Would braces help a 12mm overjet - saw 3 ortho & am confused

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Harmony

Would braces help a 12mm overjet - saw 3 ortho & am confused

#1 Post by Harmony »

Hello everyone

Am a very confused 37 year old female and feel like getting false teeth in lol. Ok I have a Class II Division, increased overbite - increased overjet of 12mm. I've been privately to see an orthodontist and the only way he said to correct my problem is to wear fixed braces for approx a year then oral surgery. This would involve breaking the jaw and bringing the lower jaw forward etc.

He said I'd a strong chin point and therefore a possibility I may require a simultaneous reduction genioplasty to get the best possible result.

He talked about some people may have mild dumbness permanently or tingling/no feeling around the lip area following this type of surgery and wanted to make me aware of that as it could be permanent.

I decided then to go for another opinion and have been told the opposite. The second orthodontist advised me to get braces only and he didn't recommend surgery. He said my problem wasn't severe enough for surgery. I asked would he need to do any extractions and he said no. He said my overjet was 12mm and that I needed upper and lower fixed braces. Then I'd wear retainers after the treatment. Said my lower teeth sit back and said the braces will bring them forward. Also when I smile it just shows my top 4 teeth and said the braces will help bring out my other top teeth for a better smile.

The braces are several thousand pound and I want too be sure. I'm just abit worried incase I don't see much of a difference as the other Orthodontist said braces on there own wouldn't make much difference as I needed surgery. The second Orthodontist didn't recommend surgery and said I'd see a great difference after the braces and possibily half the overjet (ie 6mm)

Seeing these were two different opinions I decided to go for a third opinion. So went to another orthodontist and he advised that I need oral surgery to bring my lower jaw surgery and said that braces wouldn't make any difference. Said the problem was with my jaw as I have a jaw discrepancy. He also gave me an option for veneers if I didn't want to go for surgery so will have to think about it. So that's 2 opinions now saying I need jaw surgery and one saying just braces.

Personally, I would have loved to have the braces but part of me is thinking I don't want to pay out that money and not notice much of a difference afterwards. So hard to know what too do! Am just thinking would it reduce the overjet to half (ie 6mm) without surgery?

I've also got into a habit now of where my tongue is sitting at the roof of my mouth. Think I do this to not make my profile look as bad. Oh dear I don't know what to do.

Anyone else experience anything like this? Would braces on their own help?

Thanks so much for any advice, I really appreciate any opinions.

sarahorsomeone

Re: Would braces help a 12mm overjet - saw 3 ortho & am conf

#2 Post by sarahorsomeone »

I'd say it depends whether you think you'd be satisfied being left with a 6mm overjet or not. It doesn't sound an ideal result.

I had a 12 mm overjet pre-treatment, but in my case only about 2 or 3mm of that was down to jaw position, the rest was because my teeth were sticking out of my mouth at an almost horizontal angle (I was told I might loose my front teeth if I didn't have braces because they were so unstable in my mouth, they would have fallen out with the slightest knock).

I still had to have jaw surgery, although that was mainly to correct other problems (namely vertical maxillary excess and a one sided open bite resulting from asymmetry in both jaws), but I was really not satisfied with the function or appearance achieved with braces alone (although my overjet turned out fine). I've heard of quite a lot of people who have had braces and then decided on surgery later, but surgery is quite a big, risky and potentially expensive step to take.

lilone

#3 Post by lilone »

I don't know about your particular case as everyone is different, but if you are not wanting surgery and are looking for inspiration try checking out other peoples "braces stories" for those who had somewhat significant overjets and didn't have surgery. For many, removal of two bicuspids works wonders. I think it depends on the case though. Hey Buckey has just posted comparison pictures from start of treatment to now that are worth looking at....it is really inspirational!

Harmony

#4 Post by Harmony »

Thanks sarahorsomeone and lilone for the advice. Yeah everyone is different and I'm just worried incase after paying out thousands I don't see that much of a difference and may have to end up going for surgery! Must have a look at these stories and see if I can find out about others who had similiar overjets and see how their story goes.

The orthondists have said I don't need any teeth removed so not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing for me. It's such a hard decision to know what to do especially when two Orthodontists have said braces won't help on their own as I need surgery. The other man who didn't recommend surgery seemed confident that braces would reduce my overjet by half by bringing my lower teeth forward etc as explained above. Oh decisions decisions, wish it was as easy as tossing a coin!! lol

ashesgap

#5 Post by ashesgap »

Well even if you get the surgery, you still have to pay for braces, right? So why not go with the guy that thinks braces alone will be fine. Then later, if you need the surgery you're already done with the braces part of it. If that makes sense. Either way you need braces.
A lot of people on here decided they'd be happy with the results that just braces could give them, even though the ortho said they would need surgery for perfect results.
29 years old
2-18-10 baby canine pulled
3-15-10 got braces
12-22-11 Moving-SO EXCITED!!
1-2-12 Meet new Ortho
1-5-12 Begin finishing treatment
3-5-12 Canine Implants...dun dun dunnnnn
4-9-12 Deband!
I had braces for Two Years and TwentyFive Days

Harmony

#6 Post by Harmony »

Yeah I probably could go with the guy who just suggested braces. He didn't recommend surgery and just wondering if I wasn't happy with the results then I'd probably have to go to one of the other orthodontists to get referred then for surgery.
At present I'm thinking will the braces reduce my overjet to half (ie 6mm)
Anyone else have good results where the braces brought their lower teeth forward?

Harmony

#7 Post by Harmony »

Sorry I forgot to say that my upper teeth sit on my lower lip and in the mornings it seems worse :( Think I'm concerned that my teeth will go back to where they were after the braces. I know he said I'd wear retainers at night time after the treatment. Is there a chance of teeth going back to their position?

Feeling down in the dumps about my teeth and I hate this look of where my teeth sit on lower lip. Confused to the point as how braces can help that as ortho said he wanted to bring out the teeth beside my four main teeth at the top for a more rounded smile. Then my lower teeth sit back and said lower braces will bring them forward.

Just thinking will braces help my problem as well seeing my upper teeth sit on my lower lip? :(

catgyrl

#8 Post by catgyrl »

Hi Harmony

I started out with a 6mm overjet, so you can check out my story to see what your teeth may look like at the end. My lower teeth were also pushed towards the back, and have been brought forward with braces. However, I have to tell you that there is only so far they can bring your lower teeth forward without compromising the roots. And in the beginning, with the 6 mm overjet, my top teeth still rested on my lower lip, so you may still have that problem. The overjet has been reduced significantly, and my teeth now rest comfortably inside my mouth. :D It all depends on the skill of your orthodontist, and how much he's able to fix without extractions. You're lucky you won't need any. My first consult said I needed two or three...my second said just one, so I went with him. Haha He also Never mentioned surgery, though he did make a quick comment about a "weak chin..." and I wanted to say "Weak? My chin is strong...BOTH of them are!"

As for your teeth reverting back to pre-braces, as long as you wear your retainer as prescribed, that danger should be minimal. I'm surprised the ortho told you you would only have to wear your retainer at night. There is usually a period of time in the beginning when you would be wearing them 24/7, then nights only.

Keep asking your ortho all the questions you need to. I hope you are able to make a decision you are happy with.

Cathy

Harmony

#9 Post by Harmony »

Hi Cathy

Thanks for your reply and kind help. Yeah you sound something similiar to myself only my overjet is 12mm and I've a strong chin point. Just after taking photos of my teeth/mouth and have to say I just hate my teeth so much and wish I could post up some photos on here. After looking at the photos about a 100 times (Lol) I'm starting to think that surgery may be the only option to completely get that good profile. As I'm typing this my upper teeth are sitting on my lower lip and it depresses me to say the least :( Might have another talk with the guy who advised braces only as he took all the x-rays, impressions, photos etc and tell him I'm abit concerned.

Can I post photos on the site, just would loved to have heard some opinion's or if anyone's teeth looked similiar?

revelvia

#10 Post by revelvia »

Hello!

My teeth sound exactly the same as yours. It will be interesting to see when you put some photos up because right now our situations sound exactly the same. Mine are also over by 12mm, and like you I've been told I'd also need a bit of my chin chopped off.

I'm in the UK and am therefore going through the NHS who heavily recommended the surgery. They told me that without the surgery they would be able to use braces and veneers - they said that I would still have quite a large gap, but that they would disguise it somewhat. After lots and lots and lots of thinking I decided to go ahead and sign the consent forms for surgery - I reasoned that at the end of the day the length of time I'd need braces for was roughly the same, the main difference being that the surgery would have a much better outcome than the braces. I was also worried that if I just went with the braces I'd come to regret the amount of time I had them on considering the end result wouldn't be as good.

I'd also argue that I don't think you can really get away with having just the braces and then changing your mind later on - in my case and therefore probably yours too, the pre-surgery braces are going to move my teeth into what is going to be quite an unattractive position so that when my jaw is moved it will slot in better - but will look even worse until then! So I don't really think you can just change your mind later on as I'd guess you'd need all your teeth repositioned again!

I haven't started the whole process yet myself, due to NHS waiting lists I'm not getting my braces on til August (it's been about a 2 year process so far to get to this point) but it would be really interesting to see your photos, as we have what sounds like identical situations it will be really interesting to see how both our journeys progress :)
[/url]

Harmony

#11 Post by Harmony »

Hi revelvia, nice too hear from someone similar to myself, join the club then lol. Not sure if I can post photos of my teeth, been trying and don't see any options. Maybe someone would advise me if I can.

I'm just trying to imagine now the end result after braces as my jaw structure would still be the same, if you saw the photo my overjet of 12mm is quite big and I'm not sure braces on their own can cure my problem.

So much to think about really and wish I could post these photos lol

ashesgap

#12 Post by ashesgap »

You need 7 posts before you can put up photos....so you need one more. :)
29 years old
2-18-10 baby canine pulled
3-15-10 got braces
12-22-11 Moving-SO EXCITED!!
1-2-12 Meet new Ortho
1-5-12 Begin finishing treatment
3-5-12 Canine Implants...dun dun dunnnnn
4-9-12 Deband!
I had braces for Two Years and TwentyFive Days

peaches

#13 Post by peaches »

I think its a good idea to discuss your concerns with the ortho who suggested braces. I think the hard part in making this kind of decision is that you don't know exactly what your teeth will look like afterwards. I have a huge overjet too (9-10 mm) and a mild open bite and was told I needed surgery for best result, but that I can get significant improvement from braces. For me that's enough 'cause I knew that I was not willing to go through with surgery. How much does your profile bother you? Is your chin weak, or is the problem that your lip sticks out? The later would be improved by braces. Good luck making your decision.

lilone

#14 Post by lilone »

When you talk to the ortho about your concerns (which I really think you should), maybe ask if upper extractions will help bring the teeth back and camouflage the jaw discrepancy. It might help you further if it's a viable option.

Harmony

#15 Post by Harmony »

Yeah it is hard to imagine what I'd look after braces as my jaw structure will remain the same if I don't go for surgery. Think I need to have a talk with the ortho and put my concerns across. The one who said about surgery said I'd a strong chin point and I may require a simultaneous reduction genioplasty to get the best possible result. I also asked them would I need any extractions and they said no. As for my profile I hate my side profile :( Will post up a few photos now in the next post - the more I look at them the more sad I get so I really need to do something about this.