No pain - no gain...

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ArchWired28

No pain - no gain...

#1 Post by ArchWired28 »

Just had my tooth pulled yesterday. Actually, not a tooth but an infected, diseased root that was left of one of my upper premolars. Having been in the post-op phase, I can't help but notice how minimal the pain and tenderness is. I am taking 2-3 advils and it almost completely takes care of the pain for the whole day. To me, this is almost nothing.

Getting closer to my debracing (hopefully in January 2013), I must state the hard truth: braces ARE painful. To me, WAY more painful than an extraction post-op. While the month following initial installation, to me, was only a hair shy of cruel, each subsequent adjustment is also annoyingly painful and sore for many days with almost no relief from Advil. Not sure how I managed to cope with this for almost 15 months already. But the "no pain - no gain" saying definitely holds true with braces.

The goal of my message in no way is to stop people from getting braces. What I wanted to stress is, getting braces IS a huge commitment and yes, a great inconvenience (and not only financial, I wish it was so!) Be prepared for a rough journey that will be worth the hassle - but this may not be evident until closer to the end. And remember: no pain - no gain.

Thankfully, I am getting towards the end of my braces journey. But, I have another journey starting - two dental implants. Which is quite a story in itself, and will take about a year from now until I finally get everything finished (if something goes wrong, the time may be longer). While it seems frustrating now, thankfully after braces I know that "no pain - no gain" and stick with that. I may have to write this all over my house to remember :lol:
NO PAIN - NO GAIN.

Best of luck in everybody's braces journey! :rose:
Had full mouth metal braces for 21 months. Debonded April 2013. Now wearing clear plastic retainers every other night.

I have no formal dental or orthodontic education. Hence, all opinions expressed by me on this forum are those of an "informed consumer" and by no means intended as an expert advice.