Getting braces & being a MUM!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

belistic10

Getting braces & being a MUM!

#1 Post by belistic10 »

Hi, i have just had some extractions to make space for my braces going on in 3 weeks time. I am slightly nervous but one thing that is worrying me abit is if the initial pain of getting them on is bad, how I will cope having 2 young children to look after at home (3.5yrs and 10mths) as i dont want to be taking out my pain on them (as i tend to get snappy when in pain! :lol: )
Has anyone else been in a similar situation and how did you cope? Its already tough having 2 kids at home 24/7! and our youngest isnt the best sleeper yet either :(

ArchWired28

Re: Getting braces & being a MUM!

#2 Post by ArchWired28 »

Ibuprofen! :wink:
Had full mouth metal braces for 21 months. Debonded April 2013. Now wearing clear plastic retainers every other night.

I have no formal dental or orthodontic education. Hence, all opinions expressed by me on this forum are those of an "informed consumer" and by no means intended as an expert advice.

belistic10

#3 Post by belistic10 »

yes i plan on taking that :D

AnnR

#4 Post by AnnR »

sounds weird but eating chewy sweets (haribo type) helps me with the pain - when my teeth hurt I just want to grind them which is naughty so I chew on sweets (or chewing gum but I get bored of that!). It really helps and it's only 1 day every few weeks on average!

You can get sugar free sweets I just choose not to! ;-)

belistic10

#5 Post by belistic10 »

ann thanks for the tip, might look for some sugar free lollies to chew :) i am being naughty and eating lots of chewy lollies at the moment since i figure next week once these braces are on i wont be able to for a while atleast lol if at all?

Sevilon

#6 Post by Sevilon »

The tooth pain has never been all that difficult for me. They can be sore, but it doesn't last long, and where the soreness is changes from day to day. What has been worse for me is the cuts/rubbing on the inside of the mouth and on the tongue. Lots of wax, and a numbing medication like Anbesol (I buy the store version) is what I rely on. And limit talking as much as you can if you have any soreness. I am a teacher and mom, and by Friday of every week, I have some soreness just from all of the talking. Then I have a weekend and it gets better for the next week!

Good luck.

belistic10

#7 Post by belistic10 »

that is good to hear :) gives me some hope :D not talking as much will be hard when i seem to be telling my toddler off all day long :lol: but i will just have to try my best and sounds like wax and stuff for your mouth is a good idea. Thats funny i am just about to start University externally to study early childhood education :) having a career change! what ages do you teach?

seriousthinker

#8 Post by seriousthinker »

Don't worry, it won't be that bad nd after a couple of weeks you'll be eating everything you used to. I have 2 children too and my youngest was just a year and a half when I got mine on.

I agree that wax is great. Make sure you have lots and have some mild pain relief about.

belistic10

#9 Post by belistic10 »

thanks serious thinker :) we have two under the age of 4 :) our youngest is 10.5mths old at the moment but growing up fast :lol:

belistic10

#10 Post by belistic10 »

ooh and i bought some advil today (ibuprofen) :) that should help

BracedSurgeryStudent

#11 Post by BracedSurgeryStudent »

belistic10 wrote:Hi, i have just had some extractions to make space for my braces going on in 3 weeks time. I am slightly nervous but one thing that is worrying me abit is if the initial pain of getting them on is bad, how I will cope having 2 young children to look after at home (3.5yrs and 10mths) as i dont want to be taking out my pain on them (as i tend to get snappy when in pain! :lol: )
Has anyone else been in a similar situation and how did you cope? Its already tough having 2 kids at home 24/7! and our youngest isnt the best sleeper yet either :(

Hey I had horrible pain because they put on heavier wires than the starter ones to work specifically on my overbite so that KILLED. I did not take anything and I went to work and school and ate (crying of course but I finnished whatever meal it was that I was eating). I talk every 3 seconds to a customer at work for 6 hours a day. And that HURT I thought to myself Jenn, this is for your own good if you want this overbite to not be here with you for the rest of your life then don't think about the pain think about the outcome. and I have been taunted my whole life for it and it messes with my speaking and eating. That's how I got through the pain and I barely took any ibuprophen.
Jenn Medeiros