ONLY Permanent Retainers?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Maverick

ONLY Permanent Retainers?

#1 Post by Maverick »

Hello everyone,

A few days ago I had my braces removed, and had a permanent wire installed on the bottom 6 and top 4.

I'm quite concerned about shifting, and wondering whether having ONLY the permanent retainers is enough retention?

From my searches I've found that most people who receive permanent retainers ALSO receive either Hawley or Essix retainers in addition to them.
So, I'm kinda worried! :?

I think I'd feel a better sense of security if I also had a Hawley retainer. Plus the Hawley retainer can also act as a gauge to tell if teeth are shifting or not, by how tight the fit is.

What do you think about ONLY having the permanent retainers?
Is it insufficient? Anyone else have only permanent retainers?

I need to make an appointment to go back to the Ortho to adjust the top retainer, because my lower teeth are hitting it.

So, when I go back to the Ortho should I ask for a Hawley as well?
Would I need Hawley only on top? or bottom as well?

Thank You!! :D

lav1

Re: ONLY Permanent Retainers?

#2 Post by lav1 »

Do you have something on top? I have an open bite (which is one of the worst to keep closed) and have a permanent retainer on the top and bottom. It is flat and much thicker than a wire. I asked for a clear retainer for the top and bottom for nighttime and they gave me that too. I do not use both at night because I don't want to open up the bite. So I wear the clear on the top only at night. 5 mths later I don't see any movement and I will try on the bottom and they seem a bit tight, but not too bad so I try to wear them once a week. So my conclusion is that where the retainer is bonded is probably alright, but the premolars and big molars could shift a bit and that is why I wear the one at night. The permanent only covers the front six (top and bottom).

You need something on top either a hawley or permanent. If you have permanent on the top and bottom then I would ask for clear retainer to go on top (the bottom is not as important but nice in case there is movement). You can also use these in an emergency if your permanent breaks until they can make you a new one (mine takes a month). Good luck!

Maverick

#3 Post by Maverick »

Hey,

I have a braided wire across the front 4 on the top. On the bottom, it's across the front 6.

I'm just concerned that this is not enough retention since all the other teeth are free to move.
I'm not sure if the Ortho has a good reason for only retaining these teeth. But, the fact that most people receive both permanent and removable retainers concerns me.

This is a big expense in time and money, so we should have the best retention possible for the long-term.
My contract was supposed to be all inclusive of the retainers, so I hope they are not going to expect me to pay extra for them!!

There are many good reasons to also have the removable retainers.
Like you said, if the permanent retainer becomes dislodged, you have a backup.
Last edited by Maverick on Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

ArchWired28

#4 Post by ArchWired28 »

I am sure your ortho knows better, but I do know of the cases when teeth shifted with the permanent retainers. The thing is, as you've just described, they only attach to the front teeth and molars can still shift. This is esp true in the posterior crossbite cases when molars are involved.
If I were you, I would have asked for the clear, "Invisalign" type retainer as well. That might be an addl cost but better than having the whole treatment going to garbage. Just to be safe. And being extra cautious now is better than being extra sorry later...
Had full mouth metal braces for 21 months. Debonded April 2013. Now wearing clear plastic retainers every other night.

I have no formal dental or orthodontic education. Hence, all opinions expressed by me on this forum are those of an "informed consumer" and by no means intended as an expert advice.

DrJasonKTam

#5 Post by DrJasonKTam »

The "permanent" retainers will only hold the teeth that are attached to the wire. If there was any movement of the posterior teeth, you may want to have something to hold them, particularly if the movement was in a transverse direction.

Some people are lucky in that their posterior teeth do not shift a lot, due to the stability of their posterior bite, but night wear of an upper removable retainer is often advised to prevent any movement. Depending on how the teeth started off, an upper retainer is often enough to also help keep the bottom posterior teeth straight, because of the way the arches occlude.
Dr. Jason Tam
Toronto Invisalign, Scarborough braces, and Markham Orthodontist
Diamond Plus Invisalign Provider
Thrice Published in the Invisalign Case Gallery

http://www.mcosmiles.com

Learn all about Toronto Invisalign at http://www.torontobraces.ca.

Before and After Invisalign Video 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNTVxoTQqR8
Before and After Invisalign Video 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywcwlyL-sg8

Maverick

#6 Post by Maverick »

Hey,

A few days ago I had an appointment with the Ortho, and asked if I would benefit from also having a removable Hawley-type retainer.
The Ortho told me 'no', I didn't need one. He said that those teeth were self-retaining, and that the bonded wires are all that I require.

So, I guess I just have to trust him? I do trust and respect him, and he has decades of experience in Orthodontics.
I suppose he is confident in the stability of the molars, and has no concerns about them.

I would hate to have to get braces again!

Snowglobe32

#7 Post by Snowglobe32 »

Teeth are self retaining??? Never heard that one before.

Maybe your case is different and you only need permanent retainers, who knows. It sounds unusual to me. What I would do is, check your teeth weekly and get back to the ortho the minute you see changes.

DrJasonKTam

#8 Post by DrJasonKTam »

It is possible if your teeth are biting well together at the back and if they weren't moved very much that the posterior teeth can be "self-retaining". However, if there were any movements for rotations, tipping, or dental expansion, there is a risk of relapse.
Dr. Jason Tam
Toronto Invisalign, Scarborough braces, and Markham Orthodontist
Diamond Plus Invisalign Provider
Thrice Published in the Invisalign Case Gallery

http://www.mcosmiles.com

Learn all about Toronto Invisalign at http://www.torontobraces.ca.

Before and After Invisalign Video 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNTVxoTQqR8
Before and After Invisalign Video 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywcwlyL-sg8

blackapple

#9 Post by blackapple »

Wow great info. I have similar concerns as there was no mention of a removable retainer but just permanent ones.