Most Difficult Foods to Eat

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

klobird

Most Difficult Foods to Eat

#1 Post by klobird »

It's been awhile since this topic has been posted and I have finally decided, after all this time, the foods to which I would rather just say forget it. Not worth it. The problem is--I really like it!

Chicken and rice...the rice gets stuck under the archwire everywhere. I need my waterpik every time, but I don't take it to work. So, its 5 minutes in the bathroom just toothpicking and rinsing. Then the chicken...the chicken shreds as I eat it, then shreds get caught up in the archwire and brackets. It is SOOOO annoying. When I have both together, especially at work, (we have lunch brought in about 3 times a week, from various restaurants), I end up just sorry I even tried....

What is it that you really like, but with braces it's almost not worth the effort?

Kipepeo

Re: Most Difficult Foods to Eat

#2 Post by Kipepeo »

I totally agree for the same reasons. Add broccoli and tomatoes, (those pesky skins!).

Bread is also bad as it coats EVERYTHING, and is difficult to just rinse out.

Croutons. I love them, but they pose a 2-fold risk. I try to steer clear of them because they aren't a good choice for my diet selections, but also they are really good at popping brackets off, especially larger croutons.

Taffy chews. Again, not something I eat often because I'm trying to be sensible, but when I do have one I have to just let it dissolve. That's so hard for me to do.

ArchWired28

#3 Post by ArchWired28 »

Whole apples. I absolutely love them but with braces I abstain. In fact, this is one of very few foods I completely avoid. The others are pop-corn (never liked it anyway), and caramel (more pain to eat than pleasure from eating).

Pickles have been difficult for some reason, but I eat them anyway. Cannot give pickles up for anything :-) Before I eat them though, I cut them into bite size pieces to make the process easier.
Had full mouth metal braces for 21 months. Debonded April 2013. Now wearing clear plastic retainers every other night.

I have no formal dental or orthodontic education. Hence, all opinions expressed by me on this forum are those of an "informed consumer" and by no means intended as an expert advice.

Viking

#4 Post by Viking »

Potato chips...... Becomes concrete around the brackets.

TMJJill

#5 Post by TMJJill »

For me it is things with "skins" on them. Pickles, fresh raw veggies, etc... I can't bite through them.

Things that are thin and flat, like lettuce and fresh greens. Again, I can't bite through them and my teeth don't touch well enough now to chew them.

CANNED SPINACH! It wraps all over the wires and brackets and takes forever to clean.f

Any sandwiches on crunchy or chewy artisan breads. It hurts too much to bite into them and I can't break through the bread when I chew. It isn't worth it. I can't do pizza either.

Most meats I have to cut into very small pieces.

Braces as Phase II treatment for TMJD.
Lower mandibular repositioning splint 26 months.
Lower braces on 10.75 months into Phase II treatment.
Duration in braces: 2 years, 2 weeks, 5 days
Removal of Braces: September 18, 2013

TMJD treatment now complete!

Angel269

#6 Post by Angel269 »

Was eating fruit and fibre cereal but all bits of bran end up everywhere! Like other yummy things like milk chocolate but sticks in ceramics and is a pain. Curry has been ruled out due to staining my ceramics though so will just eat that once these things are off!

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

My braces story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42457

Impressions-08/06/12
Big Day-22/06/12
Started using Bite Plate-14/07/12
Estimated treatment-8 months (upper ceramics)
Debond date-04/03/13

DenverDeutsch

#7 Post by DenverDeutsch »

I agree! I think spinach is the worst! Gets caught up & spun around my wire!

Lux

#8 Post by Lux »

Lettuce and croutons I totally agree with that. Any crunchy bread, I've popped a couple brackets on that stuff. :(

loradora

#9 Post by loradora »

klobird wrote:It's been awhile since this topic has been posted and I have finally decided, after all this time, the foods to which I would rather just say forget it. Not worth it. The problem is--I really like it!

Chicken and rice...the rice gets stuck under the archwire everywhere. I need my waterpik every time, but I don't take it to work. So, its 5 minutes in the bathroom just toothpicking and rinsing. Then the chicken...the chicken shreds as I eat it, then shreds get caught up in the archwire and brackets. It is SOOOO annoying. When I have both together, especially at work, (we have lunch brought in about 3 times a week, from various restaurants), I end up just sorry I even tried....

What is it that you really like, but with braces it's almost not worth the effort?
My ortho gave me little toothbrushes that are like pipe cleaners - perfect to get the meat and rice out of your brackets. Can't think of the name of them offhand.

xanidu2012

#10 Post by xanidu2012 »

All the foods mentioned are pains in the rear end :-+ but I eat them any way. Some have jobs which I can totally agree with staying away from them due to time. Im a stay at home mom so I have nothing better to do than stand in front of bathroom mirror and clean wires/brackets :lol: . Steak is off my list. I find if I bake or barbeque chicken it doesn't get wrapped around the braces as does fried chicken. Lettuce, cabbage, collard greens, spinach I love and just have my work cut out for me :D . Pretzels I chew really sloooooooow :lol: now once it's adjustment time menu changes; and with my next adjustment on 8/28 I'm eating everything in sight :-*

BellaBraces

#11 Post by BellaBraces »

I cannot eat sandwiches in public unless I have cutlery. It is very frustrating as I have had a few business meetings over lunch where sandwiches have been provided. I have just had to look at them and go hungry. :(

JillD

#12 Post by JillD »

For me, chicken is a lot easier than meat.

mrsbrandong

#13 Post by mrsbrandong »

Rice seems to get stuck the worst but that is one food I will not give up! Pizza is tough to eat most of the time I just give up.

auco99

#14 Post by auco99 »

I used to love pizza. I avoid it at all costs now. I don't know why but it is especially difficult to eat. Salads are out of the question. I eat pretty much everything else still.
Uppers: Ceramic Damons, braced 1-31-12
Lowers: Metal, braced 5-31-12

Toasty79

#15 Post by Toasty79 »

For me it's anything crunchy or hard. Soft stuff I'm OK with, and like a previous poster, I'm a stay-at-home mum so have time to clean food out whenever I need to (I use those little interdental brush thingies).

I also haven't touched bread since I got my braces on. At first I coudln't chew at all, but then even when I could, I just decided not to get back on the bread train - I was enjoying the weight loss and flatter stomach too much to go back :lol: I may have had a wee bit of cake though :oops: