Food, Glorious Food

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

isthistaken

Food, Glorious Food

#1 Post by isthistaken »

I'm anxious to try it. After five days, still not eating anything I have to bite down on. I am currently living on Cream of Wheat and these amazing snacks from Del Monte called Fruit Chillers. The Arctic Strawberry is awesome. Anyone else try these? I could eat them all day, and do. :lol:

Ciara

Re: Food, Glorious Food

#2 Post by Ciara »

isthistaken wrote:I'm anxious to try it. After five days, still not eating anything I have to bite down on. I am currently living on Cream of Wheat and these amazing snacks from Del Monte called Fruit Chillers. The Arctic Strawberry is awesome. Anyone else try these? I could eat them all day, and do. :lol:

I've never heard of them but I just had a bowl of porridge, and purred strawberry with ice-cream for dessert. No chewing necessary!

isthistaken

#3 Post by isthistaken »

This is only my first week, but I notice you have had your braces for three months, Ciara! So maybe this is the new normal and I should buy stock in Del Monte. :shock:

Tobilei

#4 Post by Tobilei »

You'll chew again I promise! I know it feels like you won't though :( Ciara just had spacers put in so that causes a whole other kind of dental pain and a period of not being able to eat.

It took me about 2-3 weeks to be back to mince and bread etc. By week 4 I could eat meat and crunchy things again. I go back to soft foods after an adjustment and every now and then some random teeth hurt and I don't chew for a day or 2 but mostly it's all back to normal. Hang in there!

isthistaken

#5 Post by isthistaken »

Thanks, Tobilei! I've been joking that I'm going to lose so much weight that I'm going to slide out of my braces. This must be REALLY hard for growing teenagers who actually need to eat.

Ciara

#6 Post by Ciara »

isthistaken wrote:This is only my first week, but I notice you have had your braces for three months, Ciara! So maybe this is the new normal and I should buy stock in Del Monte. :shock:

I've had upper brackets for 3 months, lower ones went on yesterday but my lower molars aren't braced yet. Instead I have "lovely" blue spacers. I tried to eat a piece of very soft bread for breakfast but couldn't. Instead, strawberry and blueberry puree with yoghurt and a banana. I might be joining you in investing in Del Monte!

isthistaken

#7 Post by isthistaken »

Ouch! So glad I don't have spacers, as I am a lightweight about pain. But maybe they are coming down the pike, you never know with this orthodontic bunch what they will spring on you next. Kind of like a magician at the circus pulling endless instruments of dental torture out of a hat. "And for my next trick...." :crazy:

Tobilei

#8 Post by Tobilei »

isthistaken wrote:Thanks, Tobilei! I've been joking that I'm going to lose so much weight that I'm going to slide out of my braces. This must be REALLY hard for growing teenagers who actually need to eat.
Yeah, I said the same. But I can eat again now and it turns out most runny food seems to be junk food (looking at you ice cream!)

As for teenagers, I don't know about all of them, but mine seems to cope way better with hers than I do with mine and happily chows down the night after she gets an adjustment (she ate steak the night she got them on!)

isthistaken

#9 Post by isthistaken »

So true... who knew there were so many calorific soft and creamy things to eat? :tingrin:

Tobilei

#10 Post by Tobilei »

isthistaken wrote:So true... who knew there were so many calorific soft and creamy things to eat? :tingrin:
Haha, I know!

junglejulie

#11 Post by junglejulie »

low fat greek yogurt, bananas, soft veggie burgers and low cal soups are helping me lose weight

oh and hummus.

Getting rid of my diastema, finally

isthistaken

#12 Post by isthistaken »

Awesome, junglejulie... I'm not a huge yogurt fan so I tried Greek for the first time the other day. Good but spendy, so I read one can make this by putting regular yogurt--I just grabbed some Dannon vanilla--in a coffee filter in a colander--I'm using the coffee drip thing and let the whey drip out. Can't wait to try it for breakfast.

MrsCharisma

#13 Post by MrsCharisma »

I totally lost 5 lbs the week I had my spacers in - torture! LOL!!!

Hummus was my friend. I'm not a soup fan but had to eat it...and returned to soup after my last adjustment. Mashed bananas, mashed sweet potatoes, yogurt...fish can be very soft and easy to eat (and high in protein). I don't like eggs, but they can be a good non-chewing food. Err...applesauce, power smoothies if you have a blender.

http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=45175

Female, 34
Braced: 1/24/13 (upper) and 5/3/13 (lower)
Sentence: 18-24 months
Ceramic uppers, metal lowers

[/url]

isthistaken

#14 Post by isthistaken »

Sweet potatoes!!! OMG I did not think of that!!! I LOVE yams!!! I usually would have them whole but mashed/whipped would work!!! THANKS A BUNCH!!!! :flowerbloom: I tried zucchini last night but they would not cook down and I should have peeled them. FAIL.

busy bee

#15 Post by busy bee »

isthistaken wrote:Ouch! So glad I don't have spacers, as I am a lightweight about pain. But maybe they are coming down the pike, you never know with this orthodontic bunch what they will spring on you next. Kind of like a magician at the circus pulling endless instruments of dental torture out of a hat. "And for my next trick...." :crazy:
I felt like my braces were instruments of torture when they first went on. Didn't take long to get used to them though. And now I love what they are achieving!