My braces experience.

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

38Illinois

My braces experience.

#1 Post by 38Illinois »

Well, I got my braces off Nov 1st after 15 months. And if I could go back in time, I wouldn't do it again. I think my experience is not the norm, but you need to know how it could be. I am happy how they look and with my bite but the whole experience wasn't worth it. I experienced pain during treatment and still today! I can not yet chew on one side and I still have wiggly teeth. The retainers are a pain. I am unable to enjoy the foods I use to. Again, my experince may not be the norm but please take time to decide if braces are right for you. I wish I never had them and kept the teeth god gave me. I hope I help someone void the misery I endured.
Braces on July 31, 2010
Braces off November 1, 2011

littleviolet

Re: Before getting braces please read.

#2 Post by littleviolet »

it's not normal to experience pain through the whole treatment. I only had pain for the first week I got them on. Even after adjustments it wasn't too bad. I can eat whatever I want. I don't even notice them anymore because I am so used to them. The only problem I have with eating is getting food stuck in them. Sorry to hear your experience was bad.

38Illinois

#3 Post by 38Illinois »

As I stated, I don't believe my experience is normal but some will experience pain through the whole process. The pain is not constant but keeps me from enjoying foods like beef jerkey and nuts. I am sure it will get better as the months go by but it has been hard and i wouldn't do it again. I just want people thinking of getting braced to know that everyone is different and just because you know someone who got along well dosen't mean you will as well. Be prepared.
Braces on July 31, 2010

Labguy

#4 Post by Labguy »

My sister lost three adult teeth due to a bad orthodontist (not from extractions but through bad orthodontics). She would have lost more but another orthodontist "unethically" intervened and snipped wires and restarted treatment. Sorry that you went through/are going through what you did, but it is so, so, so important to choose a good orthodontist. It can't be based on a popularity contest or cost. If you are still in that much pain, I would go see somebody else and make sure everything is okay. Some pain is normal with orthodontics; excessive pain could mean there are problems. --by the way, the ortho who treated my sister fled the state after multiple complaints and legal filings. Just because a doctor is a doctor doesn't mean they are perfect or even that they are any good at what they do.

38Illinois

#5 Post by 38Illinois »

I don't think it is a bad ortho in my case. He is well respected and practiced for decades with no complaints. My teeth are just hyper-sensitive to pain.
Braces on July 31, 2010

38Illinois

Re: My braces experience.

#6 Post by 38Illinois »

I am surprise and disappointed that the Site change the title of my posting without asking. I thought this site was for the free flow of infomation between adults with braces. I was clear that my experience doesn't appear to be the norm but felt everyone should know the risk before entering treatment. I did not want to discourage anyone; just wanted them to be informed.
Braces on July 31, 2010

bbsadmin

#7 Post by bbsadmin »

Apparently one of the moderators thought that the post title was misleading. Do you want to change it back?
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

38Illinois

#8 Post by 38Illinois »

No. It's okay. I really don't want to discourage any one from getting braces. Just want to inform. Thanks!
Braces on July 31, 2010