Lisping

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

oldfart

Lisping

#1 Post by oldfart »

What do you sound like?

For the most part my speech is okay. There are some words that just do not come out. I teach martial arts and it will be interesting as I can't say fists. So it will be like.

"Be sure to keep your fithts tight."

Also consontants at the beginning of words are easier. I think as you have more time to think about them.

"She sells shesells by the thethore." I can make the S at the beginning of that okay, but not the rest.

L's and Rs are fun. It sounds like I live in Boston.

"I need to wawk the dog, and then pawk the caw" R's actually have been a problem for a bit as from speech class when i was a kid I remember that the tongue goes between the first molar and the premolar to make the sound. Just on one side I have a big hole there where a tooth is missing.

Talking does hurt, so by the end of the day last night I could barely understand myself.

"Yeth dear, I gave Jayke hith medithine"

"Anyone who wantths to come to the thtore get in the caw."

Part of it is laziness. It's the catch 22 between enunciating properly and scrawtching your cheeks and impaling your tongue more, or being lazy and just getting the words out and hope you don't have to say anything else.

Hope everyone has a good Wenthday.

of
Braces on: 2/25/2013. Braces Off: 12/23/2015
Current Retainers: Hawley Top, Essix Bottom, and Permanent Lingual Bottom

busy bee

Re: Lisping

#2 Post by busy bee »

My speech is still not 100% after nearly 3 months. I have lingual braces on the top which really affected my speech at first. It's much better now and other people don't seem to notice but I can hear a difference. Especially the'st' sound and it gets worse when I'm tired or trying to talk too quickly.

Kipepeo

#3 Post by Kipepeo »

I notice my speech is troubled when I have elastics in (class II). They hold the cheeks out away from the teeth so air passes through. But to me it feels like my cheeks are a bit numb and non responsive. My front teeth are pretty stable now, but when they were moving and turning a bit I had a lisp in the morning. So annoying.

katsface

#4 Post by katsface »

I've got lingual brackets on top, a palatal expander that feels like a horse bit, just had my SARPE surgery last week, and have a new growing gap between my front teeth. Yeah. Spéch hath bén an isthue.
Treatment-
  • Braces: In-Ovation L (lingual) on top, and In-Ovation R (metal) on bottom
  • SARPE
  • BSSO advancement
  • estimated 18-22 months
SARPE
  • Expander installed Jan 14th 2013
  • Surgery Feb 18th 2013
  • Turn 26 days to 13mm. Gap between teeth maxed out at 12-13mm.
  • Gap down to 7mm Apr 18
  • Gap Closed Aug 6
  • Expander out Sep 19
BSSO
  • Insurance approved, surgery scheduled for Dec 18!

Tobilei

#5 Post by Tobilei »

I had minor problems with S when I first got mine on and bigger problems with B (not sure why). There was another letter too I had trouble with but I can't remember what it was anymore.

I've noticed though that I pretty much speak normally now unless I'm tired or have talked too much (easily done for me) or my mouth is really dry (usually due to the aforementioned talking too much). I am more spitty than I used to be though :oops:

xanidu2012

#6 Post by xanidu2012 »

When I talk slow the words come out fine. When I speak fast I lisp. There
is a microphone on my smartphone where you can speak your text instead of type it. When I try to use it it tells me no translation available. :crazy:

Sita

#7 Post by Sita »

I had a lot of 'shushing' going on. By that I mean the letter 'S' became 'Sh' and lots of words without an 'S' still ended up with a 'Sh' either at the beginning or end. This resolved itself quickly thankfully. I had trouble with the letter 'L' after my first adjustment but that was only only for a short time as well.

Ceramic uppers, metal lowers put on March 6 2012 to fix spacing issues and traumatic malocclusion. Estimated treatment time is 24 months.

anarchy45

#8 Post by anarchy45 »

When I first got this upper arch expander (below) in my mouth I could hardly talk! Talk about annoying! And it was so disgusting that food would seemingly glue itself to the roof of my mouth - especially while still eating. Anyway after 2 or 3 weeks I pretty much lost the lisp, and now 6 weeks later, I seem to be the only person who can notice the tiny 'hiss' I make when I say 'S'. 'Th' was also a problem at first, but isn't at all now. The braces themselves haven't caused me a single bit of trouble so far... tho I've still got a while before getting the lower set put on.

I do notice that my mouth gets dry more quickly when I am speaking, so every few minutes I have to pause to close my mouth and make sure that everything is moistened so that brackets don't stick to cheeks and gums :-*

My upper arch expander appliance
top_appliance_small.jpg
TransForce_Transverse.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

oldfart

#9 Post by oldfart »

That is a very unique applicance. Not sure I have seen that one before.
Braces on: 2/25/2013. Braces Off: 12/23/2015
Current Retainers: Hawley Top, Essix Bottom, and Permanent Lingual Bottom

Jannie

#10 Post by Jannie »

Oh yeth, I am lisping. I used to do forensic interviewing and when I'd review the videos, I couldn't believe how pronounced it was. Hopefully, it's improving...

isthistaken

#11 Post by isthistaken »

hilariouth!!!

Chicken

#12 Post by Chicken »

I had trouble with F Words for about two weeks. It will be interesting to see how I sound after I get the bottom brace on next month.

Paige

#13 Post by Paige »

I totally hope I can talk clearly if I get braces, as I already can't say my "Rs" properly!! They come out a little bit like "W's". I was shy about that when I was a kid. I can't say "Carrot" but I'm used to it!

DisneyNerd

#14 Post by DisneyNerd »

I've always had a bit of a lisp anyway, but this morning I did notice that my speech has been affected. My cat was begging for food, and it wasn't long after breakfast, so I was basically scolding him for it. At one point I said, "Shut up, Charlie!" It sounded so weird to me.

isthistaken

#15 Post by isthistaken »

DisneyNerd wrote:I've always had a bit of a lisp anyway, but this morning I did notice that my speech has been affected. My cat was begging for food, and it wasn't long after breakfast, so I was basically scolding him for it. At one point I said, "Shut up, Charlie!" It sounded so weird to me.
I love your stories! I can just see and hear that. :wink: