Damon braces and powerchains...

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

bracketeer

Damon braces and powerchains...

#1 Post by bracketeer »

...are these ever used with the Damon system?
Embraced in a heavy metal romance with Damon since 8/10/11. This affair is destined to last at least 12 months : )

BracedSurgeryStudent

Re: Damon braces and powerchains...

#2 Post by BracedSurgeryStudent »

Of course. Just like my orthodontist puts colours on my Damon braces, the wire gets taken out and the colours or powerchain gets put on under the wire then the wire goes on and the brackets are shut.
Jenn Medeiros

luchababe

#3 Post by luchababe »

I have my powerchains on top of the wires and brackets. Funny how there are two ways of doing it. I quite prefer having the powerchains on. They seem to smooth the surfaces of the brackets so they bother my mouth less.

BracedSurgeryStudent

#4 Post by BracedSurgeryStudent »

luchababe wrote:I have my powerchains on top of the wires and brackets. Funny how there are two ways of doing it. I quite prefer having the powerchains on. They seem to smooth the surfaces of the brackets so they bother my mouth less.
That defeats the purpose of having Damon because becuase the traditional braces uses it on top of the wire to put the force and friction whereas the Damon braces arent meant to be less pressure oand moves the teeth faster hence everything gets put on under the wires, so the wires and brackets can slide freely making treatment faster and more comfortable
Jenn Medeiros

luchababe

#5 Post by luchababe »

[quote=That defeats the purpose of having Damon because becuase the traditional braces uses it on top of the wire to put the force and friction whereas the Damon braces arent meant to be less pressure oand moves the teeth faster hence everything gets put on under the wires, so the wires and brackets can slide freely making treatment faster and more comfortable[/quote]

I disagree. My teeth are still moving with the power chains. They still get pulled together since my Dr. is closing some small gaps. The wire can still move within the brackets. I can see a difference after wearing the power chains for 8 weeks so I think that either on top or bottom it's still an elastic pulling your teeth together. Whatever gets the job done, right?

BracedSurgeryStudent

#6 Post by BracedSurgeryStudent »

Well most definatly with the powerchains which is a different story than always having the elastic ligatures on top of the wire ;) if it wasnt on top it would move more faster, of course it will still move silly :D just a tad bit slower is all but hey a lot of people don't care about speed I do though, I want these things off asap.
Jenn Medeiros

luchababe

#7 Post by luchababe »

I know right? As long as we all end up with straight teeth in the end, they can put the powechains on my ankles if they wanted!

BracedSurgeryStudent

#8 Post by BracedSurgeryStudent »

luchababe wrote:I know right? As long as we all end up with straight teeth in the end, they can put the powechains on my ankles if they wanted!

In the long run that is all that matters straight and amazing teeth. But my goal isnt for them to be straight its so i wont have an ugly overbite that makes me self conscious :) But my ortho said my teeth will be a tad bit straighter, theres only 2 teeth that you can see that arent straight but from the front they look it ;) Best of luck with your treatment
Jenn Medeiros

DrJasonKTam

#9 Post by DrJasonKTam »

BracedSurgeryStudent wrote:Well most definatly with the powerchains which is a different story than always having the elastic ligatures on top of the wire ;) if it wasnt on top it would move more faster, of course it will still move silly :D just a tad bit slower is all but hey a lot of people don't care about speed I do though, I want these things off asap.
If you care about speed, find an orthodontist that puts together the proper diagnosis and treatment plan. The bracket system has very little to do with speed. Read on...

http://www.clonmelorthodontist.ie/pdf/S ... claims.pdf
Dr. Jason Tam
Toronto Invisalign, Scarborough braces, and Markham Orthodontist
Diamond Plus Invisalign Provider
Thrice Published in the Invisalign Case Gallery

http://www.mcosmiles.com

Learn all about Toronto Invisalign at http://www.torontobraces.ca.

Before and After Invisalign Video 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNTVxoTQqR8
Before and After Invisalign Video 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywcwlyL-sg8

ashesgap

#10 Post by ashesgap »

I'm glad some one pointed out the fact that power chain placement and brackets have nothing to do with the speed things move. There are quite a few posts about it.
29 years old
2-18-10 baby canine pulled
3-15-10 got braces
12-22-11 Moving-SO EXCITED!!
1-2-12 Meet new Ortho
1-5-12 Begin finishing treatment
3-5-12 Canine Implants...dun dun dunnnnn
4-9-12 Deband!
I had braces for Two Years and TwentyFive Days

BracedSurgeryStudent

#11 Post by BracedSurgeryStudent »

In orthodontics there is pressure appliaed to the teeeth and the archwires in traditional braces are tied in with elastics which act as bungee chords applying large amounts of pressure on the teeth to move them into their desired positions and that process takes longer. In Damon Braces the wires are held in by the sliding doors on the brackets allowing there to be virutally no pressure so that the teeth can slide freely along the wire and it moves teeth quickly because of the freeness to SLIDE, whereas they ligatures on top holding IN the archwire puts pressure and stops that free sliding motion. Cutting treatment time down and moving teeth faster into their desired positions. :)
Jenn Medeiros

ashesgap

#12 Post by ashesgap »

BracedSurgeryStudent wrote:In orthodontics there is pressure appliaed to the teeeth and the archwires in traditional braces are tied in with elastics which act as bungee chords applying large amounts of pressure on the teeth to move them into their desired positions and that process takes longer. In Damon Braces the wires are held in by the sliding doors on the brackets allowing there to be virutally no pressure so that the teeth can slide freely along the wire and it moves teeth quickly because of the freeness to SLIDE, whereas they ligatures on top holding IN the archwire puts pressure and stops that free sliding motion. Cutting treatment time down and moving teeth faster into their desired positions. :)
:D Thank goodness you cleared up all the confusion about how braces work... :D
29 years old
2-18-10 baby canine pulled
3-15-10 got braces
12-22-11 Moving-SO EXCITED!!
1-2-12 Meet new Ortho
1-5-12 Begin finishing treatment
3-5-12 Canine Implants...dun dun dunnnnn
4-9-12 Deband!
I had braces for Two Years and TwentyFive Days

BracedSurgeryStudent

#13 Post by BracedSurgeryStudent »

ashesgap wrote:
BracedSurgeryStudent wrote:In orthodontics there is pressure appliaed to the teeeth and the archwires in traditional braces are tied in with elastics which act as bungee chords applying large amounts of pressure on the teeth to move them into their desired positions and that process takes longer. In Damon Braces the wires are held in by the sliding doors on the brackets allowing there to be virutally no pressure so that the teeth can slide freely along the wire and it moves teeth quickly because of the freeness to SLIDE, whereas they ligatures on top holding IN the archwire puts pressure and stops that free sliding motion. Cutting treatment time down and moving teeth faster into their desired positions. :)
:D Thank goodness you cleared up all the confusion about how braces work... :D

Sorry to have confused you :( Have a good night
Jenn Medeiros