Is it normal to have duck lips??

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jamsmak04

Is it normal to have duck lips??

#1 Post by jamsmak04 »

Such a dumb question but is this swelling or what?? My mouth looks full when my lips are closed. My braces are only 48 hrs old so is this swelling from the gums, cheeks and lips or is this something that is here to stay? I feel like my braces consume my entire mouth and its frustrating me so much. My cheeks are all cut up and my gums are definitely swollen. I bought a special mouth rinse and some kanka today from the drug store to help a bit. I am not taking ibuprofen because I have read the swelling is a good this and helps the movement of teeth.

kaylaa

Re: Is it normal to have duck lips??

#2 Post by kaylaa »

I remember when I first got my braces put on (and my bite turbos, and my quad helix expander) I had the hardest time getting used to all of my new hardware and thought to myself "it's going to look like I have botched collagen injections for 2 years!?", but after a few months I was used to them and I didn't have a duck face anymore. You just need to give it time. Right now they are foreign objects on your teeth.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

clock

#3 Post by clock »

It takes time for your mouth to get used to them. When you are not as focused on the newness of them you will eventually forget about them and your mouth will feel normal. Your mouth is also getting used to rubbing against it that is not just solely your teeth.

Robot Teeth

#4 Post by Robot Teeth »

I remember that feeling... As if you were simply going to spit them out at some point because they don't belong there. But like everyone is saying, don't worry, you'll get used to it.

jamsmak04

#5 Post by jamsmak04 »

Thanks!!!
I actually am having a pretty good day today with them. I bought some oral rinse and wearing loads of chapstick and things are better. I just cannot wait to eat normal again. I believe it will get better. It already has.

TwistedShelby

#6 Post by TwistedShelby »

I've had my braces on for 8 weeks and my lips still don't really know how to handle them. MY husband keeps thinking I'm smiling all the time, but really my lips are just caught on my braces!!!

Toothless

#7 Post by Toothless »

I bet no one else even notice :)

Chuck1026

#8 Post by Chuck1026 »

I got mine on Tuesday (9/6), so I know what you mean! My Damons feel huge, but I am adapting. How are you doing now? Each day seems to get easier. Lots of water seems to help for me.

jamsmak04

#9 Post by jamsmak04 »

It has gotten so so so much better. My teeth a still quite sore but was able to eat fries and half a cheesburger today for lunch. I finally am able to live in them without wax now and I do not have duck lips anymore. Obviously they still feel super wierd and awkward but I feel much better and very happy I made this decision. My sister in law said I was crazy for doing it, I had pretty straight teeth to begin with but a bad overbite. But I do not care what she thinks, they are me teeth.
Braced on Sept 9/11
In-ovation C uppers
In-ovation R lowers

Shortie93

#10 Post by Shortie93 »

jamsmak04 wrote:Such a dumb question but is this swelling or what?? My mouth looks full when my lips are closed. My braces are only 48 hrs old so is this swelling from the gums, cheeks and lips or is this something that is here to stay? I feel like my braces consume my entire mouth and its frustrating me so much. My cheeks are all cut up and my gums are definitely swollen. I bought a special mouth rinse and some kanka today from the drug store to help a bit. I am not taking ibuprofen because I have read the swelling is a good this and helps the movement of teeth.

About five weeks ago I could have writtten that myself, by day three my mouth was so swollen people were commenting on it (not my braces, just the swelling bizzarely). I have plastic ligs which are quite sharp and they cut me something awful at first, and I got four canker sores by day 5 - I looked absolutely ridiculous :')

It gets much much better, now I can speak completely normally and there's no swelling at all, also no pain from ligs, so hang on in there :) only thing I still struggle with is getting my lips back over my teeth when I smile widely but even that's improving :)

Braced: August 18th 2011
Hopeful Debracing: February 18th 2012
Six Month Smiles treatment on upper, ceramic/tooth coloured wire with clear brackets.