Wow, its been a year!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

believer1964

Wow, its been a year!

#1 Post by believer1964 »

August 11 will be a year since I got braced. What a relationship I have had with my braces. Ups and downs, seeing my teeth go thru different "looks". Strange new gaps, pains, elastics, mouth sores, etc.

I think the worse for me so far was when I started elastics and strange gaps starting appearing on my top teeth. I never had gaps before They looked hideous. I thought this was going to be a permanent look. I went 2 months later for my next adjustment which was a power chain and all my gaps closed in a week. Whew! Just part of the treatment process.

In some strange way, I may miss my braces, as they kinda feel like a part of me. I decorate my braces with prety colors and trying to keep them shiny.

But as I enter my first year of braces, and I look at my before teeth and now, I can really start to see it is going to be all worth it. So if things are really starting to look good now and come togethor, what is my smile REALLY going to look like after another year? Cant even imagine.

When people are thinking about braces, but scared to get them, I really try to encourage them to go for it and just do it. I am so glad I did !

when I get time, going to post a before and NOw shot of my progress.

rhomboid

Re: Wow, its been a year!

#2 Post by rhomboid »

That is awesome, thanks for sharing.

Snowglobe32

#3 Post by Snowglobe32 »

I think I may miss my braces also when this is all over. Strange but true. I am not looking forward to retainers but will wear them until the day I die.

rhomboid

#4 Post by rhomboid »

Retainers are like braces they get better once you get used to them, after first having a retainer I thought that it was worse than braces until I had it a while and you can remove it when you need to.

ashesgap

#5 Post by ashesgap »

Hey Believer...really glad to hear how happy you are now. I remember at the beginning you were not happy, lol. Just think what another year of improving will do. I know I won't miss my braces, but I'm sure I'll have an obsessive attachment to my retainers....mostly cause of all the stories about shifting teeth.
I think the motto for adults thinking of braces should be "Just Do It!"
29 years old
2-18-10 baby canine pulled
3-15-10 got braces
12-22-11 Moving-SO EXCITED!!
1-2-12 Meet new Ortho
1-5-12 Begin finishing treatment
3-5-12 Canine Implants...dun dun dunnnnn
4-9-12 Deband!
I had braces for Two Years and TwentyFive Days

ArchWired28

#6 Post by ArchWired28 »

Unfortunately, teeth do shift... Not only it's a waste of time, pain and money to not wear a retainer, but it is also dangerous to health. Yes, it is. For those people who had bilateral bite abnormalities (like crossbites) and had them fixed, not wearing a retainer might lead to a unilateral relapse that is VERY bad to TMJs. So, the point is... I have just started treatment, but I know, that I will be OBSsESSED by wearing a retainer.
To those guys that are mid-treatment, congrats! You have made it that far and there is only a few EASY steps to go. Take care of it and have flawless teeth till the rest of your life! 8)
Had full mouth metal braces for 21 months. Debonded April 2013. Now wearing clear plastic retainers every other night.

I have no formal dental or orthodontic education. Hence, all opinions expressed by me on this forum are those of an "informed consumer" and by no means intended as an expert advice.

bottlecap1990

#7 Post by bottlecap1990 »

believer1964 wrote:August 11 will be a year since I got braced. What a relationship I have had with my braces. Ups and downs, seeing my teeth go thru different "looks". Strange new gaps, pains, elastics, mouth sores, etc.

I think the worse for me so far was when I started elastics and strange gaps starting appearing on my top teeth. I never had gaps before They looked hideous. I thought this was going to be a permanent look. I went 2 months later for my next adjustment which was a power chain and all my gaps closed in a week. Whew! Just part of the treatment process.

In some strange way, I may miss my braces, as they kinda feel like a part of me. I decorate my braces with prety colors and trying to keep them shiny.

But as I enter my first year of braces, and I look at my before teeth and now, I can really start to see it is going to be all worth it. So if things are really starting to look good now and come togethor, what is my smile REALLY going to look like after another year? Cant even imagine.

When people are thinking about braces, but scared to get them, I really try to encourage them to go for it and just do it. I am so glad I did !

when I get time, going to post a before and NOw shot of my progress.

HIGH FIVE!
August 7th 2011 was my 1 year anniversary lol.
RPE. 6/5/2010
Full metal braces, 8/7/2010
Braces Removed, 6/12/2013

ambraced

#8 Post by ambraced »

And it's been a year for me too last Saturday August 13th......only 15 more months to go...... if all goes well that is!