Has anyone noticed an increase in plaque?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jessieg

Has anyone noticed an increase in plaque?

#1 Post by jessieg »

Ever since I got my braces I feel like I can SEE plaque on my teeth. Especially right in the front on the bottom. I have never had this issue, and brush two or three times a day. I feel like I need to go to the dentist JUST to get him to remove it. Is this common or am I doing something deadly wrong?

Ashybear

Re: Has anyone noticed an increase in plaque?

#2 Post by Ashybear »

I swear I'm having a similar issue. I wonder if it is normal...Will be interesting to see what others say.

TMJJill

#3 Post by TMJJill »

How long until your next 6 month cleaning? If it is a while, maybe you can find out how much the dentist would charge just to do a cleaning with no check-up.

Also, you could ask your orthos office if they think you are getting an increase in plaque. I talked to mine early on when I was feeling that way. They assured me I was fine. They had no problem at all checking for me.

I just had my second dental appointment since getting my braces. In my case, it seems all my extra dental cleaning is paying off. They have been the easiest cleanings of my life with hardly any plaque to be removed.

Braces as Phase II treatment for TMJD.
Lower mandibular repositioning splint 26 months.
Lower braces on 10.75 months into Phase II treatment.
Duration in braces: 2 years, 2 weeks, 5 days
Removal of Braces: September 18, 2013

TMJD treatment now complete!

auco99

#4 Post by auco99 »

Yeah, same issue here.
Uppers: Ceramic Damons, braced 1-31-12
Lowers: Metal, braced 5-31-12

Rusty'sMom

#5 Post by Rusty'sMom »

I also feel like I have plaque building up around the brackets very quickly and it is very annoying! My teeth around the gums look great because of all of my diligent brushing and flossing, but I know I am seeing a build up of plaque around my brackets (bottom especially with power chain). Thankfully, my insurance covers cleanings every three months and I am going to my periodontist hygienist tomorrow! Yipee!!!!!
[Image
[/url]]

[Image
[/url]]

Sita

#6 Post by Sita »

I felt the same but I was at the dentist today getting a fissure seal fixed and she assured me my teeth looked fine and there was no visible plaque buildup. There is some staining from all of the mouthwash I've been using but that should come off with a cleaning. The dental therapist at the orthodontists office is always tell me she wished their other patients kept their teeth as clean as mine.

It could be that you're all in the same boat as me with it being stains from mouthwash rather than plaque. I rarely used to used mouthwash but since the powerchains went on.... :-)

Ceramic uppers, metal lowers put on March 6 2012 to fix spacing issues and traumatic malocclusion. Estimated treatment time is 24 months.

luchababe

#7 Post by luchababe »

Hella yes! I go for a cleaning every 3 months (my dentist office recommends that if you have braces) and was told it's just the braces doing that. More stuff for plaque to stick to. But keep up the good brushing and flossing and no harm will be done! At least that's what I was told...

And no, they're not taking off enamel with all the extra cleaning. They clean the brackets and any build up I might have on my teeth. They're the professionals.

MisterChris

#8 Post by MisterChris »

I was having a similar problem with plaque and the little brushes to clean food were getting big bits but not plaque. I got one of these and carry it around with me everywhere:

http://www.cvs.com/shop/product-detail/ ... uId=695761

I found this works great as an after meal tooth (braces) pick, as well as a plaque scraper after brushing.

clockworkrabbit

#9 Post by clockworkrabbit »

An increase in plaque and tartar is common with braces. You get more food stuck to the teeth now, so unless you floss and brush after each meal, you have more plaque-bacteria fuel in the teeth than you ever had before. If it doesn't come off, it's tartar build up (the calcium shells of the tartar bacteria building up). This is why they usually recommend having a professional cleaning (and scraping) done every 3 months instead of 6. :)

ITALIANNYC

#10 Post by ITALIANNYC »

Are you using Listerine twice a day, and a fluoride rinse before bed? That always helps. Its been about 2 and half months since my last cleaning and I have some SLIGHT plaque on the back of some lower teeth, but thats normal for that area.

zdenka

#11 Post by zdenka »

I think I will have to make an appt with a hygienist. I feel my teeth are yellowy and fuzzy more so than before. I am truly jealous about some of your dental plans, mine only covers cleaning once a year.
Total sentence 567 days. :)
Debond day: Dec 10, 2013

FFWM

#12 Post by FFWM »

are you using a water pik?? If you use one at least once, but it would be even better twice a day (ideally right after a meal) it really does a good job cleaning out food residue and thus cutting down on plaque. Off course use the waterpik together with brushing and flossing.

starbobby

#13 Post by starbobby »

are you using an electric toothbrush and a waterpik?

After brushing and before mouthwash, I use a waterpik on my brackets every night