how many stages?! And elastics :-(

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

AnnR

how many stages?! And elastics :-(

#1 Post by AnnR »

Hi all,

Had an adjustment up last week - I'm on a higher strength wire now - think its the 3rd strength I've been on since I started, definately thicker than the last 2 types I've had anyway. My ortho then said I will have to have elastics when I get into stage 3!

Stupidly I did not ask him how many stages there are - probably because subconsciously I didn't want him to say 50 or something! Would be happy if there were only 3!!!! Any ideas what he's talking about when he mentions stages?

Also.....I'm so dreading elastics....I can cope with the pain (I think!) but I do a professional job and think I'm going to look hideous with elastic bands! Anyone know if the elastics are white/coloured etc and what they actually look like - are they really obvious?

bp88

Re: how many stages?! And elastics :-(

#2 Post by bp88 »

I'm not too sure about the stages, sorry.

I got elastics 6 weeks ago, mine were clear and no-one even noticed I had them. I didn't have any pain with them either, the usual aching for a couple days after the adjustment but that's it. Make sure to wear them as directed, I did and when I had my next adjustment yesterday he said I only have to wear them at night now instead of 24/7 because I'd worn them as told and they did what he wanted them to do already. :)

Bracer215

#3 Post by Bracer215 »

Types of elastics, the way they are placed on your teeth, and the length of time you wear them are determined by your ortho and what he/she is trying to accomplish.
I was in elastics at the 8 week mark. They were in the shape of a triangle toward the front of my mouth attached to the top canines in each side and then hooked to two of the bottom teeth. I only wear them at night. I have now been in braces for 5 months and 1 week and still wear those elastics at night. Kind of hard to talk or eat but thankfully they are only worn at night. :)

klobird

#4 Post by klobird »

Hi there!!

I have had braces for 7 weeks and have had elastics since day one...I don't feel like anyone notices--if they do, I don't really care. They don't cause any pain at all, except for one time when they were rubbing on the inside of my cheek. That lasted only one day. Some days they feel tighter than others, but again, not really a problem.

There's just one thing--they are a total pain in the a#s. I take them out only to eat and brush. They fly all over the room unintentionally when I put new ones back on. They drop in the sink. I put them down and can't find them. The other thing is that they always remind me that I have braces--always. When I have them off, I barely even notice my braces, except when I get pokeys, which is often.

But other than being totally psychologically irritating :crazy: , they are really no problem...

bp88

#5 Post by bp88 »

Random but.. I love how you referred to it as 'pokeys' that is so cute! :)

musiclady2340

#6 Post by musiclady2340 »

How often do you change the elastics? Daily. Twice daily. I forgot to ask my ortho. Thanks :shock: :shock:

klobird

#7 Post by klobird »

I take my elastics out when I eat and brush. I brush after I eat and put new ones in. I think my ortho wants me to keep the same ones during the day, but it's just to disgusting for me. So I put new ones on. I went in for another pokey yesterday and asked if some people have to wear elastics the whole time they are in braces...hmmmm...
The answer was yes.... :shock: :ThumbsDown: :crazy:

Snowglobe32

#8 Post by Snowglobe32 »

I was told to change my elastics 3-4 times a day in addition to after eating.

I read where they lose their power within a few hours.

LoveOrtho

#9 Post by LoveOrtho »

Same here, I was told by my orthodontist to change my elastics at least 3-4 times a day...

Elastics do lose there power after a while of eating / talking. When I forget to change mine after 6 hours or so, they will snap in my mouth and it really hurts!

LoveOrtho

AnnR

#10 Post by AnnR »

Thanks for all the replies! I'm kinda dreading it because I'm worried about how they look etc. But exciting too because must mean it's going to make an improvement and am looking forward to the outcome! :-)

Chicagogal

#11 Post by Chicagogal »

I don't love the way they look. Well, the ones toward the front of my mouth. I do see people glancing at my mouth more now that I have them. They're sort of translucent, but start a kind of yellowy color that I'm not a fan of and somehow end kind of oddly white. They kind of look like spit in the corners of your mouth. I change them only when I eat, which winds up being about 3-4 times per day. my ortho did not so to change them more than when I ate/brushed.

THAT being said, they move your teeth so amazing fast. it's not an accurate science, a lot of patterns can be needed to get the right bite, but they're amazing and worth it.
Update: 4-2013 Back in Brackets :(
lower braces: 3/2/10
hyrax palate expander: 3/29/10
upper braces: est. 6/2010 (8/6/10 actual)
bone plate surgery: 1/2011 actual
bone plate removal: 7/2011 actual
Debracing: 10-25-11 ACTUAL!!! advanced hawley retainer
Rebracing: 4-3-13...front teeth rotated #2s lifted.