Did my tooth break because of my braces?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

christa

Did my tooth break because of my braces?

#1 Post by christa »

my lower 2nd molar is impacted. after i got my braces, i had some extractions and now that my teeth are moving it is slowly coming up and there is a small space between that tooth and my first molar. no bracket has been put on it because it was so impacted it was impossible to. so i was at the dentist today for a cleaning and she asked me if i had a filling there because it had fallen out. i never had a cavity i told her. she said it must have broken then, on food or something. which is weird because it has been under tissue all my life, so how can it break? did my braces do it?

ibraceface

Re: Did my tooth break because of my braces?

#2 Post by ibraceface »

I doubt the force of pulling it orthodontically broke your tooth--- because if this were the case, I imagine many orthodontist would be timid to pull impacted teeth!

My guess would be that maybe there was some decay developing while it was impacted (this can happen I think if it's been impacted a while) OR that because of it's funny position it may have been more likely to chip as you probably weren't chewing on it's biting surface.

I of course am not a doctor, but these are just my guesses! I had an impacted tooth, and believe me, it was pulled every which way possible and never broke! But, everyone is different.

I would get it filled and let the doc resume pulling to get that baby in place!!

christa

Re: Did my tooth break because of my braces?

#3 Post by christa »

ibraceface wrote:I doubt the force of pulling it orthodontically broke your tooth--- because if this were the case, I imagine many orthodontist would be timid to pull impacted teeth!

My guess would be that maybe there was some decay developing while it was impacted (this can happen I think if it's been impacted a while) OR that because of it's funny position it may have been more likely to chip as you probably weren't chewing on it's biting surface.

I of course am not a doctor, but these are just my guesses! I had an impacted tooth, and believe me, it was pulled every which way possible and never broke! But, everyone is different.

I would get it filled and let the doc resume pulling to get that baby in place!!
Thank you for your response! Those reasons make sense...mine definitely could have broken while it was ramming into the tooth next to it. Over the past few years I'd occasionally feel throbbing down there from time to time...so I wonder if that's why. The tooth doesn't have a cavity since the dentist took x-rays to confirm...so I'm going back in a month just to get it bonded.