crowding of incisors

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

cei

crowding of incisors

#1 Post by cei »

I've been wearing ceramic braces for 21 months and was told at the outset that my treatment would last for 22 months (although I know initial estimates are not always accurate). I am scheduled to travel out of the country (for an indefinite period) in a month and will have my braces removed before leaving.

I am four weeks away from debanding and had my last adjustment yesterday. Now my upper incisors seem to be uneven. My orthodontist filed one of my maxillary incisors and now it looks like one is noticeably smaller than the other. There had been a little overlap (about 1 mm) between the maxillary incisors and he said filing would create space for the teeth to move in line. I've also been wearing rubber bands from the upper third to lower third and fifth teeth (upper canine to lower canine and premolar?) and a powerchain on the upper and lower teeth. The upper powerchain was replaced yesterday (and it felt quite tight).

My concern is that usually there is supposed to be no (or very little) tooth movement during the last months of orthodontic treatment. However my incisors still don't look quite right (in fact they looked much better a month ago). From the pics, can anyone say whether my braces being taken off prematurely? I've asked this question to my ortho as well (since he's trying to accommodate my travel plans) and wonder if it would make sense to just keep wearing them for a few more months. He says we'll work for optimum results - nothing more about the duration.

This is my second time around wearing braces (the first time was long ago, but that's how I ended up with an overjet) and I am really worried. I don't want to have to go through this a third time. And it feels like my smile looked much better a month ago.

What should I do? Hold off on the debanding? Continue to wear the braces for a few more months? Or get the braces removed and ask my ortho to adjust the wire and file the incisors so that they look even?
Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks,
Cei