Archwire to widen smile?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Kingge21

Archwire to widen smile?

#1 Post by Kingge21 »

Hi

Will a brace widen your smile on it's own i.e without spacers? I have gaps at the side of my mouth (like tunnels) where teeth should be, I've got a fan-shaped bite at the moment - narrow at the front and getting wider at the back.

I didn't discuss this with my orthodontist but I'm guessing the archwire takes care of it? We only talked about it correcting my crossbite and crooked front teeth.

Thanks

Georgina

DrBill

Re: Archwire to widen smile?

#2 Post by DrBill »

Depending on the angle of your teeth, archwires can certainly broaden the smile and reduce those "tunnels" (called buccal corridors if you want to get technical with your orthodontist!). Key word is "reduce" - depending on jaw size, tooth angulation, etc they can't always be completely eliminated - but most patients can show a nice improvement.

mrsbraceface

#3 Post by mrsbraceface »

My ortho told me the archwire will widen my smile some. He took some new pics about 4 months into braces and I can already see a difference with it being a little wider. I'm sure it depends on your particular case though.

Good luck!

Kingge21

#4 Post by Kingge21 »

Thanks for all your replies so far.

I've got the metal ones on the bottom now but can't wait to get the uppers on so I can (hopefully) start seeing a difference.

My teeth/smile isn't very narrow - not quite a V - but my mouth is pretty big.