Teeth whitening

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

dirtybyrd

Teeth whitening

#1 Post by dirtybyrd »

Just got my braces off on 2 days ago. My ortho told me to wait at least a week before trying to use any type of whitener's on my teeth due to the enamel. My teeth can be somewhat sensitive from time to time. My teeth have a slight yellow tint to them. My question is what would be the best/cautious way of whitening my teeth ??

My initial plan was just to start with the Crest White Strips and see how that goes and how white they get. Then if they don't get as white as I like go to a low grade gel. Maybe like a 20% or so. Any thoughts on this ?? I have looked all over the net and find a lot of conflicting information. Has anyone done Zoom and how effective is it ??

P.S. Besides a dental office, where can you buy different grades of gel and are there better quality brands than others ??

Any help is appreciated.

Fangpull

Re: Teeth whitening

#2 Post by Fangpull »

Quick office/surgery whitening procedures do not tend to hold the new teeth shade for long. Some of the whitening effect achieved by these procedures may partly be due to the teeth dehydrating. I had much more success with hydrogen and carbamide peroxide gels, applied daily, every day, for 2 weeks in a row in proper whitening trays. They may cost more, but the results a much longer lasting. Avoid quick fixes. It will be advisable to find a dentist who has done a lot of successful bleaching procedures. It is very important to have a consultation to get all the information, the procedure run-down and follow-up appointments, with photography and support. You will be a happier patient in the end.