Teeth Shaving?!?!?!?!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

purpleandteal

Teeth Shaving?!?!?!?!

#1 Post by purpleandteal »

WHATTTTTTT??????
i had my second adjustment today, stronger wires, lower and upper, and small power chains on the sides of my uppers. oh nd pretty purple ligs on my lowers :0)
buuuuut my ortho told me they need to shave 2 of my teeth. WTH?!?! it will be done on my 4th adjustment. has anyone had this? what happens? does it hurt? arghhh scared!! i know my ortho will answer all this on my 3rd adjustment,but i wanted to ask you guys about it.
and also, he said i now have to have all my wisdom teeth out, and i might be able to wait till i have surgery and ge it all done together, but also i mght have to have my jaw wired shut for 4-6wks aftr surgery. feels like 1 step frward, 2 steps back.
but on the upside, plenty of positive movement and he said hes ALMOST sure i will have my coil out on my next adjustment woooooooooooo!!!!

Read all about the fun and games here!!

BellaBraces

Re: Teeth Shaving?!?!?!?!

#2 Post by BellaBraces »

I've had that at pretty much every visit. :shock:

Sometimes they use an attachment on the drill, sometimes they use a long strip of sandpaper like stuff and pull it between your teeth. The sandpaper strip is much, much more unpleasant than the drill attachment.

No, it does not hurt at all, so don't worry about that, but the noise and the grinding sensation of the sandpaper makes me shudder. Kind of like nails scraping down a blackboard.

bracefacexo

#3 Post by bracefacexo »

Hey All!

Yup, I had to have this done at my first visit as well. Basically it's called interproximal reduction. Google to find out the specifics. They use this method to create space without having to extract teeth!

Doesn't hurt at all - although it can be a bit uncomfortable as it feels like theyre filing down your teeth with a nail file!

purpleandteal

#4 Post by purpleandteal »

thanks for the relpies. i feel a lil better knowing they arent taking a razor to my teeth. its my lower number 2s (i think thats what they are. not the middle 2, the one either side of those) they fan out at the top and he said the only way to make my lowers sit straight is to shave the fanned part so they dont need to sit forward to line up. it will be happening in february, so i have a whle till the horrible grinding feeling!

Read all about the fun and games here!!