Just swallowed bracket with my chicken dinner

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

TMJJill

Just swallowed bracket with my chicken dinner

#1 Post by TMJJill »

:o I just realized that I was minus a bracket and have my wire flapping free after I finished my dinner of chicken breast and green beans. It was a pretty soft meal and I cut things in small pieces so it shouldn't have been a problem. I'm not sure what happened, but I know that is one very expensive swallow.

This is the second time during my treatment that I've totally lost a bracket and not felt it. Same tooth both times. It is on a molar with a crown and I know they can be tough to adhere to sometimes. My orthodontist isn't open on Fridays and I have literal back to back meetings the entire day tomorrow. It is a 45 minute drive each way from work to the orthodontist too so I can't just "pop in" to get it fixed. Sometimes these braces can be VERY inconvenient. Why couldn't this have happened next week when I have my scheduled appointment?

I'll call tomorrow morning to figure out something, in the meantime, I'll just have my wire flapping free. At least I'm still in my "starter" round wire so it isn't as stiff and uncomfortable. Now I just have to keep my tongue from constantly finding its way to that spot. :roll:

Braces as Phase II treatment for TMJD.
Lower mandibular repositioning splint 26 months.
Lower braces on 10.75 months into Phase II treatment.
Duration in braces: 2 years, 2 weeks, 5 days
Removal of Braces: September 18, 2013

TMJD treatment now complete!

Ciara

Re: Just swallowed bracket with my chicken dinner

#2 Post by Ciara »

I did that twice when I had braces as a teenager. I had a palate expander as a child and swallowed the key for that a couple of times too. Hope your ortho can get the bracket to bond better this time.

OldBikerBag

#3 Post by OldBikerBag »

You should be alright. I lost one when I was eating some chicken wings. Spit it out with some bone, thinking it was another bit of bone. It was a Thursday. I couldn't get back in until the following Tuesday.

If you wait a day or two, you could find it and glue it back on with some superglue? :BigGrin:
385 Days in Damon Braces

Corrinne

#4 Post by Corrinne »

OldBikerBag wrote: If you wait a day or two, you could find it and glue it back on with some superglue? :BigGrin:
Lol! He he he. Make sure you buy a new kitchen sieve afterwards.
Four wisdom extracted 03/2011, Braces & quadhelix 09/2011, bimax & genio summer 2013
Blog: http://jawsurgery-journey.blogspot.co.uk
Vlog: https://www.youtube.com/user/doublejawsurgery/videos

belistic10

#5 Post by belistic10 »

oh yuck :lol: i am always paranoid about swallowing my elastics :roll: managed to not yet but have paniced a couple of times. Hope its all fixed soon!

TMJJill

#6 Post by TMJJill »

:D Thanks for your responses. Some things I may think, buy wouldn't have the guts to actually type. I do like a good chuckle though.

My ortho was in surgery the entire day today and the techs can only put brackets on natural teeth so they couldn't fix it. I told her it wasn't worth coming in it the only option was cutting the wire. We agreed I'd take care of it myself. My facilities person gave me a pair of wire clippers. I scrubbed them then just snipped away myself. :roll: I feel a bit "lopsided" but will be good until my regular ortho appointment next thursday.

I've swallowed wax, broken elastics overnight and 2 brackets. For some reason the brackets freak me out most.

Braces as Phase II treatment for TMJD.
Lower mandibular repositioning splint 26 months.
Lower braces on 10.75 months into Phase II treatment.
Duration in braces: 2 years, 2 weeks, 5 days
Removal of Braces: September 18, 2013

TMJD treatment now complete!

Corrinne

#7 Post by Corrinne »

Well done for sorting it out yourself :)
Four wisdom extracted 03/2011, Braces & quadhelix 09/2011, bimax & genio summer 2013
Blog: http://jawsurgery-journey.blogspot.co.uk
Vlog: https://www.youtube.com/user/doublejawsurgery/videos