Extractions and thinning of cheeks. Is this normal?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

nivell

Extractions and thinning of cheeks. Is this normal?

#1 Post by nivell »

Hi guys, newbie here but I've had my Damon braces since Nov 2010.

I decided to get braces overseas in the country I am currently residing to fix the overcrowding, bottom canines were rotated fully while upper canines weren't aligned. I've always had a wide smile and full cheeks with high cheek bones.

The ortho I went to is one of most reviewed doctors in the city (well, according to a one particular forum) and most of his patients seemed happy with their treatments. When I went to the consultation, I liked the fact that he seemed to want the best results possible but he told me that since I had a small jaw with big teeth, I could opt to extract four biscupids or not extract. He cautioned that if I didn't go for the extractions, my teeth wouldn't be as 'perfec't. So I opted to extract but he didn't do it right away. He fitted the brackets and wires and didn't do anything until three months later I guess because he wanted to my teeth loose and he also wanted to see the progress first. But a few months later, everytime I went for a checkup, he'd ask me when I was ready to extract my teeth. Yeah, I was feeling nervous at this point wondering if I made the right decision.

He extracted my first bottom premolars and then the top ones a month later. Had I known doing extractions meant retracting the teeth inwards, I wouldn't have done so and I am kinda peeved at my doctor for not informing me properly during the consultation.

My face started thinning due to the braces, at first because I couldn't eat certain foods but a few months after the extractions, I noticed a considerable loss of fat in my lower jaw. My cheekbones are more prominent but the lower jaw looks hollow and when I smile, it is more noticeable.

Is this normal and will this problem be solved after I get the braces off and start eating properly? It's been a year already and my bottom teeth are almost aligned and I'm still wearing elastics. The arch is a bit narrow but I was told the gaps need to be closed first and then the arch could be widened. My upper arch looks narrow, you can only see my front teeth, canines and the gaps.

I'd love to hear any thoughts from those who have had extractions and are happy with their results and/or their faces returned to normal post braces. I've read so many complaints about extractions that it's causing me (unnecessary) grief and heartache so I would like to see some optimism here. =) Personally, I'm sick and tired of friends and family asking me why am I dieting or making jokes that I look like a drug addict because of my sunken cheeks. -_-

nivell

Re: Extractions and thinning of cheeks. Is this normal?

#2 Post by nivell »

Oh yeah, forgot to ask. Would widening the top arch lessen the look of the 'sunken in' profile? I'm wondering if I should remind my doctor that I want almost all my teeth showing when I smile (like my original smile).

sharp

#3 Post by sharp »

extractions ruined my face

i'm no longer attractive

no optimism from me, sorry

sharp

#4 Post by sharp »

basically, i used to have cheeks. now i dont.

i look like a drug addict too.

DO NOT GET EXTRACTIONS PEOPLE!

jay1986

#5 Post by jay1986 »

We are in the same boat, but i just got my 4 premolars (bicuspids) pulled out yesterday. When i got back home and smiled in front of the mirror without those teeth i new that my smile was not going to be the same without those teeth, my face is pretty long and i have thick lips and not really wide smile. I dont know what to do, i will probably talk to my dentist about how i am feeling and probably go to see other orthos before its late. Im open to read opinions, thanks.

nivell

#6 Post by nivell »

Sharp, oh man, how long ago did you have braces? And are you seeing another ortho to see if you can fix your smile?

Jay, my cheeks were fine for a few months. It's only recently that I see these changes and I keep telling my ortho that I want a wider smile and I don't want a flatter profile. He keeps telling me I look pretty and I shouldn't worry. -_- The guy has all his teeth so of course he isn't worried!

Grr, I've made another appointment with another ortho this Thursday. Will give you updates to get his opinion on whether extractions were really necessary and if they were, what can be done to minimize the sunken look.

I wish I didn't have go to behind my ortho's back but he hasn't been very approachable when it comes to giving me more information about my treatment. He hardly looks at Xrays either and his approach is very old school. (think British/Australian style). Dammit, should have done my treatment in LA when I used to live there!

TumbleDryLow

#7 Post by TumbleDryLow »

I've been out of braces for about a year and a half now. I had 4 premolars removed. I have a slight change to my profile (nose looks a bit bigger) but no change at all when looking at me from the front. I don't really care about the profile change. It's not good. It's not bad. It just is.

I'm one of the success stories. Not all extractions are bad.

ArchWired28

#8 Post by ArchWired28 »

I am sorry, I can't really say anything specific regarding the extractions, but many people don't realize that orthodontic treatment can change their facial appearance slightly, even if no extractions are done. These are mostly positive or at least neutral changes; however, some people don't like it at first. I would suggest you wait until the gaps are fully closed and the teeth are at their best alignment before getting upset. Most orthos will aim at the visible 1st top molars when fully smiling, so the smile width should be ok. Hang in there. The most important thing is that you don't have any TMJ pain after extractions, and appearance should eventually improve. Even if it changes slightly... well, to me - the proper bite is more important.
Had full mouth metal braces for 21 months. Debonded April 2013. Now wearing clear plastic retainers every other night.

I have no formal dental or orthodontic education. Hence, all opinions expressed by me on this forum are those of an "informed consumer" and by no means intended as an expert advice.

maxhammer

#9 Post by maxhammer »

jay1986 wrote:We are in the same boat, but i just got my 4 premolars (bicuspids) pulled out yesterday. When i got back home and smiled in front of the mirror without those teeth i new that my smile was not going to be the same without those teeth, my face is pretty long and i have thick lips and not really wide smile. I dont know what to do, i will probably talk to my dentist about how i am feeling and probably go to see other orthos before its late. Im open to read opinions, thanks.
See if he can move the back teeth forward a few mm or reopen the sites/put in implants.

kru2tu13

#10 Post by kru2tu13 »

No! It's not "normal" for expressing my rage.

A lot of people have experienced the distress of narrow or thinning of the face. I've read a lot of posts where many people complained of the damage Extraction & Braces has done to their faces. I can pity this misfortune because I am one of them.

I went for Braces back in June,2008. I never knew anything about Braces. I just knew it can straighten your teeth that's all about it. I was in discomfort and wasn't happy about my teeth before I decided to go for braces. The money sucking Doctor told me that he can not proceed with my Braces unless he extracted 4 of my teeth after I refused to do so. I felt desperate to fix my teeth, so I accepted the extractions.

A year after June of 2008, guess what happened...yea, fat loss around my face and head. It must of been very gradual before it took my attention. That was the start of my distress not knowing what was wrong with my head until a while latter when I started to suspect it may be the braces. As time progressed, it kept on thinning. A lot of people did comment about my head saying that I got skinny and lost some weight and I knew exactly what they saw before ignoring their comment. I was so distressed on my facial appearance most likely I suspected it was the extraction and braces. I decided to take off the Braces before it was done in April of 2011. I don't know why it never occurred to me to do research of this problem until I finally took those damn braces off.

Today, I look the same the damage has left regardless of what I eat or the quantity. It's been almost 8 months and there's no gaining of an ounce of fullness to my head. Imagine my pity! I can just hope that it doesn't remain this way and regain my facial & head fullness and confidence because it took a year for me to notice my facial and head fat losses.

nessness

#11 Post by nessness »

I had the premolars extracted, and can honestly say so far the changes have been better, but didn't notice until recently and I've had mine on for a fair bit.
It made my profile a lot more appealing, but I did have quite a bit of an overjet to begin with.
Extractions always have their pros and cons so I think it solely depends on the person.

Hope it gets better for you though :(