If i hear "your teeth look fine" one more time!!!!!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

sammywantstraightteeth

Re: If i hear "your teeth look fine" one more time!!!!!

#16 Post by sammywantstraightteeth »

I also got similar comments in the beginning, until I opened my jaw up wide and showed them a new view of my teeth, then they were like 'oh yeah... that's pretty bad... I never realised'. Mainly because for years I'd unconsciously been smiling closed-mouthed and hiding my teeth.

Most people have been supportive, some of my friends and family are now looking at their own teeth and wondering if they should have theirs done too.

Well done PrincessLea for going for it. Stictly speaking I need jaw surgery but I just can't face it (no pun intended). So I'm going to live with my improved - but still not correct - bite.

Treatment started: 13th July 2010.
http://sammiesbraces.livejournal.com
http://pics.livejournal.com/sammiesbraces
Expected finish: 14th June 2011.
Upper Trays: 21
Lower Trays: 24

QueenElizabeth

#17 Post by QueenElizabeth »

:-=
Yep. I talked to a really good friend of mine (known her since 5th grade) and said that I was wasting money because it didn't "look that bad". Actually her response was, "When you smile I don't see your bottom teeth, so who cares? Personally I wouldn't get braces now", citing age as being the issue. Love my friend, absolutely hated that comment. :-(* Of all the people in the world, I thought she would understand. She's been battling her weight ever since I could remember, just as I have been battling myself because I always hated the way my teeth looked. Especially after being told my another ortho, that people with crooked teeth appear to be irresponsible! :shock: Say what?! Not everyone has $ 5,000 lying around, buddy. It wasn't until I found an ortho who was willing to accept payments, that I was able to put these puppies on me, or else I would still be without them. In any case, money spent on yourself is well worth it. People can tell you how pretty, thin or perfect you are, but if YOU don't feel that way, it doesn't matter.
"One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain."
-Bob Marley

Robot Teeth

#18 Post by Robot Teeth »

I'm plenty happy that straight teeth and braces supposedly represent health and wealth to some degree, but I really couldn't care less about how my pre-, during, or post-braces teeth affect other people. This is a 100% selfish endeavor that I take pride in!

QueenElizabeth

#19 Post by QueenElizabeth »

Robot Teeth wrote:I'm plenty happy that straight teeth and braces supposedly represent health and wealth to some degree, but I really couldn't care less about how my pre-, during, or post-braces teeth affect other people. This is a 100% selfish endeavor that I take pride in!
Never looked at it that way!! :thumbsup:
-Bob Marley

Marigold

#20 Post by Marigold »

Ha! Yeah, I can relate to this thread! My parents are in complete denial that I got braces. They invite me over for dinner of spare ribs and corn on the cob, and when I remind them I can't eat those things, I get the eye roll. I'm in my 40's so it's not like I need my parents' approval, although an attempt to show some interest would be nice. My boss has been my biggest supporter, believe it or not. Most people ignore them (maybe just to be nice?)

People just don't realize that even if teeth don't look noticeably crooked, other things are going on with the bite that cause dental problems. My front teeth were literally wearing away. They're not dentists and orthodontists, so do we even care what they think? Or maybe we simply want to throw away 6 grand just to look like dorks, live in pain and inconvenience, and continually pick food out of our teeth for 2 years... just for the heck of it. :lol:
Class II moderately deep overbite, mild crowding.
Braced on January 19, 2011. Debraced on December 16, 2013.
2 years, 11 months in braces.

Huggypillow

#21 Post by Huggypillow »

Hello to everyone here,

I knew that from time to time people may say things about our braces. Sometimes I wonder though if they are being nice or if there is some element of being jelcious. Most people know a rough estimate of what it costs.

I would rather people just treat me like a normal adult who just happens to wear braces.

I dont know anyone who has paid cash for a new car so what's the difference if I bought a new car or bought braces.

Like all of us here it's no party wearing them, there is a list a mile long of issues we face from slicing up the inside of our mouth to not being able to close our mouth for months on end.

Lets face it if someone we know is coming for morning tea who is diabetic we would'nt serve them suggary treats and high fat food, nor if we knew someone had an allergy to wheat would we make them a subway sandwich knowing it could kill them?????????

So it's pretty mean of people we know and who should know better, to try and feed us corn on the cob, large streaks and other food that is just not possible to eat, and then have the nerve to roll their eyes and make out like it's all ME ME ME and I only got braces so I could eat a special menu. PLEASE GIVE ME STRENGTH.

PrincessLea

#22 Post by PrincessLea »

thanks sammy! it was a hard decision that took me years to make but I'm really glad I'm going through with it!

tarabears

#23 Post by tarabears »

Only three things have bothered me since getting braces thus far. When something is bothering me with my braces like when my mouth gets cut up when I'm eating sometimes, my boyfriend makes the dumb comment that "I signed up for this" which sends me over the edge. My family also says I talk too much about them which is why I'm sort of relegated to this forum to discuss them or any questions I have for the most part. I'm still in the adjustment period of getting these babies on (I've only had them on for 2 weeks) so I feel like I sort of have a right to talk about them without anyone making comments like that towards me.

One other thing that bothers me slightly less is that when I talk to people I notice a lot of them looking at my teeth the entire time. I almost wish they would just ask me about them so I don't feel so awkward!
Tara, 25 yrs old.
Braced 07/19/11. Ceramic uppers, metal lowers.

QueenElizabeth

#24 Post by QueenElizabeth »

tarabears wrote: One other thing that bothers me slightly less is that when I talk to people I notice a lot of them looking at my teeth the entire time. I almost wish they would just ask me about them so I don't feel so awkward!
Well that's pretty rude!! :braces_angry: I think people need to practice the 3-second rule. If you don't have anything to say within 3 seconds, stop staring and walk away. If it's someone you're conversing with, you could ask, "Do I have something stuck in my teeth?" :wink: That way you both feel uncomfortable. :biglaf:
-Bob Marley

chocomorsel

#25 Post by chocomorsel »

Marigold wrote:Ha! Yeah, I can relate to this thread! My parents are in complete denial that I got braces. They invite me over for dinner of spare ribs and corn on the cob, and when I remind them I can't eat those things, I get the eye roll. I'm in my 40's so it's not like I need my parents' approval, although an attempt to show some interest would be nice. My boss has been my biggest supporter, believe it or not. Most people ignore them (maybe just to be nice?)

People just don't realize that even if teeth don't look noticeably crooked, other things are going on with the bite that cause dental problems. My front teeth were literally wearing away. They're not dentists and orthodontists, so do we even care what they think? Or maybe we simply want to throw away 6 grand just to look like dorks, live in pain and inconvenience, and continually pick food out of our teeth for 2 years... just for the heck of it. :lol:

I am still able to eat ribs but of course they need to be tender. Still eat nuts too without problems. And corn on the cob, just get a knife and literally peel/cut off each section and eat them that way. They still taste just as yummy without all the crap getting stuck in your teeth.