New at this

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

DonJerson

New at this

#1 Post by DonJerson »

hey everyone, as the title says i am very new at this (ths is barely my second day with braces) i have an openbite and i want to know if the openbite can be fixed just with braces... i've heard it can only be fixed by surgery... but i want to know if is possible to fix it without that... b\i am 16 years old and my open mouth is not very severe!

BracedSurgeryStudent

Re: New at this

#2 Post by BracedSurgeryStudent »

Yes it can be fixed without surgery, it all depends on who your orthodontist is.
Jenn Medeiros

ArchWired28

#3 Post by ArchWired28 »

DonJerson

I am sure your orthodontist thinks he/she can fix your open bite without surgery, because otherwise you would have known. You are 16, so perhaps your parents talked to the ortho? You can ask them. I am sure they know what is going on.
Had full mouth metal braces for 21 months. Debonded April 2013. Now wearing clear plastic retainers every other night.

I have no formal dental or orthodontic education. Hence, all opinions expressed by me on this forum are those of an "informed consumer" and by no means intended as an expert advice.

TumbleDryLow

#4 Post by TumbleDryLow »

I don't know much about open bites. However being only 16 your mouth is still very pliable and your jaw bones are not fused together yet (as they are in adults). Given this there are more options to use appliances to correct things rather than surgery which is sometimes the only recourse adults have.