Proud and beaming :)

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Corrinne

Proud and beaming :)

#1 Post by Corrinne »

Ok... This is going to sound crazy....

but I have come to like my braces; since I had them fitted (and for the first time in my life) I smile proudly for a camera.
I wear my braces like a badge and love it when people do a double take to look at my mouthful of metal! (Thinking, isn't she too old for braces?!)
Yes, I had wonky teeth; but I'm brave enough to have them fixed!

Spread the word! Braces for everyone in need :) they don't know what they are missing!

(Queue the men in white coats...) :crazy:
Four wisdom extracted 03/2011, Braces & quadhelix 09/2011, bimax & genio summer 2013
Blog: http://jawsurgery-journey.blogspot.co.uk
Vlog: https://www.youtube.com/user/doublejawsurgery/videos

Tobilei

Re: Proud and beaming :)

#2 Post by Tobilei »

Yay for you :mrgreen: That's awesome! I have clears and thought I'd never want anyone to notice I had them. But now they've been there for a couple of months I'm getting a bit used to it and I don't mind if people see them. I was looking at ligature colours with my daughter who also has braces yesterday and started thinking I might just like some dark pink ligs or powerchain at some point in time...........but I'm not quite there yet.

GillyWeed

#3 Post by GillyWeed »

Ditto!
-Gabrielle

Click here to see my story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=41964

dobiegil

#4 Post by dobiegil »

Awesome!!!! I too am proud and beaming with my braces. Don't mind people double taking when they see me. My daughter and I are both in braces, and we are enjoying taking care of our teeth together. She has stepped up the care since seeing me take care of my teeth.

Ciara

#5 Post by Ciara »

dobiegil wrote:Awesome!!!! I too am proud and beaming with my braces. Don't mind people double taking when they see me. My daughter and I are both in braces, and we are enjoying taking care of our teeth together. She has stepped up the care since seeing me take care of my teeth.
That's wonderful that you have had such a positive impact on your daughter. Congratulations to you both.

Ciara

#6 Post by Ciara »

Corrinne wrote:Ok... This is going to sound crazy....

but I have come to like my braces; since I had them fitted (and for the first time in my life) I smile proudly for a camera.
I wear my braces like a badge and love it when people do a double take to look at my mouthful of metal! (Thinking, isn't she too old for braces?!)
Yes, I had wonky teeth; but I'm brave enough to have them fixed!

Spread the word! Braces for everyone in need :) they don't know what they are missing!

(Queue the men in white coats...) :crazy:

Good for you! Apart from a friend, I've only seen 3 other adults with braces: an older man (I'd guess in his 60s), a woman in her mid-fifties and colleague's girlfriend who is in her early 30s. I have been stopped by people and asked about them. Many people don't know that adults can bet braces and think you still have to be growing to have them.

Angel269

#7 Post by Angel269 »

I'm not that brave and I'm nearly done. I dont do a big smile yet but I will try when these babies come off, it's just not something I am comfortable as an adult doing even though they are nearly done.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

My braces story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42457

Impressions-08/06/12
Big Day-22/06/12
Started using Bite Plate-14/07/12
Estimated treatment-8 months (upper ceramics)
Debond date-04/03/13

belistic10

#8 Post by belistic10 »

:jump: welldone!! I am also as a adult quite happy now to smile for photos I have already noticed I have to stop myself trying to hide my smile, besides the metal showing i really have no need to anymore :) cant wait to get them off and smile even more! :)

peppy

#9 Post by peppy »

Yay! I do know where you're coming from. The last couple of days I've actually been less self-concious laughing and smiling aroung people. I do also think it's because the braces show that you're doing something about improving yourself.

I've had a couple of people say that they admire me for doing something like this for myself. I think it's a great way of promoting our own self-esteem and letting people know "I care about improving myself". It's a great thing!
Debraced on Friday 20th September 2013!

Loving my new smile :-D

ChrissyElizabeth

#10 Post by ChrissyElizabeth »

Woo! I love my braces too. They can be a pain though. I just got a reverse curve wire put in my bottom row of teeth. ouch.

denSMSgt

#11 Post by denSMSgt »

I'm glad I'm not alone as the weird one that likes their braces! Even if I was, oh well! I find myself smiling more than before and I don't have any issues with folks looking at the guy in his 40s with all metal braces with blue or red powerchains negatively. Like a fellow poster put on their list of things recently, perception is only a problem if you let it be!

Have fun and smile BIG y'all! :tingrin:

ps. fixed bonded retainers still suck! stay away! :gavel:

oldfart

#12 Post by oldfart »

That is my goal this time around. Smile more. I tend to be self conscious too much. I think if you hide a smile, and avoid letting people see your teeth it makes time in the braces seem a lot more miserable than it should.

(having flashbacks now that a date is set.)

I am probably a bit of a sexist. I remember smiling more around women to show them off, but hiding them when talking to other guys.

It will be quite interesting with myself and both boys in braces at the same time. We could have had my daughter in headgear also for some pereliminary work, but figured that was too early for her. Although maybe my wife should get a consult......

of
Braces on: 2/25/2013. Braces Off: 12/23/2015
Current Retainers: Hawley Top, Essix Bottom, and Permanent Lingual Bottom

2XRound

#13 Post by 2XRound »

We women can identify better with vanity than most men, so we appreciate why a guy cares about his looks.
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;29;124/st/20130308/e/Full+Braces+were+applied/k/91e6/event.png[/img]

[color=#0080FF]
[size=150]Alexandra (Alex)[/size][/color]

zdenka

#14 Post by zdenka »

I am not that brave but I am happy for you :)
Total sentence 567 days. :)
Debond day: Dec 10, 2013