Does anyone actually have traditional metal braces anymore

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Dee17

Re: Does anyone actually have traditional metal braces anymo

#16 Post by Dee17 »

I have Damon Q self-ligating all metal braces on top and bottom. I am 54 years old. My orthodontist also uses ceramic braces and doesn't charge his patients the differential in cost. But when I told him I was going to opt for the all metal he said that it was a better choice, that he gets a better result with the metal brackets and they are easier for him to control. I decided against the ceramic brackets because everything I found online about them seemed to indicate that they were "bigger" and felt "bulkier" in the mouth. I decided that I really did not want the feeling of anything more in my mouth than what I was going to have. But ultimately, you will have to decide what you're most comfortable with. Only two people have ever commented on my braces and they were both doctors. I've been told that doctors are supposed to be "more observant". I think that if you look at the postings on the board carefully you'll discover that while most people seem to opt for the ceramic braces, there are still many of us here who have all metal.
Good luck with whatever you decide.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take,
but by the moments that take your breath away.
-- Maya Angelou

[
My story here: [url]http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=42752

and here:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42976

My blog: http://dvorahstraintracksadventure.blogspot.ca/

rhibee83

#17 Post by rhibee83 »

wow thank you every one for your advice, tips and stories :)

Sorry I didn't reply sooner!!

it is nice to know that many people still have the full metal mouth lol :) it is comforting and I feel happy to get all metal and you are right, I can put cool colours on them to jazz them up a bit lol!

I really appreciate everyones input on these boards, they make me feel so much calmer and confident about everything :)

BIG THANKS! :jump: :flowerbloom:

prairiehouse

#18 Post by prairiehouse »

I have full metal braces. I'm a surgical case and was told that they're stronger and therefore better suited for surgery.

junglejulie

#19 Post by junglejulie »

i have full metal, it was cheaper

Getting rid of my diastema, finally

rhibee83

#20 Post by rhibee83 »

YAYYYY! go the metal braces :) the orthodontist said that ceramic were only $200 more and i thought wow that isnt to bad, but in the end im going all metal, i am looking forward to having the confidence to play with the coloured ligs :)

nikkibabie19

#21 Post by nikkibabie19 »

i have traditional metal upper and lowers. And its fine with me....Plus ive heard that ceramic brackets are generally larger than metal ones. And aside from the price difference i didnt want the added trouble or being uncomfortable when trying to close my mouth over the larger brackets.

Me with elastics : http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=46327

FINALLY Me after braces : http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=46650
[/color]

joeyyeo

#22 Post by joeyyeo »

Don't ever doubt any choices you make, always believe that you know what's right for yourself (: Look for the positive things in everything you do!

rhibee83

#23 Post by rhibee83 »

nikkibabie19 wrote:i have traditional metal upper and lowers. And its fine with me....Plus ive heard that ceramic brackets are generally larger than metal ones. And aside from the price difference i didnt want the added trouble or being uncomfortable when trying to close my mouth over the larger brackets.
Yep that is my feeling too, I have noticed that the ceramic are quite big, and I saw some metal braces that look alot smaller so I am excited to have the metal ones and play around with colours :)

Dee17

#24 Post by Dee17 »

Yes, I was very pleasantly surprised when I came home after having my braces put on. I didn't want to look in the mirror while I was there because I was afraid I would burst into tears. But when I got home I looked in the mirror and they were indeed quite small. Somehow they seem much bigger to me now when I look at them but I try to avoid actually looking in the mirror too much. Overall, I've been very happy with them and have not regretted getting metal brackets at all.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take,
but by the moments that take your breath away.
-- Maya Angelou

[
My story here: [url]http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=42752

and here:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42976

My blog: http://dvorahstraintracksadventure.blogspot.ca/

MrsCharisma

#25 Post by MrsCharisma »

I don't think everyone does have a choice...I think that the type of treatment you need might entice your ortho to use metal over ceramic. The cermaic braces ARE larger and bulkier in your mouth (stainless steel will be stronger and therefore can be smaller).

If you have a choice and want one over the other...go for what you want!

I have ceramic uppers with pearl ligs (NOT clear!!!). They were slightly stained when after about 3 weeks but mainly because I stopped trying to avoid "colored" foods like tomato soup.

http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=45175

Female, 34
Braced: 1/24/13 (upper) and 5/3/13 (lower)
Sentence: 18-24 months
Ceramic uppers, metal lowers

[/url]

Ellabelle

#26 Post by Ellabelle »

I have traditional metal, as does my fiancé. Our ortho stated all the benefits aforementioned, cheaper, more durable, faster treatment. Plus we both like the look of stainless steel, so traditional metal was an easy choice for us. We're having fun with lig colors too! If your're going to do this as an adult, you might as well have fun with it! I can genuinely say that I love my braces. :) Good luck with your b-day and I look forward to following your story.

rhibee83

#27 Post by rhibee83 »

Ellabelle wrote:I have traditional metal, as does my fiancé. Our ortho stated all the benefits aforementioned, cheaper, more durable, faster treatment. Plus we both like the look of stainless steel, so traditional metal was an easy choice for us. We're having fun with lig colors too! If your're going to do this as an adult, you might as well have fun with it! I can genuinely say that I love my braces. :) Good luck with your b-day and I look forward to following your story.
thanks Ellabelle! i get my braces in a month so i am very excited now cos i just had teeth extracted so the next step is braces!! I am looking forward to metal as I think they will suit me anyway,(i hope) hehehe

:)

zdenka

#28 Post by zdenka »

My ortho said they were the same (other than the price lol) for what I needed. She even told me that if I changed my mind the day of, she could just switch a few brackets around and give me what I wanted.

I picked ceramics because I wanted to go un-noticed but they show anyway. So for me it wouldn't have made any difference. Had she ever said that the treatment would have been shorter one way or another I would have gone with that option.

Good luck. :)
Total sentence 567 days. :)
Debond day: Dec 10, 2013

rawr101

#29 Post by rawr101 »

I have full metal top and will have the metal bottoms put on soon.

TinkB

#30 Post by TinkB »

I have traditional metal top and bottom.

No regrets!!! :D
Metal brackets & 4 bands on May 12, 2011
4 Premolars Extracted on May 20, 2011
Fully braced on May 25, 2011
My sentence - 24 to 30 months

My Story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=39348