Dance competitions and braces

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Clairebear1993

Dance competitions and braces

#1 Post by Clairebear1993 »

Hi again everyone
I was wondering if there are any people that do dance competions with braces
It is my first competition and the first dance performance with the braces

What do u do with colours u get? And how do u deal with keeping them clean and stuff when u are there all day?

Also I have a wedding that I am going to coming up and was wondering should I match the braces to my dress I am wearing?

Thanks Clairebear
Hi...

Baby canine removed: between 2002 & 2004
Started seeing orthodontists:2004
Started with current orthodontist: april 2011
Wisdom teeth surgically removed: 13/4/2012
Spacers: 29/5/1012
Braces (upper and lower): 7/6/2012-10/7/2013
Permanent retainer (upper front 6 teeth, lower front 8 teeth): current

Robot Teeth

Re: Dance competitions and braces

#2 Post by Robot Teeth »

I don't compete, but I am a ballet dancer, and the dance world is filled with people with braces, (to the point where I wonder why you even have to ask!) so you have absolutely nothing to worry about there.

And sure, I'd say go ahead and match your ligatures to your dress.

JillD

#3 Post by JillD »

Here is one ballroom dance competitor. I understand your concern very well. Braces limit me a lot. I have to think about what I can eat between rounds and keeping my mouth shut on the competition floor. When I first saw my competition pictures after I got braces, I was horrified. I was playing with my braces with my tongue. It was so ugly. I noticed I do that when my mouth get dried during competition. I don't smile any longer because I don't want to flash my shining metal braces toward the judges and offend them. But I put extra effort not to open my mouth at all to keep it moist. This is a sticking point, though. My partner believes that judges don't like us because I don't smile. But I don't dare to show my braces when all of my competitors look like princesses.

Basically I decided not to expect too much at competitions until I get out of my braces. I will keep dancing and competing because it is not something I can choose not to. In the ballroom dance competition world, pure good performance is not all judges look for. Unfortunately good look influences the judges' judgement. Well, I cannot show my 100% right now. That is OK because it is only temporary.

Clairebear1993

#4 Post by Clairebear1993 »

Thanks for the advice... I knew there were lots of people with them but was more wondering if the colours will effect things like should I get a plain colour like silver

I don't mind the braces and will still smile but I only have 2 dances at the comp so it is fine lol

And yer will match the colours with my dress for the wedding :)
Hi...

Clairebear1993

#5 Post by Clairebear1993 »

Hey again
Robot teeth this is my first comp and I have only had the braces a short time so I don't really know what colors people have and stuff like that

Anyway go for my appointment on tuesday so will see what the teacher says on Monday night at classes... One of the dances is a group one and I an the only one with braces so don't want then to be to obvious u know :)
Hi...

elsaqueen

#6 Post by elsaqueen »

Dance steps take particular effort to learn but they are attractive to lookout and are well worth any effort put into them. What type of ballroom dance stages are currently contagious you’re comfortable?

trishabrink

#7 Post by trishabrink »

Why would braces as young kid impact having a professional dance career?
Why would no one have heard of your studio and yet you win everywhere? Maybe you could post the general area and someone might chime in knowing what you are talking about.

We have dance moms from all over on here and from countless types of studios, and yet this "no braces" rule isn't even remotely fathomable to most of us. It doesn't make good business sense for an SO to implement that kind of rule, and wearing braces has never been a factor for most dancers at competitions.

trishabrink

#8 Post by trishabrink »

They said that the metal is a distraction to the judges and that with the stage lights it reflects off. To me it seems like a load of crap but it is their policy.

That said, I do think it is pretty common for preteens to have braces.

metalliKa

#9 Post by metalliKa »

I don't dance and apologize if I'm crude but I wonder why some of you brace wearers are even concern about this kind of stuff? It only goes to show how superficial you are! Sorry again for my crude comment.
Offenses: Skeletal and Dental Class 2 malocclusion
Sentence: 12-15 months
Jailed: 3/24/15
Released: 5/24/16
Life behind brackets: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=48554

djspeece

#10 Post by djspeece »

metalliKa wrote:I don't dance and apologize if I'm crude but I wonder why some of you brace wearers are even concern about this kind of stuff? It only goes to show how superficial you are! Sorry again for my crude comment.
That seems harsh to me, metalliKa and a bit out of tune with your usual compassion and helpful advice. People in the performing arts are of course concerned about appearances, knowing that any distraction to the audience/judges might detract from the overall appreciation of a performance. Many of us here (ahem) got braces to correct cosmetic issues. I don't think that would be superficial. It's a personal decision.
Stepping off the soap box.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

metalliKa

#11 Post by metalliKa »

djspeece wrote: That seems harsh to me, metalliKa and a bit out of tune with your usual compassion and helpful advice. People in the performing arts are of course concerned about appearances, knowing that any distraction to the audience/judges might detract from the overall appreciation of a performance. Many of us here (ahem) got braces to correct cosmetic issues. I don't think that would be superficial. It's a personal decision.
Stepping off the soap box.
Yes, my comment was somewhat harsh, but don't get me wrong. I have a hard time understanding the original poster asking if a certain ligature color will affect her performance or what color should she coordinate to fit the dress she's wearing to a wedding. These should be the least of her concerns.

Though, I gathered she may be young and I should have been more sympathetic with my words. I will impart that I doubt the color of her ligs will affect anything she does or wears.

metalliKa

#12 Post by metalliKa »

Arg! This post is from way back then!

trishabrink

#13 Post by trishabrink »

[quote="djspeece"][quote="metalliKa"]I don't dance and apologize if I'm crude but I wonder why some of you brace wearers are even concern about this kind of stuff? It only goes to show how superficial you are! Sorry again for my crude comment.[/quote]

That seems harsh to me, metalliKa and a bit out of tune with your usual compassion and helpful advice. People in the performing arts are of course concerned about appearances, knowing that any distraction to the audience/judges might detract from the overall appreciation of a performance. Many of us here (ahem) got braces to correct cosmetic issues. I don't think that would be superficial. It's a personal decision.
Stepping off the soap box.[/quote]

Agree with djspeece specially with the point that "People in the performing arts are of course concerned about appearances". Your appearance also effect on your overall appreciation of performance. Yes many of us got braces to correct cosmetic issues my friend who was with me in the dance classes at http://www.dance-passion.com/ also got braces and many other girls too but they didn't hesitate in taking dance classes with braces. Indeed it's a personal decision.

Dancer5678

#14 Post by Dancer5678 »

djspeece wrote:
> [quote="metalliKa"]I don't dance and apologize if I'm crude but I
> wonder why some of you brace wearers are even concern about this kind of
> stuff? It only goes to show how superficial you are! Sorry again for my
> crude comment.[/quote]
>
> That seems harsh to me, metalliKa and a bit out of tune with your usual
> compassion and helpful advice. People in the performing arts are of course
> concerned about appearances, knowing that any distraction to the
> audience/judges might detract from the overall appreciation of a
> performance. Many of us here (ahem) got braces to correct cosmetic issues.
> I don't think that would be superficial. It's a personal decision.
> Stepping off the soap box.

Just don’t say it metalliKa, if you feel the need to say sorry. For future reference, if you have to say it’s crude that’s along the lines of saying no offense and then saying something bratty. Just hold your tongue. No one wants to hear crap like that, and frankly I don’t care what you think and neither should anyone else.