A worrying observation - front tooth is longer than the othe

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Gracey83

A worrying observation - front tooth is longer than the othe

#1 Post by Gracey83 »

Hi everyone, I'm 28 and got metal braces fitted 5 weeks ago to my top teeth to try and get that hollywood smile in time for my wedding next year. Am feeling some movement already so am delighted. Today I visited my ortho for the first time since getting the braces. He changed the wire and was very happy with my progress so far. I was chuffed until later today I was studying my teeth in the mirror when.. Horror!... I noticed that one of my front teeth is now longer than the other. It was slightly crooked to begin with but not really noticeable (its my side teeth that are in need of fixing more than my front if that makes sense!) but now Im freaking out. Please tell me this is normal and that my front teeth will even up??
Any help appreciated!

BellaBraces

Re: A worrying observation - front tooth is longer than the

#2 Post by BellaBraces »

How do you mean longer? Does the gum line go up higher, or does the bottom of the tooth come down lower than the ones next to it?

Could it just be the angle it is currently at?

I am pretty sure they can shave bits off at the end of treatment to even things up if necessary.

Gracey83

#3 Post by Gracey83 »

Thanks Bella Braces but no the tooth is definitely slightly longer in length! When I run my tongue along the back of my front teeth I can feel that the 'longer' tooth isn't out as far as the other so maybe it's a case that once they are both aligned that they will be even?? Oh god I hate the sound of getting the tooth shaved!

BellaBraces

#4 Post by BellaBraces »

I'm having my teeth shaved in between as they are crowded. It's really not as bad as it sounds.

BellaBraces

#5 Post by BellaBraces »

BellaBraces wrote:I'm having my teeth shaved in between as they are crowded. It's really not as bad as it sounds.
I lied. The only shaving I had done last time was with a drill attachment and it was fine. Today at my adjustment session he rasped in between the teeth with sandpaper like stuff. Ugh, ugh, ugh. Worse than nails down a chalkboard.

kitsune

#6 Post by kitsune »

Over the course of my treatment so far, I discovered that one of my front teeth is longer than the other. My ortho told me that when I am finished, he will just even them out a bit. I can't wait!