Day 3 with braces, Omg

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Mark1988

Day 3 with braces, Omg

#1 Post by Mark1988 »

Hi this is my 3rd day now metal braces top and bottom, Im 22 and wondering if I have done the right thing, my mouth just aches, I have only had soup, I am so scared I break a wire or something while trying to eat, how easy is this to do?. is it possible to over tighten my braces? there just feels so much pressure in my mouth, and I can't close it either, which dosent help, I just hate these things right now.

Kipepeo

Re: Day 3 with braces, Omg

#2 Post by Kipepeo »

It does get better in a few days. Cliche I know, but true.

Remember that list of no-no foods your ortho gave you? Become familiar with it. There's a reason certain foods are on everyone's list. And you'll be surprised to learn how little chewing you actually have to do to food to eat it!!

Duncan5

#3 Post by Duncan5 »

Hi Mark,

Hang in there. I was on soup (with a teaspoon!) and porridge for nearly a week while getting used to the brackets - they just felt so big and awkward, especially for the first day or two. Soaking bread in the soup works well, I still cut off the crusts as I can't chew due to turbos so just suck everything to death.

Can't say much about the pain - it's not been too bad for me, more a constant sensation of heaviness with the odd random 'hypersensitive to pressure' day when the toothbrush feels like a pneumatic drill. There's been no correlation to movement or adjustment to the latter; a tooth will suddenly decide to make its presence felt.

The wire will take some abuse, only time I've bent it was on a Mini Cheddar (a 1" savoury biscuit) that I hadn't sucked for long enough and caught it sideways on the long gap between molars. The .013 wire, which is the thinnest, bent down to the gum line but I used a paper-clip to nudge it until it sprang back into position; no damage done. I'm up to 18 and 16 now and they're more resilient.

So long as you avoid really hard or sticky things you should be OK; my ortho has traffic light list with red including the usual suspects like toffees, chews, popcorn, corn-on-the-cob, nuts, pizza crusts, baguettes, raw veg like carrots unless they're already diced small, pens and pencils and holding a toothbrush between your teeth while you reach for something else.

That said I've seen teenagers tucking into wraps, chewy sweets, sodas and everything that my ortho and, independently, hygienist have said to avoid with no apparent ill effect what-so-ever. But then they're not paying for their treatment!

Hope this helps, D.

Marigold

#4 Post by Marigold »

The pain will subside. Take aspirin, it helps. I hate to say it, but it won't end there. Next will come the wires poking into your cheeks as they tighten up. Eating is never easy. Braces aren't fun, but there are ways to manage. I'm going on 2 years with probably another 1/2 year to go. You just have to roll with it. :)
Class II moderately deep overbite, mild crowding.
Braced on January 19, 2011. Debraced on December 16, 2013.
2 years, 11 months in braces.

Mark1988

#5 Post by Mark1988 »

Thanks for the advise guys, this forum really is a help, my mouth right now, Just feels like it dosent belong to me anymore, but I am going to stick this out, I just thought maybe my Ortho, had overtightened or something.How long till you were able to speak okay, I sounds to me really strange when I try speaking, my mum says its okay, but I think she's just saying that.thanks for the replays,, its helps a lot.

Marigold

#6 Post by Marigold »

I didn't experience much pain when I first had mine put on. They used what they called "training wheels" wires at that appointment. I only had a slight headache and some pressure for a few days. The adjustment after that was when I first felt pain. It's never been as bad as what you're describing though. Maybe you should call your ortho office and talk to them?
Class II moderately deep overbite, mild crowding.
Braced on January 19, 2011. Debraced on December 16, 2013.
2 years, 11 months in braces.

dojo

#7 Post by dojo »

My first week was pretty nasty, but I was OK afterward. You will get better, hang in there ;)
Orthodontics patient from 2007 to 2010.
Orthodontic Braces

Random

#8 Post by Random »

Hang in there :P First week is the hardest, but everything you do after will be almost nothing compared to what you're feeling now.

yeahtam

#9 Post by yeahtam »

[quote="Kipepeo"]It does get better in a few days. Cliche I know, but true.[/quote]

It really does get better. I am three weeks into my 18 month treatment. The first couple of days were painful. Not be able to eat anything besides soup was hard but three weeks later I am used to having them. I eat what I want now. If I do have something like a steak & cheese sub, I cut it up with a knife and fork. Trust me, it will get better. Cleaning your teeth after eating is so important lol!

oimysizex

#10 Post by oimysizex »

Yes, the first couple of days are the worst but after a few weeks you get used to them and can practically eat like normal again, well with a few exceptions

Been in braces foreverrrrrrrrrrrrr!!

xanidu2012

#11 Post by xanidu2012 »

I've been braced for 5 months. Metal upper/lower. I feel you. Those first couple of days I was like "what have I done" and 5 months in after an adjustment my mouth still feels like its not mine. Also after the first couple of weeks I lost weight like crazy.
But like everyone says it does get better. Be stocked up on wax, and aspirin. Most of all hang in there because the end result will be worth the wait :lol:

kennyandrew85

#12 Post by kennyandrew85 »

You won't break a wire, they are solid, you'd be very unlucky to pull a bracket off as they are very well glued to your teeth unless you regularly eat ice cubes or very hard sweets you'll be fine.

The pain will go away, the first few days are the hardest, the rest is a breeze.
Brace Date: 14th April 2011
Estimated Debrace Date: 14th April 2013
Real Debrace Date 18th June 2013

4 extractions, upper ceramic brackets and lower metal to fix overjet and overcrowding.

Mark1988

#13 Post by Mark1988 »

Thank everyone, for the replies, well today feeling much better, I am gaining more confidence in what I can do, and can't.Have been using plenty of wax, and relise now there not as delicate as I feared, I felt nervous about breaking something while trying to eat, that has passed a little now,
My mouth still hurts a little, but I feel now I am making progress, and feel I can accept my braces, last week all I could think about was how can I wear these things,I am not looking forward to my first tightening, will it be very painful? I feel the worst is over, thank you everyone who replied
Mark.

Plumcore

#14 Post by Plumcore »

The first adjustment will be..ok-ish. You may feel some pressure pain as she tightens the wires, and you will be sore for a few days after. Gradually you will see that once the teeth loosen up over the months, you will only feel that sort of tightness for only 2-3 days tops after adjustment, or if you get the dreaded elastics that reach across teeth. :)

Xenbuf

#15 Post by Xenbuf »

I was totally there. I hated the braces and wanted them off. It has now been 18 days and life is improving. I can eat more...I did eat soup and cream of rice for a week. Things have been fine at work and my friends are supportive.

I found this site where everyone told me it would get better and they were right! So listen to all those nice people and soon, you will be helping some newly braced person yourself!

No day but today...