Anyone NOT regret their extractions?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Undecided

Anyone NOT regret their extractions?

#1 Post by Undecided »

So, I'm mulling over the prospect of having two upper bicuspids removed to correct an overjet. Presently I'm 30 years old and have all 32 teeth in place. 3 fillings, but otherwise all perfectly healthy. Hate the thought of pulling healthy teeth. I've also done the Internet rounds and have come across several anti-extraction viewpoints (not least Tooth975 on Yahoo Answers) who put forward pretty convincing arguments as to why extractions are bad!

So, please tell me if you have had extractions (or performed extractions on patients) and been happy with the result. Please tell me if you felt that your profile has improved, that your teeth look better, that you haven't experienced TMJ etc. I know that people who have had negative experiences will respond, so I would really like to hear from people with positive experiences too.

Please also let me know if you did regret the experience too, particularly if you've only had 2 upper bicuspids removed. Where did it all go wrong? Or was it okay at first but found that problems occurred later in life?

Mylovedtheeth

Re: Anyone NOT regret their extractions?

#2 Post by Mylovedtheeth »

I've got the same fears, but already after lower extraction so I have to perform uppers. I've done some researches and e. g. Kate Middleton have her 4 premolar extraction and Kristen Stewart at least 2 uppers maby 4, they look perfectly fine and are pretty. :D
I'm debraced after 2 rears and 1 weak of treatment.

kennyandrew85

#3 Post by kennyandrew85 »

I don't regret having extractions at all.

My teeth are looking great at the moment with a few months to go.

If your arch is too small for lots of teeth (or just big teeth) then they will push out even with braces.
Any orthodontist who tells you he can avoid extractions I would be asking exactly how.

Imagine this is your arch

And you need to fit this many teeth in..

------------------

Your teeth will end up pushing each other out the way so you end up with:

-\--//\/\\--\--

The only way they are going to fit is by overlapping each other, so you need either extractions or shaving down of teeth to make them smaller in less severe cases.
Brace Date: 14th April 2011
Estimated Debrace Date: 14th April 2013
Real Debrace Date 18th June 2013

4 extractions, upper ceramic brackets and lower metal to fix overjet and overcrowding.

kennyandrew85

#4 Post by kennyandrew85 »

I should also add...

The small minority with problems will be the most vocal on forums and the internet in general.

People who are happy with the results are not searching for forums to moan about it are they? they are just enjoying their new smiles.
Brace Date: 14th April 2011
Estimated Debrace Date: 14th April 2013
Real Debrace Date 18th June 2013

4 extractions, upper ceramic brackets and lower metal to fix overjet and overcrowding.

Undecided

#5 Post by Undecided »

[quote="kennyandrew85"]I should also add...

The small minority with problems will be the most vocal on forums and the internet in general.

People who are happy with the results are not searching for forums to moan about it are they? they are just enjoying their new smiles.[/quote]

Very true - I am trying to bear this in mind as well.

JumpTheDitch

#6 Post by JumpTheDitch »

I'm not quite sure why you'd specifically ask people for their experiences but then discount them before hearing them? Seems odd but good luck.

JillD

#7 Post by JillD »

I don't regret. My profile looks a lot better. I consulted with three orthodontists before I took a plunge. Even though they said slightly different things, all of them recommended that I should have extractions to achieve the result I want. It was hard to imagine that all of them were wrong.

Bikerchick85

#8 Post by Bikerchick85 »

I had 4 premolars extracted in Nov. 2012. I've only had my upper braces for almost a couple of months. So far I don't regret the decision but I do struggle with it. I have bigger sized teeth stuffed into tiny arches that are overlapping each other. So I do believe I made the right decision. I guess I am just anxious for the end result. My ortho told me I would have complete control of the amount of retraction and when I was satisfied with my profile change she would start moving my molars forward. You can follow my story. I'll keep it updated! :) We haven't started the retraction phase yet. I get my lowers installed on Monday. Good luck in making your decision! I know it's a hard one to make!

MY STORY.. http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=43860

*4 Premolar Extractions-Nov. 29th, 2012*
*Upper Ceramic Braces-Dec. 11, 2012*
*Lower Metal Braces-Feb. 11th, 2013*
*Est. Sentence-24 months*

Mylovedtheeth

#9 Post by Mylovedtheeth »

Here are very nice treatment result , 4 extractions

I'm debraced after 2 rears and 1 weak of treatment.

sweetcynic

#10 Post by sweetcynic »

I don't regret my 2 upper premolar extractions. I'm already glad I have to strain my lip less to keep them closed and look forward to the day I don't have to strain at all to keep my lips closed.

Bikerchick85

#11 Post by Bikerchick85 »

Mylovedtheeth wrote:Here are very nice treatment result , 4 extractions
That is a great result! It's really hard to find alot of before and afters with extractions especially of adults. She looks like a teenager to me lol or at least really young! :) I wish there was a website or a link on this forum to A LOT of before and after pics of adults with extractions! It would make the decison-making a heck of a lot easier! :P

MY STORY.. http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=43860

*4 Premolar Extractions-Nov. 29th, 2012*
*Upper Ceramic Braces-Dec. 11, 2012*
*Lower Metal Braces-Feb. 11th, 2013*
*Est. Sentence-24 months*

plugnickel69

#12 Post by plugnickel69 »

I've seen quite a few pictures of some who didn't go the extraction root and look like they're in need of braces. If one is happy with a significant overjet that's fine. If there is not enough room in your arch for your teeth, they're just not going to fit. And since we're dealing here with adults, some of us have some bone loss, sometimes significant. It's not very smart to expand the teeth beyond the arch unless you want to lose them.

You have get multiple consults and then go with the ortho who has the proper credentials, who you can trust, and who will listen to your concerns and work with you.

JumpTheDitch

#13 Post by JumpTheDitch »

2 upper bicuspids. Very much regret.

TMJJill

#14 Post by TMJJill »

I was able to get enough arch development with my self-ligating braces that I didn't need extractions. (According to orthodontist, I've gone from a twin size arch to king size.)

In many cases, extractions may be necessary. It might be worth getting another opinion before going that way if you are unsure. Are you seeing a Functional Orthodontist? If not, I'd highly recommend seeing one. They have extra training in analyzing and treating the bite and the teeth in relationship with the bite. It might help prevent future issues. It might be worth doing a bit of internet research on functional orthodontists to help you understand more.

Good luck with your decision.

Braces as Phase II treatment for TMJD.
Lower mandibular repositioning splint 26 months.
Lower braces on 10.75 months into Phase II treatment.
Duration in braces: 2 years, 2 weeks, 5 days
Removal of Braces: September 18, 2013

TMJD treatment now complete!

gappedmouth

#15 Post by gappedmouth »

Well I didn't get extractions related to braces, just bad teeth. I regret them all.