Just got my braces put in. I have some questions.

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

aran

Just got my braces put in. I have some questions.

#1 Post by aran »

So I only have the top row right now. I guess they want to wait a month or two before installing the bottom row.

-What are "Iowa spaces"? My ortho installed tiny metal springs between my lateral incisors and canines (top row only, remember I don't have bottom row yet) to create "Iowa spaces". He said it has something to do with the surgery I'll be having (Le Fort 1 maxillary impaction) but he was too busy to give me specific details.

-What in God's name are these spikey things on the inner-part of the metal bands?! I've had braces for less than 3 hours and my tongue already feels like it's been filleted like a fish.

-I have ceramic brackets on the front six teeth, but the archwire is metal-colored, and so are the metal ties. The ceramic brackets are obviously less noticeable than metal brackets, but I was hoping that everything up front would be white. Do white archwires even exist?

smilehope

Re: Just got my braces put in. I have some questions.

#2 Post by smilehope »

First of all, congratulations on getting your braces. You should find the board really supportive.

I don't know about different sorts of spaces - a gap is a gap in my book!

Spikes - are these hooks for future elastics? Shove some wax on them in any case, your tongue should get used to them.

You can get white arch wires, but not all sizes / shapes, quite a lot of pictures around here. I guess your ortho must have had a reason for using wires rather than clear ligatures at this stage.

Good luck with it all!
1st Feb 2012 - extraction both upper 2nd premolars
Braced 9th March 2012 - lower metal fixed and upper removable plate
5th September 2012 - bite plate gone, upper ceramic fixed fitted
Estimated treatment time 18-24 months

ca214

#3 Post by ca214 »

aran wrote:So I only have the top row right now. I guess they want to wait a month or two before installing the bottom row.

-What are "Iowa spaces"? My ortho installed tiny metal springs between my lateral incisors and canines (top row only, remember I don't have bottom row yet) to create "Iowa spaces". He said it has something to do with the surgery I'll be having (Le Fort 1 maxillary impaction) but he was too busy to give me specific details.

-What in God's name are these spikey things on the inner-part of the metal bands?! I've had braces for less than 3 hours and my tongue already feels like it's been filleted like a fish.

-I have ceramic brackets on the front six teeth, but the archwire is metal-colored, and so are the metal ties. The ceramic brackets are obviously less noticeable than metal brackets, but I was hoping that everything up front would be white. Do white archwires even exist?
re: the spikey things. some molar bands have cleats on them (for elastics or other attachments). i have these, and yes, they are annoying. my ortho bent them down as much as possible, which has helped, but they were certainly annoying the first few days of braces. you could certainly ask about that if they are that much of a hassle. i don't think my treatment plan calls for the use of these, but maybe they just leave them on in case?

C
32 yr old guy from Boston

Upper Ceramics on 6/19/12
Lower Ceramics on 3/25/13
Braces off on 9/23/14

Original estimate of 16 months treatment time - ended up at 27 months.

Story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42423

cavomington

#4 Post by cavomington »

I had a white wire for my first 3 months,which was great, then a thicker metallic wire replaced it sadly.

BetsyBug

#5 Post by BetsyBug »

Hi Aran!!! Welcome and congrats on getting braced.

I did a little research to see if I could figure out what an "iowa space" was. I also have wonderful coil springs between my upper lateral incisors and my canines to make a space. Mine isn't to prepare for surgery but I think they serve a similar purpose. All they are is spaces distal to the lateral incisor. (between the laterals and canines) The reason I have coil springs is because my uppers were meeting my lowers in traumatic occlusion (hitting each other edge on edge) and the ortho decided my upper incisors needed to come forward to fix that. Now I have a tiny overjet and my uppers aren't hitting anymore. I also have a lovely little gap. :) I'm not sure if they will advance them any further I guess I will see at my appointment on tuesday.

Hope that helps :)
Elizabeth
Getting top and bottom traditional metal braces and bite turbos
correcting crowding, overbite, and TMJ on 3/6/2012
Turbos Removed 8/14/2012

Click for my story