HEY EVERYONE: I need your opinions plz on a new toothbrush

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

bbsadmin

HEY EVERYONE: I need your opinions plz on a new toothbrush

#1 Post by bbsadmin »

There is a product that has come to my attention, and I would like some of your opinons about its concept. Would you buy this???

It is an electronic toothbrush which uses ultrasound waves to clean the teeth. The brush head doesn't move, and you don't actually brush your teeth with it. You just hold the device on the surface of the teeth and let the ultrasound waves do their work. There is no brushing action at all. It uses a special toothpaste meant to enhance the cleaning action of the ultrasound waves. You cannot use regular toothpaste -- you can only use the toothpaste that is made specially for the toothbrush. The toothpaste has a fresh minty flavor and you only use a very small amount per cleaning.

You spread the toothpaste on the teeth, then hold the ultrasound toothbrush on the surface of each tooth for 5 to 10 seconds, being sure to get all of the tooth surfaces.

The cost of this toothbrush is around $175. It is being widely used right now in Europe. I think there is a money-back guarantee of some sort on the product.

It is gets your teeth extremely clean and remove stains in a way that no other toothbrush can. It is also very good for cleaning teeth which have braces. The ultrasound technology also kills the bacteria on the surface of the toothbrush, so it stays sanitized. In addition, the ultrasound technology kills bacteria on the teeth and under the gumline to help people with periodontal problems.

Can I get your reactions to this product, given the description I just supplied to you? Would you be interested in this toothbrush? Would you pay $175 or more for such an item?
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

Kipepeo

Re: HEY EVERYONE: I need your opinions plz on a new toothbru

#2 Post by Kipepeo »

I would be worried the ultrasound would loosen the glue holding brackets on. For non braced teeth, I just can't imagine the surfaces of the teeth would feel smooth and clean without physical brushing.

As a microbiologist I'm not convinced ultrasound kills bacteria. In fact studies show it actually enhances growth. It may loosen and remove cells from teeth and gums, but not kill them.

A $175, I'm a total skeptic and I would need real user's reviews on how they felt it cleaned, and actual clinical study data to support the claim of removing plaque and killing bacteria.

Edit: after I wrote the above I searched around. Pretty sure I found the toothbrush you're referring to. Since I work in regulatory, the first thing I want to know about is whether the device has been cleared by the FDA (for use here in the US). I couldn't find it in the databases, so I asked the company for the info.

It looks very promising, and if it does what they claim I would be very interested in using it.

isthistaken

#3 Post by isthistaken »

It sounds (no pun intended) amazing! I'm wondering if not physically brushing the brackets and wires so much might be a good thing.

katsface

#4 Post by katsface »

This sounds a lot like a sonicare, except the bristles move in an ultrasonic wave rather than a sonic one, right?

I'm a little turned off by the fact that you can only use one toothpaste. What do you do if they discontinue the brush, or the paste contains ingredients that you're sensitive to/ avoiding?

My curiosity is piqued, but I probably wouldn't buy one as my sonicare already does a fantastic job.

As a side note, I would love it if you offered third party or bulk sonicare toothbrush heads, as the sonicare ones are EXPENSIVE!
Treatment-
  • Braces: In-Ovation L (lingual) on top, and In-Ovation R (metal) on bottom
  • SARPE
  • BSSO advancement
  • estimated 18-22 months
SARPE
  • Expander installed Jan 14th 2013
  • Surgery Feb 18th 2013
  • Turn 26 days to 13mm. Gap between teeth maxed out at 12-13mm.
  • Gap down to 7mm Apr 18
  • Gap Closed Aug 6
  • Expander out Sep 19
BSSO
  • Insurance approved, surgery scheduled for Dec 18!

bbsadmin

#5 Post by bbsadmin »

I've seen "generic" Sonicare heads at my local CVS pharmacy recently. I haven't bought them yet so I can't say how they compare to the OEM, but they are significantly less expensive than the OEM ones. (OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer, aka Sonicare).
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

katsface

#6 Post by katsface »

Thank you so much for the heads up! I usually shop at Walgreens, but I will check CVS.
Treatment-
  • Braces: In-Ovation L (lingual) on top, and In-Ovation R (metal) on bottom
  • SARPE
  • BSSO advancement
  • estimated 18-22 months
SARPE
  • Expander installed Jan 14th 2013
  • Surgery Feb 18th 2013
  • Turn 26 days to 13mm. Gap between teeth maxed out at 12-13mm.
  • Gap down to 7mm Apr 18
  • Gap Closed Aug 6
  • Expander out Sep 19
BSSO
  • Insurance approved, surgery scheduled for Dec 18!

junglejulie

#7 Post by junglejulie »

I would love to try this. But I would still probably alternate this with using a regular brush out of fear.

Getting rid of my diastema, finally

NervousNewbie

#8 Post by NervousNewbie »

*bump* Did you buy the brush? Are you able to reveal the mystery product yet? I, too, am looking for a new toothbrush to replace my old-school Sonicare that I got 2.5 years ago.

Braced September 23, 2010
Debraced February 20, 2014
Estimated Treatment Time: 24 months
Actual Treatment Time: 41 months

My Journey

isthistaken

#9 Post by isthistaken »

I've found that brushing with braces sometimes hurts. I think it would be great to not have to actually brush and the teeth might get cleaner because when they hurt you avoid those areas. I have never been one to spend much on gadgets but with braces you sort of cross that Rubicon fairly quickly. :lol: