*GULP*

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

beckyboo0205

*GULP*

#1 Post by beckyboo0205 »

Hey folks, new here. Just made the decision today to get braces and not gonna lie... a little freaked out! I mean, obviously it's my decision but that doesn't mean it's not a scary one. I'm 29... newly married (I hope my husband won't hate me for this! HA jk) YIKES!

I originally went into my consultation for Invisalign, and within the first 2 seconds, the doctor told me it wouldn't work. I was shocked! I had no idea! ha I mean, I should have prepared myself for that. Then he started talking about braces and I almost didn't pay attention. I didn't want braces... Invisilign seemed so much less scary. I did so much research on it and I had no idea it didn't work for most people, according to my ortho. Anyhow, I got over my shock and started doing some research and now here I am, sorta prepared... and I'm getting braces. *GULP*

Tobilei

Re: *GULP*

#2 Post by Tobilei »

I think invisalign can work for some people. I opted not to go invisalign even though I was like you and had planned for them. My ortho told me that while invisalign work, braces tend to have better end results and there's no risk of having to pay more in the middle if things aren't going to plan.

There's plenty of us over 29 on here who have braces :) I'm 34 and have them at the same time as my 13 year old.

In the long run a couple of years of our life is really a short time for lots of happy afterwards :) I think you're doing the right thing. It IS scary though! You'll be fine!

kennyandrew85

#3 Post by kennyandrew85 »

Exactly what happened to me :-)

I went in for a free consultation for invisalign, they looked at my teeth and instantly said it wouldn't work for me.
Don't regret having braces one bit, i have a few more months to go and my teeth have drastically improved.
Brace Date: 14th April 2011
Estimated Debrace Date: 14th April 2013
Real Debrace Date 18th June 2013

4 extractions, upper ceramic brackets and lower metal to fix overjet and overcrowding.

Ciara

#4 Post by Ciara »

Good luck! Braces really aren't that bad. I have ceramic and they are not that obvious at all.

MrsCharisma

#5 Post by MrsCharisma »

Do it! If you can afford to do it now, do it. I'm almost 34 in braces. Wishing I hadn't waited so long.

Good luck!

http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=45175

Female, 34
Braced: 1/24/13 (upper) and 5/3/13 (lower)
Sentence: 18-24 months
Ceramic uppers, metal lowers

[/url]

plugnickel69

#6 Post by plugnickel69 »

Becky: Congratulations. You've made it through the toughest part--making the decision. The rest is will be a breeze in comparison. I'm sure your husband will be very supportive. Don't sweat the Invisalign. It't not for everyone. Two orthodox told me no way. A third said no problem, then I realized he was planning on doing a half-assed job. Good luck to you!

missblu3

#7 Post by missblu3 »

Don't be scared! It will be okay! I just keep thinking of how great the end result will be. If you're going to do it, you might as well get the best results possible. :)

In-Ovation C Upper Arch, In-Ovation R Lower Arch

beckyboo0205

#8 Post by beckyboo0205 »

Thanks guys! It was pretty hard to make the decision. I am the most indecisive person in the whole world! It took me months to try to figure out which vaccum to buy! I do think this forum helped me alot! I spent alot of time on here (stalking... shhh!) and it showed me that alot of other people do it too... and they aren't all 13!

Angel269

#9 Post by Angel269 »

Hi.

Great that you are taking the initial steps.

I went for Clearstep (UK Invisalign) and was told 16 months and dearer than I was originally quoted, so I didn't go for it. I then decided to go for ceramic fixed, which was told would take half the time and give a more refined result.

I was adamant at first about a clear aligner, as the thought of metal braces triggered a dental phobia as a teen. I saw the ceramics and figured I could handle it and the rest is history!

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

My braces story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42457

Impressions-08/06/12
Big Day-22/06/12
Started using Bite Plate-14/07/12
Estimated treatment-8 months (upper ceramics)
Debond date-04/03/13

OldBikerBag

#10 Post by OldBikerBag »

I was offered Invisalign. I chose not to use them because the price was double and it would have taken twice as long.

And I barely slept the night before I got railroaded.
385 Days in Damon Braces

Tobilei

#11 Post by Tobilei »

beckyboo0205 wrote:Thanks guys! It was pretty hard to make the decision. I am the most indecisive person in the whole world! It took me months to try to figure out which vaccum to buy! I do think this forum helped me alot! I spent alot of time on here (stalking... shhh!) and it showed me that alot of other people do it too... and they aren't all 13!

I think I could give you a run for your money on that title :lol: I often joke that my motto in life is "I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure" :P . I drive my husband nuts with my inability to make a decision about anything so something as big as braces took me forever (first I had to decide invisalign or braces, then metal or clear, back and forth, back and forth, I nearly drove myself insane-errm or maybe I did!). Took me about 2 months all up to figure out what I wanted!

beckyboo0205

#12 Post by beckyboo0205 »

[quote="Tobilei"][quote="beckyboo0205"]Thanks guys! It was pretty hard to make the decision. I am the most indecisive person in the whole world! It took me months to try to figure out which vaccum to buy! I do think this forum helped me alot! I spent alot of time on here (stalking... shhh!) and it showed me that alot of other people do it too... and they aren't all 13![/quote]

I think I could give you a run for your money on that title :lol: I often joke that my motto in life is "I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure" :P . I drive my husband nuts with my inability to make a decision about anything so something as big as braces took me forever (first I had to decide invisalign or braces, then metal or clear, back and forth, back and forth, I nearly drove myself insane-errm or maybe I did!). Took me about 2 months all up to figure out what I wanted![/quote]

HA Isn't it rediculous!? Why is it so hard to make a decision sometimes?? I just got done planning a wedding and I don't know how I survived it... too many decisions. I also drive my husband nuts with the non-decision thing too! I can't even decide what to eat for a meal... It took me a while to finally decide... "Ok yes I will get the Invisalign, assuming everything goes right with the consultation." Then the ortho got me with that shocker! So then I was back to square one.

Tobilei

#13 Post by Tobilei »

[quote=beckyboo0205] HA Isn't it rediculous!? Why is it so hard to make a decision sometimes?? I just got done planning a wedding and I don't know how I survived it... too many decisions. I also drive my husband nuts with the non-decision thing too! I can't even decide what to eat for a meal... It took me a while to finally decide... "Ok yes I will get the Invisalign, assuming everything goes right with the consultation." Then the ortho got me with that shocker! So then I was back to square one.quo[/quote]

It is! And I have no idea why! Most people don't seem to have as much trouble as I do! And yep, I can't decide over simple things either, let alone hard decisions! I didn't survive my wedding. We packed up 1/4 of the way through and went away, just the 2 of us to an island :P.

Dee17

#14 Post by Dee17 »

Hi beckyboo0205,
I also originally wanted invisalign. Imagine my heartbreak when both orthodontists I went to for initial consultations told me I was not a candidate for them! In the end I opted for full metal, top and bottom. I had a tremendous amount of anxiety during the waiting process and almost made myself crazy. I mean, I was having panic attacks that were waking me up at night 2 and 3 times! But, in the end I survived it. It's now been almost 4 months and aside from being a bit discouraged because I haven't seen much movement yet, I am happy with my decision. Good luck. Stay in touch with us on this board. This is a remarkably supportive and helpful community. We'll all listen to you rant and complain and give you as much TLC as you need to get through whatever it is that's bothering you!
Dee
Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take,
but by the moments that take your breath away.
-- Maya Angelou

[
My story here: [url]http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=42752

and here:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42976

My blog: http://dvorahstraintracksadventure.blogspot.ca/

katsface

#15 Post by katsface »

Good for you!

When I was originally told invisalign wouldn't work for me (3 years ago!), the orthodontist also proceeded to insult my smile and profile in every way possible. I had just gotten married to a very handsome man, and this ortho told me to go look at my wedding pictures to see how bad my smile looks! Thanks for ruining my wedding pictures for me, dude! He told me a full set of metal braces would be needed for three or more years. So I went home, had a little cry, and decided to do nothing.

Two years later, went to another ortho. This one told me I had no 'skeletal' problems, but I would need extractions of healthy teeth. (Honestly I don't understand that diagnosis, but I digress.) She told me again that I was not a candidate for invisalign, and that it would take 3 years of treatment. Although this ortho was very nice, I just couldn't agree with the treatment plan.

After mulling it over for 6 more months, I found two potential orthodontists to consider. The first was very thorough, did a 3D iCAT scan, examined me from all angles, took pictures, etc. and told me I needed two surgeries! At first I was floored. I was prepared to hear 'no invisalign' at this point, but I had no idea my situation was so complex that I needed surgery! But after he explained why my jaw shifts from side to side, why my teeth and tongue don't fit well in my mouth, and showed me how my jaw joints are wearing down from bad alignment, I knew he was correct. He also told me that I would only need to be in braces for 18-22 months instead of 3+ years.

I didn't even go to the last orthodontist, who is an expert in invisalign. At that point I decided if I need to go through all of this to correct the problems, I'll just do it all the way! So I have metal braces on the bottom, a palatal expander that's driving me nuts, and In-Ovation L brackets on top (no archwire on top until after my first surgery). In-Ovation L are a self ligating lingual bracket system, the brackets on my top teeth are actually behind my teeth, not in front. They're even more invisible than invisalign, because there are absolutely no visible components at this point (that will change when I get rubber bands but whatever). I have a little lisp from the brackets, but I'm sure it will get better once this expander is out.

Anyway, long story short, I'm finally getting treatment after 3 years of being afraid. I'm glad I waited, and didn't get a camouflage treatment. I'm glad I'm getting this fixed the 'right' way. So again, congratulations on taking the plunge! I know how scary it is, and I know how heartbreaking it can be to hear that you can't be fixed with invisalign. I'm soo soo happy for you! I actually think braces are cute, and I almost wish I had gone for regular braces on top, b/c I love it when I catch a flash of my lower braces. I think it makes me look younger too :)
Treatment-
  • Braces: In-Ovation L (lingual) on top, and In-Ovation R (metal) on bottom
  • SARPE
  • BSSO advancement
  • estimated 18-22 months
SARPE
  • Expander installed Jan 14th 2013
  • Surgery Feb 18th 2013
  • Turn 26 days to 13mm. Gap between teeth maxed out at 12-13mm.
  • Gap down to 7mm Apr 18
  • Gap Closed Aug 6
  • Expander out Sep 19
BSSO
  • Insurance approved, surgery scheduled for Dec 18!