Scratching Brackets

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

smile4jen

Scratching Brackets

#1 Post by smile4jen »

Is it possible to do damage to the metal brackets themselves?
under normal brushing and eating conditions
I read somewhere that brackets can get scratched bad enough to need replaced...

BetsyBug

Re: Scratching Brackets

#2 Post by BetsyBug »

I'm sure if you try hard enough you could scratch a bracket, but stainless steel is pretty hard and I think it would take more than normal brushing/wear to damage them to the point where they need replacing.
Elizabeth
Getting top and bottom traditional metal braces and bite turbos
correcting crowding, overbite, and TMJ on 3/6/2012
Turbos Removed 8/14/2012

Click for my story

dojo

#3 Post by dojo »

Unless you're eating diamonds and metal rods, I think you're fine :-*

Just try to keep from foods that would damage them (nuts and similar stuff). Take care of them and you'll be OK. I haven't heard about brackets that get so scratched they can't be used anymore, but they can get off your teeth and that means a trip to the orthodontist. That's why you're advised to eat stuff that won't break the 'cement' the doctor used to stick them to your teeth ;)
Orthodontics patient from 2007 to 2010.
Orthodontic Braces

smile4jen

#4 Post by smile4jen »

Thanks, I'd never heard anyone say it before.

I've been doing a lot of reading...I know anyone can put anything on the net.

I knew I'd get the right answer here.