Extreme sensitivity to cold after adjustment?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

braceface2b

Extreme sensitivity to cold after adjustment?

#1 Post by braceface2b »

I went in for my most recent adjustment about a week ago. I got my bite turbos off, which was great. (I had the kind bonded to the backs of my front teeth.) They also changed up the configuration of the elastics they're using to try to close gaps between my upper incisors and canines.

The odd thing is my upper incisors are now incredibly sensitive to cold liquids. At first, I wondered if this might have something to do with the bite turbos being debonded from them, but I've noticed a connection between the cold sensitivity and something else. I'm supposed to wear class II elastics 24/7, and generally I do. On a couple of occasions now though, I've had the elastics out for a few hours and have noticed the cold sensitivity goes away.

My upper canine on one side (that the elastics attach to) has been unusually tender since the adjustment, though I really don't know why. It seems the two are related.

Anyone else experience anything similar?

catgyrl

Re: Extreme sensitivity to cold after adjustment?

#2 Post by catgyrl »

What you're experiencing is perfectly NORMAL. For a few months, I wore a small elastic from my upper canine back to my molar to close up a gap and OH LORDY... I could barely breathe on that tooth, it hurt so bad... Hot, cold, tepid... Any temperature would cause it to throb. Fortunately, that sensitivity did subside. I'm wearing the same Class II elastics as you are, and my canines are more sensitive than my other teeth. It's normal. I would suggest you not keep them out for too many hours straight, though. I know they're a pain, but the longer you wear them, the quicker and better your results will be.

Hang in there!
Cathy

BracedGeek

#3 Post by BracedGeek »

I had this the last time, too. All the teeth that my ortho is focusing on hurt like crazy. I live in Florida, so I stopped and got something cold to drink, because in the past cold has been good after an adjustment. Yikes, that hurt!
Metal braces from March 2011 until October 2012. Hawley retainers since October 2012.

jg15

#4 Post by jg15 »

I just have ceramic braces on and the same thing happened to me. For about a week after my first adjustment, one of my teeth had such an incredibly sharp pain associated with contact with cold liquids that I thought I'd faint every time something below room temperature touched it. Luckily, the pain went away, but I'm in for adjustment #2 tomorrow :/

Good luck.

emofaith

#5 Post by emofaith »

I am just on my braces for 1 month to be exact.

I do realised my teeth become extreme sensitive to cold water. Not just cold water even tap water i also feel pain. Is this really normal?

mrkdilkington

#6 Post by mrkdilkington »

[quote="emofaith"]I am just on my braces for 1 month to be exact.

I do realised my teeth become extreme sensitive to cold water. Not just cold water even tap water i also feel pain. Is this really normal?[/quote]
2.5 months into my treatment a portion of my teeth become sensitive to cold, warm, and even room temperature water. At 4 months all sensitivity is gone.

Ziggy

#7 Post by Ziggy »

Same problem here. I switched to Sensodyne which helped a lot. I don't know why it happens but apparently it does. Hang in there.

Beckett

#8 Post by Beckett »

I'm using Sensodyne and have found the cool feeling of the mint flavor makes me jump out of my skin when I first start brushing. I hope it goes away. I would hate to have to switch to some gross fruity flavored kid toothpaste. I'm glad to hear the cold sensitivity is normal and it comes and goes.
Braces for 18 months/4 days.

emofaith

#9 Post by emofaith »

I tried Sensodyne and it doesnt work for me... argh

sandraa15

#10 Post by sandraa15 »

I had this too after a dental check up, even water was making sharp pain run through your face. Changed to a sensitive toothpaste which didn't do much but it eventually went away after a few weeks.

Bracingmyself33

#11 Post by Bracingmyself33 »

I'm facing similar issue too!

I've just got my lateral incisor bonded 10 days ago and it started to be hyper sensitive for the past few days! The pain and sensitivity comes and go. I didn't face any sensitivity throughout my 4 months of braces.

I'm curious about why is this happening.

braceasaurus

#12 Post by braceasaurus »

Does it get easier the more you expose the tooth to cold water? Worried about this happening to me as I haven't started elastics yet :(

Bracingmyself33

#13 Post by Bracingmyself33 »

braceasaurus wrote:Does it get easier the more you expose the tooth to cold water? Worried about this happening to me as I haven't started elastics yet :(
I realised that the tooth is very sensitive to coldness such as cold air and drinks. But the pain comes and goes quite quickly...