Quick question

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

roxie2519

Quick question

#1 Post by roxie2519 »

Why doesn't your Ortho, want you to chew on hard stuff? Is it because of the brackets falling off or what? I personally eat whatever I want. :?

Sita

Re: Quick question

#2 Post by Sita »

To help prevent brackets breaking and wires bending/breaking as well.

Ceramic uppers, metal lowers put on March 6 2012 to fix spacing issues and traumatic malocclusion. Estimated treatment time is 24 months.

wildpig

#3 Post by wildpig »

Just be careful on how you chew and eat. You will be able to handle almost just about any food (maybe in different ways than you are used to) eventually.

sirwired

#4 Post by sirwired »

Some foods are problematic, no matter what you do...

Whole nuts can act as wire-popping wedges... personally, I risk doom and destruction with some of the softer nuts, like pecans. But whole roasted peanuts? Forget it.

Really chewy foods, if they are thick, can easily bend archwires through your biting force.

Really crunchy foods can obviously debond brackets. (In addition, hard candy, unless you promptly brush, will cause instant plaque buildup far worse than if you didn't have braces.)

Sticky foods like gum? Well, you should need an ortho to tell you that picking strands of chewing gum off of tie wings is nobody's idea of a good time.

Lastly, popcorn is bad on several fronts. Not only can unpopped kernels pop wires and debond brackets, leftover hull bits can get easily wedged between a bracket and your gumline, causing severe injury to your gums if it's not noticed quickly. (As in, you could develop a periodontal pocket that will take weeks to heal in a matter of hours.)

smilehope

#5 Post by smilehope »

The main thing I'm going to miss is crusty bread - I bake (in machine) every day for the family. I love crusty bread! Actually, I would love it but for making my jaw crunch so maybe it won't be so bad cutting the crusts off while in braces. I can still dunk them in soup!

klobird

#6 Post by klobird »

I will get charged $50 for a broken bracket that has to be replaced, if it's due to what I have eaten. It's a really good deterrent! So far it's all good....(even though I haven't always been!)

BracedInNOLA

#7 Post by BracedInNOLA »

I ate a Clif bar (needed some food and not many choices) and bent my arch wire pretty good. It didn't have nuts and wasn't crunchy, but was just too dense, I guess. I was kind of shocked that it bent it quite as much as it did (though it's my first arch wire, so not the thickest wire around).

I can't imagine the damage I would have done if I'd gone with the beef jerky (which was the other protein option available).

roxie2519

#8 Post by roxie2519 »

wow I 've actually thought that the only reason why we should stay away from all this delicious goods, was because of the pain when chewing! I don't even know If my wire has been bent, I can't really tell.... :shock: :shock: :shock: how can I tell for sure.. :?: :-+

sirwired

#9 Post by sirwired »

You'll know. You'll instantly feel massive (if not necessarily immediately painful) force, similar to what happens after an adjustment, but amplified.

You'll also commonly rip wires right out of brackets, which is kind of obvious.

roxie2519

#10 Post by roxie2519 »

ok thanks , so when are they supposed to put the elastics around each bracket ? It has been one month and nothing.

sirwired

#11 Post by sirwired »

Unless you have self-ligating brackets, you already have elastics (called ligatures) around each bracket. They'll be replaced at every adjustment. (Note: You may have wire ligatures instead, in which case you don't need the elastic ones, and they don't need replacing until your wire needs changing.)

Ellebraced

#12 Post by Ellebraced »

I eat pretty much everything, popcorn everyday but I see why they say no popcorn because 2x a had a kernel "skin" stuck in my gum under my bracket and it really hurt, soon as I removed it felt better.

Please don't tell my ortho :? I don't think I can live without my snacky foods. I do avoid very sticky hard foods. Only broke a bracket once from eating salad, think the baby spoon torn it off.

34 years old, 2nd timer, Original sentence 2.5 years - Updated to about 20 months
Braced December 16th , 2010
Debrace Date August 22, 2012

My story http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=37941

roxie2519

#13 Post by roxie2519 »

well my dentist said that the wire will bend over the course of time anyway, because the teeth are moving ....so don't worry about it too much :(