What was your primary reason for orthodontic treatment?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

sweetcynic

What was your primary reason for orthodontic treatment?

#1 Post by sweetcynic »

Was it appearance, function, or both? For me, function was primary, appearance was nice but secondary.

anarchy45

Re: What was your primary reason for orthodontic treatment?

#2 Post by anarchy45 »

Functional only - totally don't care about appearance. Actually, for as screwed up as they are, they are very useful for biting and chomping on things =)

My parents couldn't/wouldn't afford it when I was a kid, and over the past 15 years my teeth have gotten progressively worse. I sometimes get big canker sores on my cheeks and lips, some teeth have started to grow out of my gumline, I've got several chipped and worn-down ones in the front, a lot of them are very pointy and sharp, and my bottom front teeth scrape the back of my top teeth and have cut the gums away from behind them. I figured it would cost $10,000 to get them fixed - hell, just pull em all and gimme dentures! At least you can take them out to clean em.

Seriously though, I've chosen a functional orthodontist because I refuse surgery or extractions; he said 15-18 months and $6500... not cheap, but not as expensive as I was expecting. However I do think that it is a rather short estimate of time. With starting a new job in the next month or two, beginning treatment now will save me about $2000 via my health flex spending account.

mollyluise

#3 Post by mollyluise »

Both, but I have to say appearance. I have a bad gap on the right side from a missing tooth, and that closing that gap is what sealed the deal!

Really though- that tooth was broken because my bite was misaligned! LOL!

I'm mostly looking forward to a perfect smile :mrgreen:

30 years old, In-Ovation C, estimated 16-18 months :)

Ciara

#4 Post by Ciara »

Functional - TMJ issues mainly but also I had a premolar pulled in spring (vertical crack to the root) and it had been acting as an "anchor" for all the teeth on that side of my jaw. They started moving once it was removed and are tipping inwards. The only way to correct this was to get braces to moved them back into their correct position. I have a deep bite which has been getting progressively worse and my bottom teeth are starting to irritate the gums behind my top teeth.

If I end up with straighter and nicer teeth and smile, it would be a nice bonus but that is not so important to me. What kind of braces was also not important to me - I have ceramic uppers and will be getting ceramic lowers next month along with a bite plate.

MrsCharisma

#5 Post by MrsCharisma »

To close my diastema. And for a perfect smile.

http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=45175

Female, 34
Braced: 1/24/13 (upper) and 5/3/13 (lower)
Sentence: 18-24 months
Ceramic uppers, metal lowers

[/url]

Saturius

#6 Post by Saturius »

Function. I had an impacted canine. That's all i wanted fixed. I didn't really think I had any other problems with my teeth, but the orthos of course found things that needed fixing lol.

junglejulie

#7 Post by junglejulie »

MrsCharisma wrote:To close my diastema. And for a perfect smile.

+1

Getting rid of my diastema, finally

helricha

#8 Post by helricha »

Both reasons, I'd say. I was having constant headaches from TMJ and I didn't like to smile in pictures. I usually had to take so many to get the ones that I thought looked ok. Absolutely ridiculous! But my headaches and pictures will be all good once this is over. :)

November 15, 2012: 4 extractions and brackets placed
November 29, 2012: wire placed
Sentence: 36 months

SmileLikeUMeanIt

#9 Post by SmileLikeUMeanIt »

Appearance and function. I had overcrowding on the top and my back molars needed to be pushed upright. They shifted sideways after having two lower molar removed.

deessepeaubrune

#10 Post by deessepeaubrune »

Appearance mostly but function was close behind.

I've been ashamed of my teeth for a long time.

TMJJill

#11 Post by TMJJill »

Function for me. I developed TMJ issues and this is phase II of my treatment. I'm trying to re-establish a proper bite.

It is also a health issue for me. I had some major ear problems from my lower jaw pressing back towards my ear. I had stuffiness, ear pain and had lost a lot of hearing. I want to do anything possible to preserve the hearing I have left.

Braces as Phase II treatment for TMJD.
Lower mandibular repositioning splint 26 months.
Lower braces on 10.75 months into Phase II treatment.
Duration in braces: 2 years, 2 weeks, 5 days
Removal of Braces: September 18, 2013

TMJD treatment now complete!

midnight

#12 Post by midnight »

I think my reasons have changed over time. When I was first given the option of braces/surgery the primary reasons was appearance. I'd be made fun of so many times for my teeth I just wanted them to be 'normal'! However by the time the treatment started 6/7 years after I'd grown up a bit more and had finally accepted the way I look but had got annoyed with my bite, wearing down teeth, chipping teeth and constantly biting my lip so the reason I actually went ahead with the treatment was functional. I guess appearance still played a part but it wasn't my reason for signing the treatment form.

Angel269

#13 Post by Angel269 »

To close my diastema.

I just needed to do something as I was too embarrassed to talk to anybody because of my teeth. I had a major dental phobia which was sparked by the thought of ortho treatment as a pre teen. Addressed my general dental phobia and now I am nearly done :-)

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

My braces story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42457

Impressions-08/06/12
Big Day-22/06/12
Started using Bite Plate-14/07/12
Estimated treatment-8 months (upper ceramics)
Debond date-04/03/13

AM21

#14 Post by AM21 »

I would say appearance mainly. I had low self esteem and wouldn't smile in pictures.
I also was picked on quite a bit because of my teeth, I just have always hated them.
My self esteem has sky rocketed and I smile like crazy now. :)
Braced: August 1, 2011
Sentence: 30 Months
My Braces Blog: http://www.metalmouthtales.blogspot.com

OldBikerBag

#15 Post by OldBikerBag »

Function. My lower teeth were beginning to brush the roof of my mouth behind my uppers. They had shifted into a fairly severe upward arc.

When I discussed this with my ortho, he stopped me mid-sentence and made note of my downward-turning smile. He said that would be corrected, too. I hadn't really noticed, except that I always looked like I'd just bitten a pickle in most of my photos....so I simply avoided cameras.

I started observing other people with overjets similar to mine and realized the teeth were the problem. And so I came around to being excited about my new appearance as well.
385 Days in Damon Braces