Tongue Contortionism

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Cassandra

Tongue Contortionism

#1 Post by Cassandra »

So I reckon I could join the circus with all the ways I can now bend my tongue trying to discretely get trapped food out of my braces! I've almost mastered it while keeping a straight face too. Today I had my first meal out and discovered I'm no longer too shy to go right up to the mirror in the public bathrooms and do a big braced grin checking for food :-*

I haven't actually brushed my teeth in public though.... that's a whole other level of confidence I've not yet reached :crazy:

catgyrl

Re: Tongue Contortionism

#2 Post by catgyrl »

I know EXACTLY what you mean about the contortionism! I just hope I can break the habit after I'm debraced. I know I make the most frightful faces when I'm trying to get a grain of rice out of my brackets. As for brushing in public, the only place I'm comfortable doing that is the bathroom at work, and the restroom at my dentist's building. Other than that, I just rinse really well, and wait till I get home.

Sita

#3 Post by Sita »

I know what you mean! If only I could get food out that way that has wrapped around a hook several times.

I don't mind brushing in public bathrooms. Not had any problems. Most people just look over and then look away. Only had one rude person so far who just stared. I just raised and eyebrow and in my snobbiest voice said "Can I help you?". She immediately looked away and rushed out of the bathroom. I have no idea whether she actually washed her hands or not... :D

Ceramic uppers, metal lowers put on March 6 2012 to fix spacing issues and traumatic malocclusion. Estimated treatment time is 24 months.

Kipepeo

#4 Post by Kipepeo »

Try these flossing brushes. They're great for getting stuff out from braces and from in between teeth. Come in various sizes too. Reusable if rinsed, too.

http://www.drugstore.com/dentek-easy-br ... tid=183799

Cassandra

#5 Post by Cassandra »

Wow they look much better than the Tepe ones.

TMJJill

#6 Post by TMJJill »

I do the tongue thing too. I have no problems brushing in a public restroom. At least, not for being embarrassed or anything. Personal hygiene is important and nobody should fault you for that. What I do have a problem with is the actual sinks in most public restrooms. Anyone else have difficulty getting those motion sensor faucets to work with a toothbrush? I have to try waving my hand in front of it .... just so :D ... to get the water to come out and try to get enough water on the toothbrush. Rinsing my dental orthotic is almost impossible. :roll:

If you aren't comfortable with brushing completely, the proxabrushes or "christmas trees" work very well to get the pieces out.

Braces as Phase II treatment for TMJD.
Lower mandibular repositioning splint 26 months.
Lower braces on 10.75 months into Phase II treatment.
Duration in braces: 2 years, 2 weeks, 5 days
Removal of Braces: September 18, 2013

TMJD treatment now complete!

Bezza

#7 Post by Bezza »

I've had braces for 3 weeks and yesterday was my first time trying to eat spaghetti!! I don't think I'll be trying that again for a while. It got wrapped around my braces and power chain. Impossible to get out with any amount of tongue contortionism. I had to pull it out with my fingers in the end.

What other foods are tricky to eat?

starfish88

#8 Post by starfish88 »

I've become a bit of an expert in brusing in public. I've brushed in so many restaurant bathrooms, in the zoo bathrooms, on a nature reserve and at the beach (using bottled water) as well as at work. I bought one of those little travel brushes where the cover reverses to become the handle. I love it! I hate touching my braces and teeth with my tongue it just makes me shudder so I brush when I can to keep all the food out.

The only comments I got were from the children at work who wanted to know why I hadn't brushed at home and I had to explain I had but had to brush again after lunch. I find it funny when people look at me when I'm brushing in public generally. Having ceramics and with all the toothpaste foam its not immediatly obvious I have braces so they must think I'm really into oral hygeine!

16 months 1 week and 2 days in braces
12mm overjet and narrow jaws all fixed with braces and elastics.
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42441