24, UK. Need braces desperately. Need encouragement.

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

margarets

Re: 24, UK. Need braces desperately. Need encouragement.

#16 Post by margarets »

Think of your teeth as an investment. A few thousand pounds now for DECADES of nice straight teeth later. You'll feel more confident, which could easily affect your career choices etc, so having braces might even pay dividends down the road in terms of a higher salary and so on. Not to mention your confidence in the dating arena.

As the others say, shop around, see what payment plans are available. There's nothing wrong with spreading out the payments over a bit longer period if it makes the whole thing more do-able for you. Maybe save up 25% of the total cost, and then get started? That's pretty responsible.

Good luck!

Angel269

#17 Post by Angel269 »

I'm 24 and got my braces (upper arch only) 3 weeks ago.

Like yourself I should've had them as a teen. I developed a dental phobia as a child mainly the thought of metal braces horrified me and just refused to do anything about it, felt even less desire to do it because no one in my family had had them. At times throughout my teens I contemplated doing it but my dental phobia was extreme and I was embarrassed of my teeth (vicious circle).

Long story short after overcoming my phobia I have done it and I know that it will give me something more important than nice teeth-self esteem!

If I can do it so can you. Good luck :-)

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

My braces story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42457

Impressions-08/06/12
Big Day-22/06/12
Started using Bite Plate-14/07/12
Estimated treatment-8 months (upper ceramics)
Debond date-04/03/13

Dee17

#18 Post by Dee17 »

Hi,
I just finished reading your posting and wanted to comment. I am almost 54 years old and will probably be wearing braces on my teeth in a few months because of a significant gap that has developed between my two front teeth following extractions of a molar and a bicuspid. I think that if you are having such trouble with your quality of life that investing in yourself by getting braces will be well worth the time, effort and money. Your smile will improve so dramatically and so will your outlook on life. As for your feelings of resentment toward your parents, I can definitely understand why you might feel that way but part of growing up and finally becoming a grown up is being able to "forgive" your parents for the ways in which they let you down as a child. I had tremendous issues with my father who was very emotionally cold and distant to me when I was a child. He was definitely NOT the father I so desperately needed. Only when I finally grew up and had my own children and began to make some of my own mistakes was I finally able to forgive him for the fact that he was simply doing the best he could with the coping skills he had developed in his own life. Your parents may have had their reasons for not getting you to an orthodontist when you were younger. They may not even fully understand those reasons for neglecting the issues with your teeth themselves. Regardless, what is done is done. You are not helping your own mental state by harbouring that resentment. You need to focus on the future and what steps you need to take in order to change your situation. I wish you all the best success in your journey.
If you end up opting to get braces your teeth will look 100% better in no time at all. Courage and fortitude!
Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take,
but by the moments that take your breath away.
-- Maya Angelou

[
My story here: [url]http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=42752

and here:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42976

My blog: http://dvorahstraintracksadventure.blogspot.ca/

BraceFace2o1o

#19 Post by BraceFace2o1o »

TombstoneTeeth wrote:1. I'm 24 and need braces. Too late?
It is never too late IMO. I got my braces at 24 and am so glad I did. Of course a part of me wishes I had them a lot younger, but better late than never.
TombstoneTeeth wrote:2. How restrictive are the financial plans? My credit history is not at all perfect, I went a bit wild with a credit card at university, still paying it off. (This wasn't irresponsible spending, was using it to pay my rent.)
I did not require any credit check. Many orthos offer an interest free payment plan. I am paying for my treatment monthly, I didn't even have to pay a deposit (I could if I wanted to) and my payments are interest free, spread over my treatment time. My ortho lets his customers pay monthly over 18 months but I was cheeky and asked if I could spread it over 24 months and he kindly agreed, although if my treatment ends before 24 months I will probably have to pay up the remainder when I am debraced. I am in the UK too by the way. My treatment is costing £2900 including consults and well everything.
TombstoneTeeth wrote:As for shopping around, can someone tell me how I can best do that? Do I just ask around for rough prices for braces? I can't afford too many consultations really.
If you go to this website British Orthodontic Society you can search for local Orthodontists (I recommend you see an orthodontist, not a dentist to get your braces). Click on 'Orthodontics and you' then scroll to the bottom and click on 'Find Orthodontic Treatment - Introduction'. Scroll to the bottom again and click on 'Yes'. From this page you can enter your postcode and search for local orthodontists. This is how I found my orthodontist. When you find some local, give them a call and ask how much they roughly charge for braces and how much for a consultation (most charge in the UK but you might find some that are free). I would suggest having at least 2 consultations with 2 different orthos at least. I went to 2 myself and the first was awful.
TombstoneTeeth wrote:Sorry, one more thing: I get the feeling that I will need two teeth extracted as I have overcrowding on my bottom teeth. If I do need extractions (teeth removed), will these be a part of the consultation or will that be separate? Thanks.
This wont be included in the price as you will need to go to and pay your regular dentist to have this done.
Your ortho should be able to tell if you'll need extractions, definitely once they have drawn up a treatment plan.

Good luck!
Braces: Metal fixed upper and lower
Estimated treatment time: 18-24 months
Braces Removed: August 2013 (after 33 months in braces)
Retainers: Upper & lower essix and lower bonded
My Story / Before & After photos

bushbaby

#20 Post by bushbaby »

Reading your original post was like looking into my mind a couple of years ago. I had braces put on when I was 27 after resenting my teeth for years. Like you I had developed a terrible relationship with them and blamed my teeth for my general low self-image. Also like you I had somehow started this internal argument with myself about whether it was worth it or not and that I could never afford it without selling an organ.

Then I had one tooth that moved so suddenly so quickly that I was convinced one day it was just going to pop out the front of my gum and fall out. No way was I going to be a toothless wonder in my 20s! I had a tearful appointment with my dentist, who recommended an orthodontist to me who had herself worn braces in her late 20s and would be sympathetic towards me. I went to see her for a consultation (which I think was about £50) to see what she thought she could do for me and to see if I liked her. Then I had a second appointment to take moulds and x-rays so that they could work out a precise treatment plan and give me a full quote (this one was around £90). Up to this point it is all completely non-binding and if you're not happy you can pay for those two appointments and leave.

The quote came in at about £6000 for two years treatment on both sets of teeth. I was asked to pay 10% up front and the rest was paid in monthly installments over the whole 2 year period. They do not carry out a credit check as this is not a credit agreement. It is an interest free payment plan for a contractual payment for services rendered. So your poor credit history does not matter, only your ability to pay each month. Also remember many people pay a lot less than this. I needed a lot of treatment over a long time, and this included permanent and bonded retainers at the end. Plus I am in Berkshire which seems to be the most expensive place after London!

Anyway this became a it rambly but what I'm trying to say is, its completely do-able and you sound like you want it badly enough to make it work for you. I've had my braces off for about a month now and I'm so glad I did it!

Good luck x

Flossify

#21 Post by Flossify »

Hi Smilehope and BraceFace2o1o,

Would you mind pm'ing me the dentists you went with?

Thanks

bemurray

#22 Post by bemurray »

I'm like you too! My parents never forced me to see a dentist, and I grew up slightly resenting them for it, I had a fear of them, but I wish they had of pushed me, I've had severe overcrowding for years - it wasn't until I had to go in for an emergency that I saw they do plans for them, up until then I wondered how everyone else had so much money for teeth! The deposit may be quite expensive since you're renting, we only just moved back in with my mother, otherwise i wouldn't be able to afford it myself without saving for a good year our two - mine is $1170 then about $200.00 a month for 24 months, but maybe try and save towards it, 24 is definitely not too old! I'm almost 28 and mine go on next week. Are there things you can sell on Ebay or have a yard/garage sale to help get some cash towards it? Try and get as many free consults as you can, you might find a sympathetic dentist/ortho willing to help! :)

EmilieMW

#23 Post by EmilieMW »

I think you should go for it if you can afford it. Although uncomfortable and painful at times its the best thing I've done for myself, probably ever. Last Saturday night I went out with friends, and for the first time that I can remember was not ashamed to smile - and my braces have only been on since September and I still have a long way to go!

I was the same as you in that I hated photos with a passion, in the mirror I used to tell myself that my teeth were OK but in photos I could see that they were terrible, and also I was getting to the point where I felt really self concious when I met new people.

I'm in the UK too and my first consultation was free (my dentist recommended my orthodontist), and the work will cost £3700. I paid £1500 upfront and the rest in instalments over the year. My treatment is estimated to take 18 months to 2 years. I'm optimistic for the 18 months!!

I had to have 2 extractions for overcrowding which was done through my dentist and I had to pay £48 for.

Its honestly the best thing I could have done, and I have so much more confidence already. I'm 31 and wish I could have had it done earlier.

I hope this helps a little.