47 Post by jandshiltz »

Welcome! I have traditional full metal on upper and lower. Other than feeling too old for a mouth full of silver, it's been pretty good! :) Good Luck on your beautiful smile journey!

rhibee83

#48 Post by rhibee83 »

Thanks guys! :) glad to hear some people are still going traditional metal :)

Tobilei

#49 Post by Tobilei »

isthistaken wrote:Tobilei, my ortho also said there would be no difference in treatment time between metal and clear. They were really pushing clear but I was too embarassed to tell them I had dreamed of braces for 40 years and all that time the braces in my mind were shiny bright silver things! I just kind of blushed and said they're cheaper, so let's go with metal. :oops:
Haha, that's great (the fact that you'd always dreamed of the silver I mean, not the fact that you were too embarrassed to say so, you should have! Your ortho's look might have been priceless with so many adults choosing clears!).

This thread kind of makes me wonder if I made the wrong choice :?

isthistaken

#50 Post by isthistaken »

I agree, I should have! Now he just thinks I'm a cheapskate. :lol:

Dee17

#51 Post by Dee17 »

Oh, I'm sure he doesn't think you're a cheapskate. Probably just thinks you're a frugal pragmatist!
Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take,
but by the moments that take your breath away.
-- Maya Angelou

[
My story here: [url]http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=42752

and here:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42976

My blog: http://dvorahstraintracksadventure.blogspot.ca/

rhibee83

#52 Post by rhibee83 »

Tobilei wrote:
isthistaken wrote:Tobilei, my ortho also said there would be no difference in treatment time between metal and clear. They were really pushing clear but I was too embarassed to tell them I had dreamed of braces for 40 years and all that time the braces in my mind were shiny bright silver things! I just kind of blushed and said they're cheaper, so let's go with metal. :oops:
Haha, that's great (the fact that you'd always dreamed of the silver I mean, not the fact that you were too embarrassed to say so, you should have! Your ortho's look might have been priceless with so many adults choosing clears!).

No you haven't made the wrong choice :) you made the right choice for you! And your teeth are going so great :)

isthistaken

#53 Post by isthistaken »

As much as I like steel, there are downsides. For one thing, at my age sometimes I think at first glance it might look like my teeth are decayed. That is something I hadn't thought about beforehand. I also didn't realize how quickly my teeth would look much straighter. With clear brackets you are really getting an extra year of beautiful teeth because they are so invisible it's like getting them off much earlier. I'm not regretting it but there are pros and cons.

rhibee83

#54 Post by rhibee83 »

yeh you are right, there are pros and cons to both kinds :)

I have not heard of anyone have the ligating braces (the ones that go behind the teeth) I think they wouldnt work as well as if they were on the front of the teeth. But I think steal or ceramic, they both have pros and cons and I guess it depends on what you want as to what you choose :)

Veviticus

#55 Post by Veviticus »

I will be getting all metal, since my Otho said that the metal is better.
A co-worker has the ceramics and told me to get the metal because the ceramics eventually wear down, and now it's hard to keep the bands on, because there is hardly any of the lip left on the bracket.

rhibee83

#56 Post by rhibee83 »

Veviticus wrote:I will be getting all metal, since my Otho said that the metal is better.
A co-worker has the ceramics and told me to get the metal because the ceramics eventually wear down, and now it's hard to keep the bands on, because there is hardly any of the lip left on the bracket.
I am getting metal as well, as my Ortho also said they were better and stronger. I was disheartened at first, but then I thought oh well, either way people will see them and I might as well embrace them and get some cool colours lol!

mine go on in 2 weeks :)

carlarae

#57 Post by carlarae »

I'm getting traditional metal! Hey, they're cheaper, smaller, and they don't discolor! Ceramic may be harder to see from far away, but they seem bigger/chunkier, so you still can kinda tell there's something in someone's mouth. So I may as well embrace it! I think I'll start with gray ligatures, but I may venture out to pink and aquamarine (my favorite colors together)! May as well have some fun!

Dee17

#58 Post by Dee17 »

My orthodontist also uses ceramic brackets but when I told him I'd decided to go with metal he said they were better and that he gets better results with them because he can control things better. I ultimately opted for metal brackets because everything I was reading about ceramic said that they were bigger and bulker in the mouth. I decided that I didn't want that kind of feeling for two years -- so metal it was for me. It was kind of hard adjusting to them but now everything is okay. I really haven't regretted my decision. One of my kids told me that I look like a teenager. That may be true but I never had this much grey hair when I was a teenager! :)
Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take,
but by the moments that take your breath away.
-- Maya Angelou

[
My story here: [url]http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=42752

and here:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42976

My blog: http://dvorahstraintracksadventure.blogspot.ca/

Tobilei

#59 Post by Tobilei »

rhibee83 wrote:
Tobilei wrote:

No you haven't made the wrong choice :) you made the right choice for you! And your teeth are going so great :)
Thank you :D I feel a bit better now (will just stop reading this thread from here on in :P )

xanidu2012

#60 Post by xanidu2012 »

I've been braced now for 10 months. I've got metal uppers and lowers. I love my braces especially since I can have fun changing colors with the ligs. Just getting used to the elastics. And they are a good conversation starter. :tingrin:
Just call me brace face. :jump: