Retainers are making my teeth extremely loose?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

pa1n

Retainers are making my teeth extremely loose?

#1 Post by pa1n »

First of all, i apologise if this is posted under the wrong topic!

So, i just got my retainers today and after about 2hours i took them off to have my lunch, only to find that my teeth has gone very loose, as a matter of fact, my top-front teeth are actually wobbly. Should i be worried?

If it's gotten this loose after just 2hours im worried that things could get a lot worse if i have them on over night so for about 8hrs. I just don't want to wake up the next morning missing my two front teeth (someone please tell me this is not possible?) lol.

BellaBraces

Re: Retainers are making my teeth extremely loose?

#2 Post by BellaBraces »

I would call your ortho.

pa1n

#3 Post by pa1n »

Ok, thanks!

ArchWired28

#4 Post by ArchWired28 »

Calling your ortho is probably a good idea. However, I would not worry that your teeth are going to fall off because of retainers. Retainers do not move your teeth, they just retain them on where they already are. So they should not do anything bad to your teeth. I'd also suggest to wear your retainers as directed in case you cannot get in touch with your orto right away. Don't stop wearing them because this may and probably will do more harm than good.
Had full mouth metal braces for 21 months. Debonded April 2013. Now wearing clear plastic retainers every other night.

I have no formal dental or orthodontic education. Hence, all opinions expressed by me on this forum are those of an "informed consumer" and by no means intended as an expert advice.

Sita

#5 Post by Sita »

Sometimes retainers do need to be adjusted a little bit if they are causing problems for the wearer. Calling the ortho and getting them checked is the best way to go. If only for your own piece of mind. :-)

Ceramic uppers, metal lowers put on March 6 2012 to fix spacing issues and traumatic malocclusion. Estimated treatment time is 24 months.

BraceFace2o1o

#6 Post by BraceFace2o1o »

I agree that you should contact your ortho, if you haven't already. If something is worrying you it can help put your mind at rest and be corrected if it's an issue in the orthos opinion.
Braces: Metal fixed upper and lower
Estimated treatment time: 18-24 months
Braces Removed: August 2013 (after 33 months in braces)
Retainers: Upper & lower essix and lower bonded
My Story / Before & After photos