Waterpik

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Ashybear

Waterpik

#1 Post by Ashybear »

Hey guys.. just wondering if it is definitely 100% worth getting a Waterpik. I'm thinking of buying one but they're fairly expensive.. I've read about them, but I don't want to spend $160 on buying one if they're not completely beneficial :)

klobird

Re: Waterpik

#2 Post by klobird »

Well, in the U.S. the waterpik is much cheaper. I don't know if I would spend $160--I spent about $35--but I absolutely love my waterpik. I think it would be really difficult without one. My teeth feel so clean, and all of the junk gets washed out. At work, I just use a container filled with water and swish it to get the food out of my braces. That is no comparison to a waterpik. But I am one who can absolutely not stand feeling stuff in my braces and not being able to get it out.

My first waterpik lasted about a year, then I had to buy a new one. So, ya, I've spent about $70 on waterpiks. Can you order one online that is cheaper? I have the one that is rechargable, but I just fill up the inside of it--there is no reservoir of water. It works just fine.

cavomington

#3 Post by cavomington »

Probably my most useful tool. I feel incredibly clean afterward. Almost to the point where I think I don't have to brush and floss, though I always do of course. I spent 50$ on the Waterpik Ultra, which has a large tank and plugs into a socket.

purpleandteal

#4 Post by purpleandteal »

DEFINITELY WORTH IT!!!
Iv been braced now for almost 4 months, had heard about waterpiks prior to being braced and thought the same as you, i didnt want to waste my money if it wasnt gunna be worth it. but my teeth always felt gross, no matter how much i brushed, i could not floss normally at all and after a couple of months i decided sod it, im guna get one. it was the best £45 i spent on my teeth. they feel so clean!!! its kinda grim how much food ends up in the sink after use, but id rather it went down the drain and didnt stay stuck in my braces!
shop around, look online etc to get the best price, as they prices did seem to vary depending on where i looked.
just watch out if and when you do get one, the first few times i shot water up my nose, in my eyes, down my throat, all over the bathroom! took me a few goes to get the hang of it. and its also great if your teeth are too sensitive to brush thouraghly, which mine have been especially after an adjustment. i could just use the orthodontic head and give the sensitive areas a bit of a swish knwing that although they havent been cleaned properly, it was a much better alternative to not brushing at all.

Read all about the fun and games here!!

klobird

#5 Post by klobird »

Make sure you know where the off button is before you use the waterpik!! I couldn't find it the first time. The mirror got a real good washing!!

NICURN85

#6 Post by NICURN85 »

It was so WORTH getting the water pik. I have had my braces since July and the waterpik has really come in handy especially when you have rice or any food that wraps around your teeth. You turn the waterpik on and just blast away all the particles that are stuck. I sometimes wish I could take mine to work!! Your mouth feels all nice and clean once you have used it along with brushing and flossing!! I think it was money well spent when I purchased it! I am going on vacation next week for about 9 days and I am sad I can't take it with me because I always just take a carry on bag and I would not want them taking my waterpik at the airport. I will just avoid things like rice!!!! I really think you will love it if you decide to purchase it!
~KIMMIE

Click here to view my story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42578

alexander

#7 Post by alexander »

cavomington wrote: I spent 50$ on the Waterpik Ultra, which has a large tank and plugs into a socket.
Yes, I've got both the portable one and the Ultra and the Ultra is WAY more powerful.... if you don't need the portability I would definitely recommend the mains powered Ultra. It's also easier to use because the head/handle is on the end of a long tube and the main unit stays put, so you aren't manoeuvring the whole unit around.

Ashybear

#8 Post by Ashybear »

Thanks guys. My mouth almost never feels clean, so I'll definitely look into getting one, although the cheapest I've found is $145. Are there any Aussies out there who have bought one for less than that??

Why are they so expensive in Australia?? :(

Also I read you can get a tongue cleaner extension for it. Has anybody tried that??

starfish88

#9 Post by starfish88 »

I agree, they are so expensive in Australia, but everything is it seems! I ordered mine to my sister in the uk and she brought it to me - it would probably still have been cheaper if she posted it so that may be an option if you have family outside of Oz! There is a certain store that sells shavers (hint) that sometimes has offers though too. But they are well worth it. I found flossing really hard but between waterpik, inbterdental brushes and floss for my back, unbracketed teeth my teeth look better than ever!

16 months 1 week and 2 days in braces
12mm overjet and narrow jaws all fixed with braces and elastics.
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42441

oktobergoud

#10 Post by oktobergoud »

I have one but honestly? I never use it :s It sounds ideal but somehow I just don't like it! Too messy and I have the travel-version which is 'empty' way too fast! Too much hassle for me...

smorse

#11 Post by smorse »

Definitely worth it! I love mine, it really gets out everything! It's also useful even if you don't have braces. There are a bunch of different attachments for it, I recommend it!

Sita

#12 Post by Sita »

I consider it to be a very worthwhile purchase. It's just so useful for getting stuff out of small spaces. I didn't use it much when I just had the wires and brackets but once the other stuff like powerchains and springs went on it became an integral part of my routine.

I think the reason that it is so expensive in Australia is that it is new to the market here and not many places sell it yet. And there aren't any other water flossers brands available here to create competition. You can try and order it from the US but you will need a voltage adaptor if you do. You may have trouble finding somewhere that ships it to Australia without huge postage fees as well. I just got it from the Australian waterpik website directly. At the time they had it on sale for about $150 and they gave me a free set of replacement heads as well.

Ceramic uppers, metal lowers put on March 6 2012 to fix spacing issues and traumatic malocclusion. Estimated treatment time is 24 months.

Ciara

#13 Post by Ciara »

I bought one through Amazon Japan for about $65. They were more than $100 in the few shops that carried them.
I don't know if my teeth are any cleaner but the bathroom mirror, floor, and walls are much cleaner!

marybee

#14 Post by marybee »

Definitely worth the money! You teeth and mouth feel great. :pinkbraces:

NICURN85

#15 Post by NICURN85 »

Ashybear wrote:Thanks guys. My mouth almost never feels clean, so I'll definitely look into getting one, although the cheapest I've found is $145. Are there any Aussies out there who have bought one for less than that??

Why are they so expensive in Australia?? :(

Also I read you can get a tongue cleaner extension for it. Has anybody tried that??
The tongue extension came with my kit. It was a total of 6 or 7 attachments that came with mine which included the tongue extension and also a toothbrush extension.
~KIMMIE

Click here to view my story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42578