Patients with wax

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

vincent168

Patients with wax

#1 Post by vincent168 »

How common is it that patients need wax? Do we all/mostly require wax at least at the start of treatment or its just that some people require it and others don't?

I have had the bands installed and didn't require wax, is this a sign I won't need them when the brackets come in?

klobird

Re: Patients with wax

#2 Post by klobird »

I don't know if you have any brackets right now--but most people have brackets with elastics hooks and buccal tubes to hold the archwire etc...they poke from time to time. I still use wax because it helps to keep the elastic from snapping and pinching my cheek. Your teeth are moving all the time. You can go for weeks with no wax and then need it--off and on--off and on. One day everything is irritating your gums/cheeks, and then you wake up the next morning and everything is totally fine. It's really weird.

Bottom line--I still use wax a lot!

LoveOrtho

#3 Post by LoveOrtho »

Personally, I never ever used a single piece of wax when I had braces, I just never felt the need to use wax. I don't know, because I had quite a few hooks and in the beginning they did irritate a bit, but I was just always too lazy to put wax on.
So, it really depends if your mouth / you are bothered by changes...

LoveOrtho
Braced since September 25th 2009!
Deband date: February 7th 2012
Getting retainer: February 9th 2012

tfischer

#4 Post by tfischer »

I used wax when I first had the braces on but haven't used it very often since. I am keeping it cose though just in case because when the braces rub wrong against your cheek, the was definately helps.

DorkieDiva

#5 Post by DorkieDiva »

I think I'm like everyone else here. It really depends for me. Sometimes I'll use wax up to five days in one week. Then for the next couple of weeks I'll be fine. I make sure I keep wax in my purse just in case.

cbt325xi

#6 Post by cbt325xi »

I've used wax off and on. Right now I'm using it quite a bit. I often forget that I have it in though. I've swallowed so much of it lately, I should categorize wax as a separate food group.

kitsune

#7 Post by kitsune »

I think I use wax a lot...typically at night. Most of the time I end up sleeping on my stomach with my face smashed against a pillow (wish I didn't do this...), and my wires tend to cut the inside of my mouth. Using wax decreases the owwies associated with my face sleeping.

vincent168

#8 Post by vincent168 »

I've been braced for a week now, no wax needed so far...am I expecting to need braces in the future or its now or never?

kellyb

#9 Post by kellyb »

i used wax at night for about the first 4 days but haven't touched it since

In braces 07/01/2012 - 29/06/2013

kennyandrew85

#10 Post by kennyandrew85 »

I've had braces 11 months nearly, I only just got given wax 3 days ago because I said my cheeks were a bit cut from smiling!
You don't really need it, just stops the wire/brackets scratching if you're a baby!

In my experience it's better without it because you adjust to it.
Brace Date: 14th April 2011
Estimated Debrace Date: 14th April 2013
Real Debrace Date 18th June 2013

4 extractions, upper ceramic brackets and lower metal to fix overjet and overcrowding.

luchababe

#11 Post by luchababe »

I've had braces for almost 16 months and need wax once in a while. In fact I had to put some on today because my bottom front brackets are giving me a little water blister thing that's sore. Who knows why today? You just never know when things will start irritating your mouth.

crooked rory

#12 Post by crooked rory »

Funny thing is that I never used way for a poking wire. I have used it to cover a overly cold sensitive tooth though. Kept the cold air and water off of it while it moved.

everythingisodd

#13 Post by everythingisodd »

I was hoping that the next time I went in for an appt. that I could convince my dentist to burnish down this one hook that keeps catching my lip. I only have braces on the bottom row so it's not like I will need rubber bands in place. Think he'll saw down that bracket for me no problem? I have to constantly put wax on it as it is right now..