New Problem

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

KissMyGlitz

New Problem

#1 Post by KissMyGlitz »

Hi I've had my braces (ceramic) on for 3 weeks today... hooray!

Well now my bite is crooked. When I bite down my teeth on the right kind of touch but not correctly and on the left there is a gap wide enough to put my tongue through. Prior to having my braces all my teeth met and lined up.

Secondly, now I find myself clenching my teeth when I sleep. I wake up with my back teeth on the right side (which meets) sore. Does anyone else have this problem or any suggestions?

Thanks in advance :)

catgyrl

Re: New Problem

#2 Post by catgyrl »

Your bite is going to be crooked/off for a looooong time during your bracing, I'm afraid. Your teeth need to move around in order to get to their correct position, so what you're experiencing is absolutely normal. It will work itself out alright.

I tend to clench when I sleep, too; moreso since I started wearing elastics (18 months now). Let your ortho know just to make sure you don't need a night guard, or anything. If it's just clenching, it should be okay.

AM21

#3 Post by AM21 »

Hi KissMyGlitz! Congrats and welcome!

As far as your bite being crooked, it's normal for your teeth to misalign while being in braces. It's the "gets worse before better" stage. Your bite will start looking better soon. Sometimes after an adjustment, my teeth no longer touch and my bite is off, it's all apart of the process.

Clenching with braces is normal too, your teeth are trying to adjust to your new bite. Just hang in there, things will get better. :)
Braced: August 1, 2011
Sentence: 30 Months
My Braces Blog: http://www.metalmouthtales.blogspot.com

KissMyGlitz

#4 Post by KissMyGlitz »

Thanks a billion for the reassurance.

I guess I just didn't know what to expect. I'm still excited and since its normal I can live with it.

Thanks Cat and AM!

batwing

#5 Post by batwing »

Like the others said, both are totally normal! I am also clenching on my right side, and my right is the side that is closer together than the left.

For clenching at night the only thing I found was sleeping on my opposite side. When I clench on my right, it helps me to sleep on my left side. It may be that sleeping on the opposite side reduces the weight on my jaw :?: I have no idea! I still clench but not quite as bad now that I started sleeping on the other side.
Central Ossifying Fibroma removed from mandible 3/8/2012, braced 5/24/2012, One piece Le Fort I performed 12/11/2013, debraced 8/26/2014

KissMyGlitz

#6 Post by KissMyGlitz »

Never thought about the way I sleep. I sleep on my stomach... Hmmmm.

I will try to sleep on my left.

TMJJill

#7 Post by TMJJill »

My bruxing got bad after I got my braces. My bite is way off and I'm going to be in that "in between" stage for much of my treatment. My orthodontist helped my muscles "relax" more with essential oils and by using ultrasound (part of my braces treatment package). I also see a PT who does trigger point releases of my masseter and pterygoid muscles in my mouth for when the tension gets bad too. My lower jaw falling back when I sleep also makes it worse so I've been wearing elastics from my back lower molar to my top canine since soon after I got my braces. So far the bruxing is under control. I get my lower braces in a couple weeks so i might be going through the same problem all over again.

Braces as Phase II treatment for TMJD.
Lower mandibular repositioning splint 26 months.
Lower braces on 10.75 months into Phase II treatment.
Duration in braces: 2 years, 2 weeks, 5 days
Removal of Braces: September 18, 2013

TMJD treatment now complete!

xanidu2012

#8 Post by xanidu2012 »

My right side bite is way off since being braced. I now sleep on my left side so it doesn't feel like I have lock jaw when I wake up in the mornings. So far so good :D

batwing

#9 Post by batwing »

xanidu2012 wrote:My right side bite is way off since being braced. I now sleep on my left side so it doesn't feel like I have lock jaw when I wake up in the mornings. So far so good :D

I'm glad to hear someone else does this! I was thinking I was just making things up about it helping.
Central Ossifying Fibroma removed from mandible 3/8/2012, braced 5/24/2012, One piece Le Fort I performed 12/11/2013, debraced 8/26/2014

KissMyGlitz

#10 Post by KissMyGlitz »

Thanks everyone! I feel so much better knowing my situation is normal.